Radio Show says No One Cares about the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Driving to work today I listened to some of the morning show H & B and they said they had not talked about the Lions yet because " No one cares". They said no one watched the game or knew it was even on. They were only mentioning it now because tomorrow the new owner will be a guest on their radio show and they plan to ask him why he even bothered buying the Lions for No one cares about them anymore and no longer relevant in the Vancouver market. And they added they had not received one text all morning about the Lions.

What do you guys think of these comments?

Lions seem dead in this market and get little media coverage and those guys who did talk about the Lions and still care no longer on the radio and we left with guys like H & B who treat the Lions like a dead dog that can never rise up again. Seems a new owner has his work cut out for him to create even some interest. This offseason is critical. Lions cannot have another terrible year next year or they may fold in a few years.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A 6-game (2 month) losing streak will do that. There was plenty of buzz when they were 4-2, announced the new owner and did the terrific First Nation collaboration with the logo for Orange Shirt Day.

H&B are correct that no casual fan is going to care when the team hits the skids like this and has had a bad product on the field for far too long. They just move on to other interests especially during the NHL and NFL season.

We will soon find out what type of businessman Doman is with team he now owns that is putting out an inferior product. How much patience does he have?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's a catch 22. No coverage by the local media hence how is the public aware of what's happening. Viewership on TSN would suggest that there is still interest in the Lions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I stopped listening to Vancouver sports radio years ago when Vancouver sports radio stopped caring about the Lions and went all in on the Canucks. I’d love to hear as much detail about Lions’ practices and roster moves as listeners hear about the Canucks but it’s probably true that you often wouldn’t know it was game day by listening to the radio. The Lions brand is strong throughout B.C. and the traditional fan base is loyal but it’s tough to attract new fans when local media don’t attend practices or report on what’s happening with the team.

With a new owner, new coaching staff, winning record and a successful orange shirt campaign, the Lions were the talk of the town before their current 6-game losing streak. Give fans exciting football and a reason to hope and they’ll be back.
David
Team Captain

I don't listen to Halford and Brough simply because they DON'T talk about the Lions (or certainly very rarely and never anything positive). Well, that and I don't find them as funny/clever as they think they are. They would rather talk about their favourite teams: the Canucks, Seahawks and Whitecaps. Yawn.

Brough is marginally a Lions fan from their glory years in the 80s (Halford not at all) so by telling themselves no one cares they can justify their decision to ignore them. But a big part of why they get few texts about the Lions is that Lions fans (like me) stopped going there for content a long time ago.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

who the heck is H and B? what station are they on?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well put KIA. You know, the Lions certainly aren't the hot ticket in town but the media has more than it's fair share of mouthpieces that are more in love with the sounds of their own voices as opposed to doing anything constructive. So they have the new owner coming in and they set it up as this completely negative event. Way to do your job! Talk about shortsighted. I wouldn't blame Doman if he did a no show stating what would be the point. No one cares about your show or is listening. Whatever else you can say, Doman is a wealthy incredibly successful businessman who put his money where his mouth is. These two clowns are local talk show hosts. I know which one is more impressive to me.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Doman's interview with Halford & Brough aired for 14 minutes on Sportsnet 650. As usual, he spoke passionately about his commitment to the team and the league. He expressed full confidence in the team's management and talked about creating a better game-day experience, including tailgating with music and better half-time shows, new ticket packages to attract more families and trying to improve concessions at B.C. Place.

Halford & Brough interview
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:56 am
Doman's interview with Halford & Brough aired for 14 minutes on Sportsnet 650. As usual, he spoke passionately about his commitment to the team and the league. He expressed full confidence in the team's management and talked about creating a better game-day experience, including tailgating with music and better half-time shows, new ticket packages to attract more families and trying to improve concessions at B.C. Place.

Halford & Brough interview
I admire his passion and am optimistic about his vision for the future. What can help immensely though is the on-field product. Restoring a winning culture here that we haven't seen in a decade. We will need several sustained seasons of a :666 plus winning percentage and an exciting, creative offense. All the other ideas will help but it starts there.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Knowit All said:

Who the heck is H and B? what station are they on?

I could not remember their names and was just too lazy to look it up. Halford and Brough. I personally don't like these 2 and never have. Don't find them funny or entertaining and surprised they so popular. But I remember in early 70's to late 70's when the Lions were just as popular or more so than the Canucks. That will never happen again, but I think they could return to the time when Lions were good under Buono, but they cannot suffer another bad year next season. This off season is critical for the owner to begin the process to win back the fans, but no idea what he will do. We should find out soon after the off season.