Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:11 pm

Part of me was hoping we could sign Maleek Irons (Hamilton), re-sign Moore and have Jamel Lyles as an All-Canadian backfield. That's not likely to happen now that Irons has re-signed with the Ti-Cats.

DH :cool:
And Irons never became an FA. He re-signed the day before that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

Tyler Packer re-signed; interesting O-line prospect, huge and from a good program.

And word on the possibility of signing last year's first rounder - DE D. Joseph? Seen him rated as a possible late round NFL draft pick, so maybe a Lions no-show. IF he does come to camp, in with Menard & Betts as NI DEs - but nice depth/potential problem to have.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Our off-season spending receipt courtesy of 3 Down Nation's top salaries.
The lone player ranked who already was under contract is Bo Lokombo who is great value at $121,000 for 2022.

Whitehead is apparently much closer to $200,000 with a complex deal loaded with bonuses.

First number represents salary ranking at their position. So who had Woody Barron at the top? And Sukh Chungh has a heck of an agent.

2) Woody Baron (A)
Hard money: $190,000

Maximum value: $195,000

4) Mathieu Betts (N)
Hard money: $160,000

Maximum value: $189,000

8) Sukh Chungh, (N)
Hard money: $160,000

Maximum value: $185,000

T-4) Bryan Burnham
Signing bonus: $50,000

Base salary: $103,000

Hard money: $165,000

10) Steven Richardson (A)
Hard money: $112,000

Maximum value: $160,000

19) Joel Figueroa,(A)
Hard money: $125,000

Maximum value: $155,000

7) David Menard, (N)
Hard money: $137,000

Maximum value: $152,500

4) T.J. Lee, (A)
Hard money: $130,000

Maximum value: $140,000

4) Loucheiz Purifoy (A)
Hard money: $110,000

Maximum value: $146,000

12) Delvin Breaux, (A)
Hard money: $105,000

Maximum value: $140,000

13) Lucky Whitehead, (A)
Signing bonus: $50,000

Base salary: $70,000

Hard money: $132,000
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 pm

And Sukh Chungh has a heck of an agent.
To quote a buddy I worked with for several years "What interests my boss fantasizes the hell out of me."

Might have been a CLM (career limiting manouver) to tell Doman that they weren't re-signing their only South Asian? :rotf:
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Excuse this question/comment being a little off-topic for this thread (i.e. not Free Agents) although the thread has previously already wandered into upcoming CFL draft territory; Was just reading a couple articles (JC Abbott and John Hodge) over on 3DownNation concerning the just-completed Combine. One if not both (can't just now recall) writers mentioned a running-back (Adam Machart) who did well, and it was mentioned (by Hodge I think) that the Lions are anticipated to go National at the running-back position this coming season. I think I've heard a bit of similar if fleeting speculation on this forum by some Lionbackers as well. This is interesting to me. So, has the Lions' coaching staff ever given any credence to this notion verbally? I suppose actions can speak louder than words, in that they recently signed Wayne Moore. And while I'm off-topic; when does the CFL Scouting Bureau usually announce their Spring ranking?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Excuse this question/comment being a little off-topic for this thread (i.e. not Free Agents) although the thread has previously already wandered into upcoming CFL draft territory; Was just reading a couple articles (JC Abbott and John Hodge) over on 3DownNation concerning the just-completed Combine. One if not both (can't just now recall) writers mentioned a running-back (Adam Machart) who did well, and it was mentioned (by Hodge I think) that the Lions are anticipated to go National at the running-back position this coming season. I think I've heard a bit of similar if fleeting speculation on this forum by some Lionbackers as well. This is interesting to me. So, has the Lions' coaching staff ever given any credence to this notion verbally?[/b] I suppose actions can speak louder than words, in that they recently signed Wayne Moore. And while I'm off-topic; when does the CFL Scouting Bureau usually announce their Spring ranking?

I think (A)James Butler returns on the second year of his rookie contract as the starting RB, backed up by a group of (N) RBs who also play Special Teams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:03 pm
Excuse this question/comment being a little off-topic for this thread (i.e. not Free Agents) although the thread has previously already wandered into upcoming CFL draft territory; Was just reading a couple articles (JC Abbott and John Hodge) over on 3DownNation concerning the just-completed Combine. One if not both (can't just now recall) writers mentioned a running-back (Adam Machart) who did well, and it was mentioned (by Hodge I think) that the Lions are anticipated to go National at the running-back position this coming season. I think I've heard a bit of similar if fleeting speculation on this forum by some Lionbackers as well. This is interesting to me. So, has the Lions' coaching staff ever given any credence to this notion verbally? I suppose actions can speak louder than words, in that they recently signed Wayne Moore. And while I'm off-topic; when does the CFL Scouting Bureau usually announce their Spring ranking?
In Hodge's article he also mention that BC along with Winnipeg were the only 2 teams who didn't interview the 5'7" 189 pound Machart. If he were considered a bowling ball type RB it would be a 5 pin bowling ball. If BC were to go with one of the Philpots in their first slot I think they have more pressing depth needs at other positions (OL, DL & LB) to use for their #12 spot. Maybe if he's still available at #22 they take a shot. If they want to look RB they should consider Daniel Adebobye out of Bryant who is more pro-sized checking in at 5'9-1/2" 218# and beat Machart in every one of the combine categories.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Agreed, we have more pressing depth needs in those positions you list (OL, DL) Hambone, plus I misread the line about Machart's interviews in Hodge's article (mistakenly thinking the Lions had interviewed him). But all the same, the mention (right or wrong) of the Lions going National at RB caught my interest, left me wondering. Perhaps I misread that as well. LOL. (Sleep too often in short supply!) And yes, agreed--Daniel Adebobye is one to consider if indeed you're looking at RBs. Re the Philpots; JC Abbott's interesting assessment of combine performances had them "falling" where others were "rising", for whatever that's worth, though he still saw them as first-rounders.
OV:54-40
Starter

