New Uni's for 2023? (update)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:51 am
cromartie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:21 am
Third, I'm shocked that no one in this thread has noted that the center stripe is gone from the helmet this year.
I like the black helmets without the centre stripes. The orange and black jerseys with all-black helmets make the team look more intimidating, IMO. So far, the new look seems to be working. :)
And they set up well to be the opposite of what I think are hands down the sharpest road unis in the CFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Agreed. I like our home uniforms, but LOVE our roads (provided they've kept the same ones from last year with the black pants).

To the poster who liked the all-orange jerseys and white helmets from the Wally years, I really don't miss those creamsicles at all. Way too much orange. It was a soft look. In 2010, we went back to our 1976/77 look with orange jerseys (part of a league-wide initiative), but they had black numbers, black helmets (and an orange cage!), and grey pants, so the orange was prominent but not dominant. I liked that uniform quite a lot.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I wish they'd add a helmet stripe, even if it's just one single orange stripe. They just look too boring without.
Another thing I've been wondering lately, and it could just be they don't have stock, but it's pretty odd to be sold out of so many jerseys for so long. They also aren't offering stitched numbering right now. It makes me wonder if there is an updated jersey coming in 2023. I've kind of been hoping they'd fix or update these a little. Or even have another throwback.
David
Team Captain

I had to do a double take when I read this. Amar Doman is hinting at new uniforms for 2023...and his wife has a hand in the design. Nothing could go wrong there. 🙄

For the love of God, just give us stability, not new uniforms every 2-3 years. :bang: Do the Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Montreal Canadiens, and New York Yankees keep tinkering with their looks? Our current sets are great, recently voted best in the league, in fact.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see the Lions are holding a big sale on merchandise this month, which is another ominous sign. I recently spent over $200 on a new orange and black home jersey. I hope it’s not obsolete before it’s worn.

The Lions have the best uniforms in the league, and have sold a lot of jerseys in the current style in recent years. Brand consistency and number legibility (my biggest peeve with the alternate gunmetals) are paramount with uniform design. Don’t mess it up.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with David, let's have some stability. What fan would spend couple of hundred bucks for a new jersey only to have a new one the following year and the year after ?
Foxhound
Starter

I have no problem wearing a jersey that a team wore 50+ years ago. I n fact I think it's really cool.

:mac:
Radically Canadian!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:27 pm
Agree with David, let's have some stability. What fan would spend couple of hundred bucks for a new jersey only to have a new one the following year and the year after ?
Lol. Bosco would. :wink:

I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. Only replica I have it the classic Merv jersey showing in my avatar. Bought that around 1985 and only wear it at Grey Cup. I do however have 3 game worn Lions jerseys.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

First thing, the Lions are not the Cowboys, Packers or Canadiens. As much as you'd love them to have this fabled uniform, they don't. But you could compare them to other classic teams that do update or tweak their uniforms once in a while. I agree if they came out with one that was totally solid, they don't need to change it for a while, or just update a third uni on top of it. But I don't think they nailed it with the current one. (I'm referring to the main home and aways, which were not part of that top ranked uniform recently) They were just slightly adjusted when New Era took over and I always expected they'd make some changes to those, which is why i didnt buy one. For example, can someone explain to me why on the fan versions of their current unis, the stripe along the arm is square on the back of the sleeve but rounded on the front? Seems like a strange design choice. Personally I wouldn't mind if they came out with a classic style uniform with the 70s or 80s style striping and kept the gun metals as a modern look. I also don't think anyone should feel bad if they bought the current one and find out they changed it. It's still part of a specific era of BC Lions history.
squishy35
Legend

Honour Dewalt wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:53 pm
First thing, the Lions are not the Cowboys, Packers or Canadiens. As much as you'd love them to have this fabled uniform, they don't. But you could compare them to other classic teams that do update or tweak their uniforms once in a while. I agree if they came out with one that was totally solid, they don't need to change it for a while, or just update a third uni on top of it. But I don't think they nailed it with the current one. (I'm referring to the main home and aways, which were not part of that top ranked uniform recently) They were just slightly adjusted when New Era took over and I always expected they'd make some changes to those, which is why i didnt buy one. For example, can someone explain to me why on the fan versions of their current unis, the stripe along the arm is square on the back of the sleeve but rounded on the front? Seems like a strange design choice. Personally I wouldn't mind if they came out with a classic style uniform with the 70s or 80s style striping and kept the gun metals as a modern look. I also don't think anyone should feel bad if they bought the current one and find out they changed it. It's still part of a specific era of BC Lions history.
Agree. I loved the 80's design and he most recent early 2000's Orange Crush Uni's. Basic design but distinctive :good:
Honour Dewalt
Champion

The thing with the 2000s was they didn't have the same classic look. No striped on the helmet, no arm strip and I thought the pant stripes should have been reversed in colour. Orange cage instead of black also makes a big difference. I'd be happy as long as they keep some kind or traditional elements from the past. I was happy in the 2000s when they went back to dominant Orange colours from the black and silver look, but they still lacked a bit. I do really like the new gun metals with that Lions fave logo. But the way they changed it from the original set makes it seem like a shade lighter of grey, where you really see the difference on the shoulders. The originals didnt have that so they looked more flat black than grey.

I do understand the desire to keep something steady and not change all the time, but when they don't have the one you wish they had, it's hard to just stay with it. Like that's basically why the Canucks have stuck with the Orca logo, to keep the brand consistent, but most people hate the orca. Now people are loving the skate again, which also isn't great.

At least when the Lions change they are still keeping the same colours, unlike the Canucks.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

At the very least, they should sell older retro jerseys in their shop. The fact they don't is crazy.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I knew it. New uniforms.

Black at home. Fog grey on road. I only wish there was a third orange jersey, but I like that road jersey actually.

https://store.bclions.com/

https://www.bclions.com/2023/04/12/blac ... ng-future/
MacNews
Team Captain

Honour Dewalt wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:16 am
I knew it. New uniforms.

Black at home. Fog grey on road. I only wish there was a third orange jersey, but I like that road jersey actually.

https://store.bclions.com/

https://www.bclions.com/2023/04/12/blac ... ng-future/
I'm sure there will be a third jersey surprise during a home game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Disappointing, especially since I just spent over $200 on an orange Whitehead jersey as a gift. I’m overdue to buy a new jersey of my own but I’m not sure I like this design enough to order one.