Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What position does the Philpots brothers play ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions appear to be just going with one N receiver in Cottoy this season, but a Philpot could be a backup this season and penciled in to start in 2023
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:11 pm

Just curious... has any one of the two teams picking ahead of the Lions (i.e. Elks or RedBlacks) already indicated zero interest in either of the Philpot brothers? Otherwise obviously the brothers could be gone by the 3rd pick.
Unless it's the team holding 1st overall pick it's extremely rare, if not unheard of, for a GM to tip his hand before the draft. As a rule they keep their cards close to the chest. If they were to indicate a lack of interest competing GMs would take it with a grain of salt lest the other guy is trying to sandbag them. Even if Campbell & McEvoy assumed the Elks and REDBLACKS had other interests there's nothing stopping other teams from trading up. Highly improbable both would be gone but could be a decent chance one is.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:18 pm
What position does the Philpots brothers play ?
Both are receivers but no clue if they have been playing as wideouts or slotbacks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:32 pm
I guess the Philpots could go 1-2; but wouldn't bet on it; the EE have some experienced Canadian receivers on the roster, and Ottawa has added some new talent there this off-season.
I wouldn't bet on it either as I think both EE and RBs have more pressing needs. Ottawa more likely as they lag a bit behind Edmonton in both depth and quality of their NAT receivers.

Edmonton I think needs to address other needs first as they only have that 1st overall pick then have to wait for #19 and #21. #19 is that bonus quasi-compensatory pick (compensating for sucking big) that must be a player born within their territorial rights area as per the CFL Constitution. That narrows down their options to players born in the part of Alberta that is north of the 52nd Parallel which cuts across at the southern town limits of Innisfail. Calgary gets the rest of the province. But hey we are talking Chris Jones so who knows what's on his mind. In his 3 years running the Rider draft he took 8 OL, 4 DL, 4 LB, 2 WR, 1 DB, 1 K and 1 TE. The 2 receivers were taken at #37 & #62 respectively so obviously not a priority for him. The TE was Antony Auclair who is still in the NFL. Who knows whether Jones saw him as a TE, SB or DE conversion.
OV:54-40
Starter

Yeah - who knows with CFL draft thinking; and especially what Jones will do (i bet he could be fleeced for the #1 overall)

Recent CFL site article about a new RedBlacks personnel guy (formerly with the green Riders) and their draft thinking; trotted out the good old "best player" cliche - I still don't get what that means - how do you compare the top DT say to the top receiver - as football is so position specific. Do scouts have some sort of magic formula to arrive at "best player"? Maybe if the guy was a 4 year starter and all-star and top stats guy in college ball, plus outstanding set of testing #s and there was nobody else with close to that kind of resume ? (and if there was such a guy this CFL draft it might be QB Tre Ford)

Anyhow - IMO the RedBlacks all of a sudden have a pretty good crop of Canadian talent - via free agency, plus they have the possibility of up to 5 picks from their last draft showing up (one - all-star O-Lineman Connor Berglof - already signed), including a couple of Div. I D starters. So I think they can look anywhere in this draft with no real pressing need. I believe the Argos are the same way.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

To answer someone's question... Jalen Philpot plays the slot, and Tyson Philpot plays wide-out.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Is it safe to say the jury is out big time whether the GM duo of McElvoy/Campbell put the Lions on par with the top management teams in the league?

Now that we are seeing more salary disclosure we're going to find out if Woody Baron ($190,000) is worth being paid the 2nd highest among defensive tackles in the league. Mathieu Betts 4th ($160,000) among DEs. For $10,000 more they could have had an impact and established national DE in Boeteng ($168,500)? Hell, no one would have blinked if it was $20,000 more.

Or extending Sukh Chungh ($160,000) back in December and keeping him among the top 10 paid offensive lineman in the league. Is he really among the top in the league at his position?

And apparently we are still way under the cap thanks to having a $79,000 starting QB.

I will give McElvoy/Campbell credit for locking up our own FAs (Whitehead/Cottoy/Burnham) and they certainly didn't go the "safe" route with a number of their free agent signings at the dollar value they offered.
But they are going to look like geniuses or spending money like drunken sailors on players nowhere near worth that value.
OV:54-40
Starter

You make it sound like they could just sign whoever they want, when the reality is there are other teams in competition.