Adeboboye & Machart both tested very well to back up their excellent college ball production - both would be nice picks, and maybe one or both is available 2nd round or later; there is also Queens' RB Rasheed Tucker who tested pretty well. I saw Machart play in the Semi & the Vanier and he was very impressive IMO - a quick, shifty back and solid between the tackles - 190 pounds on a 5-8 frame is pretty solid - Pinball & Charles Roberts were a couple of top CFL backs who played smaller, but could still run tough inside. One of those RBs to back up Butler - who I agree looked pretty good late last season - might be nice to have. Wayne Moore is IMO not in at same skill level as a ball carrier, but a bigger body guy who can block and play STs.

One of the Philpots might still be a good pick with the 1st choice - they maybe did not overly impress with testing #s, but their receiver production for the Dinos was outstanding. Need at NI receiver with the departures of Durant & Johnson. There are several other U Sports receivers who tested well and could be had mid to late rounds; I wonder if former pick Cordell Hastings might still emerge for some playing time though.

A couple of the big O-linemen who were highly rated - Zerr & Fry - did not put up good testing #s for O-Linemen, and they may slip down to not top picks; but there is still a good group of other U Sports all-star O-Linemen in this crop, and one of them should be around by 2nd round if the need is to go there.

Still think drafting a safety prospect is a good idea and there are several IMO - the smallish Herzog from US college ball put up a very good set of testing #s and was a repeat Conference all-star with 100 tackle seasons. Might be a couple of later round sleepers at the position as well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:24 pm
Agreed, we have more pressing depth needs in those positions you list (OL, DL) Hambone, plus I misread the line about Machart's interviews in Hodge's article (mistakenly thinking the Lions had interviewed him). But all the same, the mention (right or wrong) of the Lions going National at RB caught my interest, left me wondering. Perhaps I misread that as well. LOL. (Sleep too often in short supply!) And yes, agreed--Daniel Adebobye is one to consider if indeed you're looking at RBs. Re the Philpots; JC Abbott's interesting assessment of combine performances had them "falling" where others were "rising", for whatever that's worth, though he still saw them as first-rounders.
I think RB fits into the category of if a prospect ia sitting at the top of their board at the time their turn comes up then maybe you take him......unless there is another position more of need one or two names farther down. Reaching down a couple names for a LB, OL or DL is justifiable for BC in this particular draft. Reaching down for a RB doesn't make sense IMO. Machart's size doesn't seem to lend itself to playing special teams while biding his time for offensive playing time.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Probably our biggest free agent signing of them all, at least on the defensive side, is not out for a significant time.
(Vancouver)- Lions co-GM/head coach Rick Campbell has issued the following statement on DL Steven Richardson:

“Steven Richardson suffered a significant injury during a workout session last week while preparing for the season and will be out for a significant amount of time. He is already on the road to recovery and we hope to get him back for the stretch run of the season.”
Damn!!!!!!!
David
Team Captain

This was a huge gut punch to wake up to this morning. We need as much push up front to make up for a league-low 23 sacks last season and Stove was going to provide that for us. I wonder what happens now. Any unsigned CFL FA defensive tackles of note? Will they scour FA camps in the USA? Trade perhaps?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:17 pm
This was a huge gut punch to wake up to this morning. We need as much push up front to make up for a league-low 23 sacks last season and Stove was going to provide that for us. I wonder what happens now. Any unsigned CFL FA defensive tackles of note? Will they scour FA camps in the USA? Trade perhaps?

And perhaps this unfortunate and impactful injury to Stove Richardson (and thus our D-line) will influence the Lions' thinking re who to take as their first-round pick in the upcoming draft. Deionte Knight is the top-rated defensive lineman. I think he's been consistently listed among the top 10 prospects throughout the past year. Does anyone know if he's considered a project or someone that can play now?
Qman
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 pm
David wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:17 pm

And perhaps this unfortunate and impactful injury to Stove Richardson (and thus our D-line) will influence the Lions' thinking re who to take as their first-round pick in the upcoming draft. Deionte Knight is the top-rated defensive lineman. I think he's been consistently listed among the top 10 prospects throughout the past year. Does anyone know if he's considered a project or someone that can play now?
All cdn draft picks are projects. Your not going to get a difference maker.

Only hope is rigmaiden finds someone … just like stove was at some point
David
Team Captain

I think pretty much all draftees are considered 'projects' to some extent. To expect a draft pick to step in and get Richardson's production, or something even close to it, is unrealistic.

I am hoping it's an injury that doesn't affect his ability to stay active. For example, if it's a torn ACL, he can still lift weights (in due course) and stay strong. If it's a torn bicep, not so much.

Roar, You Lions, Roar