Lions at Tiger-Cats Nov. 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:03 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:05 pm
Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Uh. It was a Hail Mary on the last play of the game. Any receiver in the end zone would have six players near it.
I appreciate that. Lions should have at the very least another receiver in the vicinity for a possible tip ball. On the replay there was ONE receiver surrounded by 6 Ti-Cats
Yeah no idea why Burnham and Rhymes weren’t by each other in the end zone. Two of our biggest receivers.
I have a very good idea as to why Burnham and Rhymes weren't in the end zone: the play calling and playbook from Reilly's rookie OC has sucked all season.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:41 pm
What is the point of dressing Rourke if he can't play ?
I wouldn't say he couldn't play per se. More like the risk of aggravating the injury by playing was fairly low but the thought process was likely that if he didn't have to go in, why take that risk and not let him heal?

Mike Reilly wasn't the problem last night, on short-yardage or otherwise.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:01 am
I don’t get how Campbell didn’t require Hamilton to turn off their headsets though.
Campbell not knowing the rules ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s a bit late, as were the play calls from the spotter’s booth, but here are JC Abbott’s thoughts on the game.

https://3downnation.com/2021/11/06/lion ... ight-loss/
David
Team Captain

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Campbell's ineptitude toward the end of the first half on our time count violation. It was obvious to anyone watching that we were not going to get the play off in time. Instead, he just let the clock run to zero instead of calling a timeout to help out Reilly and his offense. This of course led to third down (loss of down) and a punting situation that led to a Hamilton major.

Pretty inexcusable from where I sit.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:49 am
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Campbell's ineptitude toward the end of the first half on our time count violation. It was obvious to anyone watching that we were not going to get the play off in time. Instead, he just let the clock run to zero instead of calling a timeout to help out Reilly and his offense. This of course led to third down (loss of down) and a punting situation that led to a Hamilton major.

At the time, I wasn't worried about the time count (only 5 yards back), but I was unaware that it meant a loss of down.... Apparently, I was not the only one....
BC 1988
Legend

I watched the game the next day on the pvr and didn't concentrate on Campbell's body language in the 2nd half. In the 1st half he was doing a lot of his "statue staring off into space" pose that was the posture for the WPG game. I wonder if he was even aware of the radio snafu Reilly was experiencing? He sure didn't let the officials know about it.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:40 pm
I watched the game the next day on the pvr and didn't concentrate on Campbell's body language in the 2nd half. In the 1st half he was doing a lot of his "statue staring off into space" pose that was the posture for the WPG game. I wonder if he was even aware of the radio snafu Reilly was experiencing? He sure didn't let the officials know about it.

I was also critical of the Lions for not notifying the officials of the helmet radio communications problems but i now believe that it is only in the NFL that the response is to have both teams operate without radios. In the CFL it is full on bush league ineptitude that allows one team to have problems and the other team to carry on as normal but with an unfair advantage.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There has been considerable confusion about electronic communication between the coach and quarterback. When this began in 2010 in the CFL, coaches on the sideline and in the team’s spotter’s booth could communicate via the system for a limited amount of time between plays. The microphone was turned off when there were 10 seconds remaining on the play clock. A league employee in the stadium controlled the radios and the signal was monitored and recorded in the Command Centre to ensure fair operation. If anything went wrong, both teams would have to scrap use of the technology.

In 2016 the league dropped the time restrictions and allowed pre-snap and even in-play communication between the coach and QB. Teams became responsible for managing their own communications and equipment, and the league no longer monitors it.

Here's a backgrounder written in 2018 for cfl.ca by Marshall Ferguson, who happened to be the TSN play-by-play announcer on Friday.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/09/19/ferguson- ... -qb-coach/
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm
David wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:49 am

At the time, I wasn't worried about the time count (only 5 yards back), but I was unaware that it meant a loss of down.... Apparently, I was not the only one....
Inside the three minute warning, the penalty is a loss of down instead of five yards. Otherwise a team could just run out the clock (or rather not run) by taking repeated time count penalties.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Thanks B.C.Fan for clarifying the radio communication "rules" and the link to the article.

Just fantasizing here, but as a person who works around IT and radios, I wonder how secure the Lions system is? Hackers are always looking for ways to break systems. Maybe the system was secure in 2019, but is now "powned."

Could the static be a result of a hacker? And with no obligation for the other team to turn off their radio system, it would be an effective way to hurt the opponent. Again, just fantasizing.