Stamps at Lions Oct. 16, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reg18
Starter

I've been trying to edit the typos out of my latest lost and the site won't let me. So excuse the typos
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The O-line was not the problem this game. The Stamps didn’t get a sack the end of the third quarter. Reilly took two more in the fourth quarter when he also threw his two interceptions on long outs before finally being pulled. He took way too long to pull the trigger, then didn’t have the arm to deliver the ball on target. Rourke wasn’t sacked.

Reilly didn’t see open receivers and seemed far too focused on Durant, who had 11 targets in his first game back as starter and caught only four of them.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 am
The O-line was not the problem this game. The Stamps didn’t get a sack the end of the third quarter. Reilly took two more in the fourth quarter when he also threw his two interceptions on long outs before finally being pulled. He took way too long to pull the trigger, then didn’t have the arm to deliver the ball on target. Rourke wasn’t sacked.

Reilly didn’t see open receivers and seemed far too focused on Durant, who had 11 targets in his first game back as starter and caught only four of them.
That seems to be the biggest issue in these last 3 losses. There is something wrong with Reilly's arm strength. I suspect that the "pitch count" strategy since training camp to save the injured elbow has run it's course, and the pre-game freezing is not as effective as it was.

I think that's why Rourke kept coming in for one play (in non short yardage situations). It's time to face up to it--he needs to admit it's time to consider shutting him down.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 am

I agree that the offensive line wasn't the biggest problem in this game. But it was also far from being a strength. Butler had only 29 yards on 6 carries which isn't enough. Add in 3 sacks, multiple hurries and at least a couple of times where Reilly took hits after throwing, and overall it wasn't a great performance. But some of this comes down to offensive scheme and performance too as you point out.

My earlier point is that the team has invested heavily in the offensive line and gone through multiple coaches but the same old problems remain.
David
Team Captain

After the game, I stopped an ex-Lion (alum) before leaving the stadium. I asked what's wrong with the O-line. While he didn't give a ringing endorsement for the talent across the line, he did specifically mention that Bates knows what he's doing but he believes Macsymic is out of depth as OC.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 am
After the game, I stopped an ex-Lion (alum) before leaving the stadium. I asked what's wrong with the O-line. While he didn't give a ringing endorsement for the talent across the line, he did specifically mention that Bates knows what he's doing but he believes Macsymic is out of depth as OC.

I concur. Calgary was the third team to shut down the Lions’ predictable offence, after Edmonton and Winnipeg. Take away Reilly’s first read and the Lions are toast.
BC 1988
Legend

Great dissection by J.C. Abbott of last night
https://3downnation.com/2021/10/17/welc ... home-loss/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The problem I see with Butler is his reluctance to hit the hole at full speed. He tends to juke and jive before hitting the hole.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:54 am
The problem I see with Butler is his reluctance to hit the hole at full speed. He tends to juke and jive before hitting the hole.
True, he could use a little more explosiveness.

Still, I would like us to use Phillip Norman at centre in place of Peter Godber who tends to hang on for dear life. Godber's young and can use a little more development. Norman has been solid when he's played centre for us.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:22 am
Great dissection by J.C. Abbott of last night
https://3downnation.com/2021/10/17/welc ... home-loss/
Very good article by Abbott. He tackles the issue that seems to be the "elephant in the room" within the BC Lions.... namely Reilly's current play and what can be done to maximize his current (not historic) abilities and arm strength. I've been very reluctant to dump on Reilly, but I will admit that I walked away from the game last night wondering how many years were left on his contract. Not a pleasant thought process.

In the past I've dumped on the OC and been glad to see them leave. While the Argos are on top in the east, it appears to me that it is Dinwiddie that makes most of the game day calls. I had hoped that a new OC would leverage off a pre-existing relationship with Reilly to shift him towards doing what he now is able to do best.

The difference between Reilly's arm strength and Rourke's is startling. In fact, Rourke needs to learn from Reilly how to take some of the zip off the ball when he guns it on a straight line. Our OC needs to ensure that passes beyond 20 years are out (unless Rourke is playing) and we need to maximize the 10-20 yard crossing plays from Reilly which do not take "forever" to develop and keep the defence off balance. Throw in some pocket movement and deception to take the sting out of the rush.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The offensive structure is foundationally poor. Lions predictability with older, slower QB won't win much from here on. Lucky Whitehead coming back won't fix these issues.

Fans calling in post game were right. Reid (?) from West Kelowna with 9 buddies listening in his basement and Lloyd from West Van were refuted by the Moj and Guilio for trashing Reilly but this Lions team needs to move on from Michael Reilly. Those dudes were right.

The QB runs the offense and he doesn't believe in the run nor any sense of using the run to set up anything else. When this guy runs it's like the Lions of other recent seasons - like they want it to fail of the ghost of Wally prevails and you know how hard Wally says it is to teach the run game.

I wondered a bit with Buck Pierce in WPG as OC how'd he call plays for Zach Collaros. We know their offense is structurally sound and they not only have Andrew Harris the replacements look pretty good as well.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Moj and Guilio is always defending the Lions. At times it's pathetic listening to both of them trying to defend the indefensible.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:27 pm
Moj and Guilio is always defending the Lions. At times it's pathetic listening to both of them trying to defend the indefensible.
They are technically Lions employees now as the club put the radio package together then came up with the agreement with CORUS. Hardly anything new but it is painfully obvious. It took a neutral media member (Farhan) to come on last night before the poor performance was really called out.
maxlion
Legend

Reilly had a bad game but he has not had a bad year despite his elbow injury. He has a tendency to hold on to the ball for a long time and to go for big plays which can lead to hits and sacks. He has 128 rushing yards which is pretty good for a QB and more than Collaros and Mitchell combined. Personally, after the first game or two or the year, I thought his arm strength has been fine.

I would also disagree with the proposition that he doesn't believe in the run. In 2019, John White had over 1000 yards. The year before Gable in Edmonton had over 1000 yards. The problem is that our running back and offensive line aren't getting the job done. Also, we aren't very good on second down so we don't get a lot of chances to run the ball.

Rourke has shown some good signs for a rookie, but he needs some seasoning before he is ready to be a starter. It is better to bring young QBs along slowly and let then push to be starters.

The QB is always under a lot of scrutiny when the team loses, especially when they are the highest paid player in the league. That's fair enough but, in this case, I think we have much bigger problems than Reilly.
ziggy
Legend

I wonder if the Coaches are simply afraid to tell Riley anything? Seems like he can exercise a veto on their plan if he chooses to. A couple of times he should have been pulled for his own good but apparently wanted to continue and they let him. Maybe Riley needs to concentrate of playing and the coaches need to start coaching. I could be wrong but I think Riley’s well earned reputation as a star has impacted his coaches.