Lions at Bombers Oct. 23, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 pm
I have been trying to brainstorm who would Doman go to if he wanted advice on what to do with the football operations?

Wally? He has been out of the loop for a while and thought Hervey was the answer 3 years ago. No Bob Ackles to turn to sadly.
Chris Jones wasn’t a bad GM
Hazmat
Rookie

these guys suck. thats it
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:58 pm
This is where Rob Murphy would be sucker punching Jefferson for that garbage. But this team is gutless with no leadership
Takes a coward to sucker punch someone.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

This Lions team has the ignominious distinction of being the first Lions club in 51 years to get shutout (thanks Comacho. :roll: Ever since JJ Adams did a feature on him 3 weeks ago in The Province, he has sucked). Campbell, who looks utterly clueless on the sidelines (the only difference to 2019 is that he doesn't wear his hat sideways), could have broken the goose egg but gambled on 3rd and impossible.

There are about 46 reasons why the Lions lost tonight so I shouldn't be harping on officiating but after Peters' iffy PI call, that was an absolutely horrendous "roughing the passer" call. One of the worst I've seen. The replay official who upheld the call (and who seems to have it in for the Lions) should be embarrassed. This seemed to break the Lions' spirit as they went quickly and quietly into the night after those two calls.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:39 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
I have been trying to brainstorm who would Doman go to if he wanted advice on what to do with the football operations?

Wally? He has been out of the loop for a while and thought Hervey was the answer 3 years ago. No Bob Ackles to turn to sadly.
Dear God No.

Chris Jones only looks out for Chris Jones. I wouldn't want his stamp on the club.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:47 pm
First shutout loss since 1970. I blame TheLionKing for bringing up the name of Paul Brothers earlier in this thread. :wink:
Would Rick Cassata, Carrol Williams be more to your liking ? How about Rickey Foggie ? :wink:
BC 1988
Legend

Hopefully Rourke wasn't badly injured. In keeping with the Theatre of the Absurd that was the entire game, he got hurt from carrying Jeffcoat on his back for an extra 5 yards on his last play.
Fan7
Rookie

Sad state of affairs, much like Ottawa’s 2019 season. Most over paid and over rated player in the league. A head coach that wins 42% of his games and yet we’re surprised at the results. The Lions are killing the CFL in BC. It will be interesting to see the attendance at the remaining games this season.

Awful football, no media coverage, the CFL is dying. It would appears that Ambrosie’s plan to promote the CFL globally might not be working. Did his Global P/K draft improve the leagues talent base and credibility? Is his plan to do nothing to promote the CFL in Canada working? We need a commissioner that looks at how we might revive this league, what changes have to happen to be sustainable. Competing globally with the NFL would be similar to the AHL endeavouring to compete with the NHL globally. Know your market and restructure according.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The defense is game.

The offense is horrible. This is what I call a trebuchet offense…roll out to limit decision making to half the field, send a guy with speed deep to force the halfbacks to play deep and either count on the deep guy to win that one on one or count on a coverage mistake to find a guy underneath.

This requires a couple of things.

A line with good pass protection ability.
Receivers who can actually take the top off a defense.

At the moment, we have neither. A competent OC would be capable of adjusting; ours is not.

So this defense, which is pretty good, gets worn down and here we are.

Try to keep some perspective. This was the worst team in the league in 2019. Rome wasn’t rebuilt in a day. The Lions won’t be either.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

:surrender: I long for the old days of Chap Ball. :puke:
MacNews
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 am
I feel like since the Grey Cup victory in 2011 it's been all downhill.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott's postgame thoughts are always interesting. He discusses where the Lions should go from here.

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/24/lion ... n-51-year/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:39 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

He might be able to talk to Barker from the TSN panel. He has been there. And there is maybe a chance he could talk to Hufnagel as well. In fact, wouldn't that play well. Could we perchance hire Hufnagel away? Trying to think who else. I suppose you could give Geroy a try at GM. He might be a bit green but he has been around long enough. Or maybe, Dickensen as GM????? Hmmm.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:10 am
DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 am
I feel like since the Grey Cup victory in 2011 it's been all downhill.
In reality is has been downhill since about 2007-08. 2011 started really awful and it was only a miracle that made that season come out right. Take that away and you would have a lot more years of uninterrupted futility.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm all for firing the coaching staff, except are there any unemployed viable HC replacements available who can also hire a competent staff?

At the very least Maksymic needs to be replaced as a play caller. And Reilly needs to agree to a significant pay cut or face release. Same goes for some other overpaid/under producing players, no matter how well they performed in the past.

The players and coaches need to know it is time to step up or pack your bags but I am not sure who delivers that message.