Players might sign with a team for a bunch of reasons, and not just for dollar$ - connections to an old GM or coach or team-mate; like or dis-like of a city; desire to be closer to home Province.

Kwaku Boatneg is from Ontario and maybe he likes DC Benny in Ottawa.

The Lions managed to sign 2 Quebec guys free agents at DE instead; Menard (way better season than Boateng last year IMO), and Betts (big-time disappointment last season IMO with the EE, but still has one of the best DE pro prospect resumes all-time in Canadian college ball (IMO). Maybe it was just from offering top dollar or maybe there were other reasons (Menard been here before).

Locking up Burnham, Whitehead & Cottoy as a big 3 targets for the young QBs was pretty smart or lucky IMO. So was adding some experienced D players via free agency (former all-star Breaux was quite the surprise); that ex-NFL speedster might add some big play ability as a returner or extra weapon on offence.

The young QBs may be the big question marks heading into the season; maybe the O-Line as well with the loss of Steward, but the assumption may be there that adding an extra import to the unit is some sort of guaranteed magic bullet fix?

Jury may be out still. I believe the verdict may be a nice surprising one though; combined with Mr. Doman's efforts - for some real nice rewards. CFL off-season and team building (along with the need to re-invigorate a fan base) is always super interesting to me - really looking forward to the 2022 Lions.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

My biggest concern is lack of experience with the QBs and OC/playcaller. However hiring Burris as a QB consultant, even if he is doing mostly zoom calls from his home in Chicago once the season starts, very much addresses my concerns.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to 3downnation.com, the Lions have signed RB Wayne Moore. Moore was a valuable FB, RB and special teamer before a car accident led to his retirement for the 2021 season. He is now reportedly fully recovered.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/22/b-c- ... yne-moore/
Dusty
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm
My biggest concern is lack of experience with the QBs and OC/playcaller. However hiring Burris as a QB consultant, even if he is doing mostly zoom calls from his home in Chicago once the season starts, very much addresses my concerns.
I share your concern about the QB's. However, I'm not sure I can share your relief that a remotely situated QB consultant who will be watching TV broadcasts (hopefully supplemented by end zone game tapes) will be able to get "close enough" to the game experience to build the experience level of the QB. There are so many things that go on leading up to a play as well as during a play that are not shown on a TV broadcast that essentially, follows the ball.

Don't get me wrong.... I sincerely hope it works..... I just am not seeing how it works.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:04 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm
I share your concern about the QB's. However, I'm not sure I can share your relief that a remotely situated QB consultant who will be watching TV broadcasts (hopefully supplemented by end zone game tapes) will be able to get "close enough" to the game experience to build the experience level of the QB. There are so many things that go on leading up to a play as well as during a play that are not shown on a TV broadcast that essentially, follows the ball.

Don't get me wrong.... I sincerely hope it works..... I just am not seeing how it works.....
I could be mistaken, but my understanding of Game Day Film is that it is taken from the spotters booth and shows a full sideline view. At the very least, Burris will get the same video clips that the QBs get in their meetings.

Thanks to Covid, this is now the Zoom Video Age, and I am glad to see the Lions attempt to put it to use.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:19 pm
According to 3downnation.com, the Lions have signed RB Wayne Moore. Moore was a valuable FB, RB and special teamer before a car accident led to his retirement for the 2021 season. He is now reportedly fully recovered.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/22/b-c- ... yne-moore/
This is a sneaky good re-signing. Moore has impressed me every time he's played, albeit a fairly small sample size (25 games). He's a big enough back that he can block well and be a disruptive special teamer.

Part of me was hoping we could sign Maleek Irons (Hamilton), re-sign Moore and have Jamel Lyles as an All-Canadian backfield. That's not likely to happen now that Irons has re-signed with the Ti-Cats.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:24 am
Dusty wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:04 am

I could be mistaken, but my understanding of Game Day Film is that it is taken from the spotters booth and shows a full sideline view. At the very least, Burris will get the same video clips that the QBs get in their meetings.

Thanks to Covid, this is now the Zoom Video Age, and I am glad to see the Lions attempt to put it to use.
Pretty confident that's the way it works. They were using film for such excercises long before every game was televised. Using TV feeds would greatly limit the ability to break down film. When coaches and players break down video they need to see the entire field and all players........on every play. They can't rely on the limited look TV angles offer, which generally focuses on where the ball is and little else.