Most Likely Change in 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Most Likely Change Next Season

1) Mike Reilly Retires or is Cut
22%
2) Campbell is Fired
No votes
3) Rick L retires and new president is hired
33%
4) Chungh is Cut
11%
5) OC is fired and new one hired
11%
6) New DC from outside organization hired
No votes
7) New DL coach is hired and ex Lion doing now fired or back to being an assistant DL coach
22%
8) Campbell & Neil M - resign as co GM and new GM is hired
No votes
9 Other - fill in the blank
No votes

Total votes: 9
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Leroy Blugh was supposed to be our DL coach this year. I think either he is rehired or a new DL coach is hired. The ex Lion who got the job by default was in over head and think he will be fired or demoted and a new more experienced DL coach comes in.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

All are possible scenarios. Lions will get Claybrooks salary off the books and need to spend that on defensive coaching. Maybe even him since he is good friends with Campbell.

However, a new president is the safest bet given Rick was lured out of retirement by Braley and Doman wanting his own guy overseeing everything is only a logical step as a new owner.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:08 am
All are possible scenarios. Lions will get Claybrooks salary off the books and need to spend that on defensive coaching. Maybe even him since he is good friends with Campbell.

However, a new president is the safest bet given Rick was lured out of retirement by Braley and Doman wanting his own guy overseeing everything is only a logical step as a new owner.
Agreed. A new team president is almost a certainty given LeLacheur’s past comments about staying on through the ownership transition. Doman will want someone who reflects his vision for change.

Claybrooks would be a good hire for the coaching staff. He could double as DC and DL coach, filling two areas of need.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Campbell should fire the Special Teams coach and take on the role himself, assuming he gets Claybrooks or someone else to be DC.

I would like to see OC Maksymic gone but a new rookie play caller might not be the answer and if Reilly stays, then I guess Reilly gets to pick the OC and it will likely be Maksymic again but hopefully he is better at play calling in 2022 vs 2021.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:42 am
Campbell should fire the Special Teams coach and take on the role himself, assuming he gets Claybrooks or someone else to be DC.

I would like to see OC Maksymic gone but a new rookie play caller might not be the answer and if Reilly stays, then I guess Reilly gets to pick the OC and it will likely be Maksymic again but hopefully he is better at play calling in 2022 vs 2021.
I actually think Makysmic could be a very good OC over time with more experience. A tendency to call too many deep balls and passes in general isn’t a horrible thing compared to an ultra conservative coordinator. Hopefully he has learned the importance of establishing the run game. That has been more evident last few games.

My concern is letting him go and it’s a Khari Jones scenario all over again where he was essentially blamed for Jennings poor 2017 season and sent packing by Wally for Jarious Jackson. Jones has since thrived in Montreal to become HC
DanoT
Hall of Famer

IMO, a complete tear down and start over is a step backwards and while the Lions have been out coached at times, there needs to be enough breathing room for most of the coaching staff to gain experience and improve. Same goes for all the rookies and new players.

Williams, Hardin, Cooper-Edwards, Joyner, Butler, Flintoff..all raw rookie starters who have played pretty well and should be even better next season, but that is way too many starting rookies to expect a playoff caliber team.
Reg18
Starter

I wonder if jevoncottoy might try to follow Braydenlenius to the. NFL? It's being reported that leniud has received multiple offers. I think that cottoy might succeed and catch on with an NFL team. Eve no though Jevondidtplay u s college ball his body of work with the Lions should help him if that's the way he wants to go.i hope he stays with the Lions but the dollars could be huge. .
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:35 pm
I wonder if jevoncottoy might try to follow Braydenlenius to the. NFL? It's being reported that leniud has received multiple offers. I think that cottoy might succeed and catch on with an NFL team. Eve no though Jevondidtplay u s college ball his body of work with the Lions should help him if that's the way he wants to go.i hope he stays with the Lions but the dollars could be huge. .
Cottoy got some NFL workouts in 2020 when the CFL didn't play. I don't know the details other than what we all know, that he was back in the CFL for 2021.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan reporting last night the Lions are expected to name a new president sometime next week with the retiring Rick LeLacheur staying on to oversee the transition.

Will be interesting to see who Doman has in mind for his first significant hire and if this person was involved at all with putting together their outstanding season opener.
David
Team Captain

Interesting. I believe Rick L has been a good steward. Braley brought him over from Edmonton and he has really worked hard to make inroads in Vancouver's business community.

To me, this candidate has to really know his way around a spreadsheet, have a great contact list in the business community, know the market and its quirks and challenges (as they relate to Vancouver sports teams), young enough to relate to the needs of the 18-34 y.o. demographic, and have a real flair for marketing and bold ideas.

Before Rick was hired, Marco Iannuzzi, a Harvard business grad, made it known he was keen for the job. He would be an intriguing candidate.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

As David says, Marco Iannuzzi would definitely be "an intriguing candidate."

I fully agree at least from what I see from him on Linkedin and I believe he's generally well connected in the local business community and other communities in Vancouver and beyond. He touches a lot of boxes from what I see from his Linkedin activity and posting that suggests he's a very positive, decent human being who believes and lives diversity and inclusion suggesting he'd reach beyond just the biz group.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcoiannuzzi/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy