CFL Coach Most likely to be fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CFL Head Coach most likely to be fired?

1) Rick Campbell
No votes
2) Paul Lapolice
No votes
3) Jaime Elizondo
50%
4) Other
No votes
5) No One
50%

Total votes: 4
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wally's task will be to advise the Elks BOD on filling the GM role. Having fired Presson, Sunderund and Elizondo the BOD will need all the experience they can possibly tap in that regard. All that's left of their FOPs is Asst GM Bobby Merritt, Director FOPs Kris Hagerman and Asst Director FOPs Nick Pelletier. None are long on CFL experience. Merritt took on his current role back in April. He was their Director of Scouting from 2018-2020 after first coming to the CFL as a regional scout for Ottawa in 2017. Hagerman and Pelletier are similar to Neil McEvoy but with 15 years less experience. Both joined the club's business ops in entry level positions around 2012-13 and transfered into the FOPs side of the business around 2015-16. Both assumed their current roles in 2019.

I don't think LeLacheur would go back unless he wants to retire there. Even then he might only go back to pitch in under an advisory role. He has a bit of a task himself right now being to help find a replacement for himself in BC. He's made it fairly clear that he's not terribly interested in staying in the game beyond that.

Johnnymusso made a good call on Danny Mac. The right combination of experience and of course fits the Edmonton love for people having former Eskimo on their resume.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing that I had forgotten is that Wally also was brought in by Montreal in 2019 for the exact same purpose, to help take care of business while helping advise for the replacement for Kavis Reed. Danny Maciocia would wind up with the gig.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm
One thing that I had forgotten is that Wally also was brought in by Montreal in 2019 for the exact same purpose, to help take care of business while helping advise for the replacement for Kavis Reed. Danny Maciocia would wind up with the gig.
Maciocia got the job after Rigmaiden reportedly turned it down. I see four people from the Lions being potential candidates: Rigmaiden, McEvoy, Campbell, Simon. As well as our ex-GM Hervey.
Reg18
Starter

I wonder if ringmaiden gets the lions gm job and whohe might choose as HC?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Reg18 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 am
Did I miss something? Did Campbell and McEvoy just get fired?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:25 am
Reg18 wrote:
I think he meant to say Edmonton.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 am
DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:25 am
Reg18 wrote:
I think he meant to say Edmonton.
Yeah, guess you are correct, but there are some Lions fans who think Campbell should be fired after the team misses the playoffs yet again. I'm not one of them because with all the starting rookies, I'm just glad the Lions didn't finish in last place.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Dave Naylor, the Lions have given Ottawa permission to speak to Neil McEvoy, Geroy Simon and Ryan Rigmaiden about their GM position.

David
Team Captain

I am confused. I know McEvoy is a co-GM (with Campbell) but does this mean that the Leos are also in the hunt for a new GM? What is his contract status with the club. Even if it was a 1-year deal that expired, does this (de facto) not mean they are okay with him leaving?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 pm
I am confused. I know McEvoy is a co-GM (with Campbell) but does this mean that the Leos are also in the hunt for a new GM? What is his contract status with the club. Even if it was a 1-year deal that expired, does this (de facto) not mean they are okay with him leaving?

Interesting to say the least. If Doman is satisfied with the Campbell/McElvoy combo then why give permission? Is Campbell going to do a Wally and be GM/coach then drop the DC position?
I just hope someone is talking to the likes of Whitehead, Cottoy, Burnham, Peters & Lee on new contracts before free agency
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Doman can be satisfied with his co-GMs and still give permission to talk to another team about a sole GM job that amounts to a promotion.

Sometimes guys go thru the interview process for the experience even though the job will not be theirs.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 am
David wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 pm
I am confused. I know McEvoy is a co-GM (with Campbell) but does this mean that the Leos are also in the hunt for a new GM? What is his contract status with the club? Even if it was a 1-year deal that expired, does this (de facto) not mean they are okay with him leaving?

If Doman is satisfied with the Campbell/McElvoy combo then why give permission?
Yup. That's where I am going with this. I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.

I am okay with Conservative Campbell coming back as HC, albeit on a short leash, but I really would like a new DC. Someone like Mike Benevides or Noel Thorpe, both of whom have ties to the Lower Mainland. Not sure if Ryan Phillips is ready for that promotion or not (but also not sure if we can afford a new DC).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones named coach and GM of the Elks. Anybody surprised ?

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-elks-chris-jones-1.1737714
David
Team Captain

In light of what they can save with a dual HC/GM role (given what they're already paying out), Jones' hiring doesn't surprise me. He has a history with the organization.

It was a safe hiring (any coincidence that 'safe' describes Wally Buono too?). But not likely one that will get disgruntled Elks fans reaching for their wallets to drop down season-ticket deposits.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 am
Chris Jones named coach and GM of the Elks. Anybody surprised ?

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-elks-chris-jones-1.1737714
Everyone loves a winner until he bolts at the first opportunity. I wouldn't be happy if he had burned my team before.