Priorities for the bye week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I don't think an airlift is realistic (Covid protocols and NFL practice roster sizes make it tough) and frankly, probably not needed. But I do think we have to upgrade a few areas just to make the playoffs. Calgary is going to be hard to keep down in the standings and Edmonton is a much better team when Trevor Harris is in the lineup.

Priority One- Improve the run game. I don't think our running back talent is ideal. Butler is a good blocker and has good hands but lacks the quick burst from what I can see. Cooper has been a disappointment from what I recall from his Edmonton days. But it starts with the Oline. Perhaps it's our zone blocking scheme but we're just not moving bodies to create the holes. A big, punishing back would be welcome, but even Derrick Henry would struggle for yards the way things are right now. We're last in the league in rushing and haven't cracked the 100-yard mark this season. Until we get this sorted out, we're a one-dimensional team. Take away Lucky and we're going to be even easier to defend.

Priority Two - If not O-line scheme then talent. We need to really assess where the breakdowns are coming from. Godber and Chungh look to be struggling with their assignments from what I can see but on Friday against the Bombers, the leaks seemed to be coming from everywhere. Maybe with Lucky out and Durant in, we can move to 3 Americans on the O-line. If Godber needs more seasoning at centre, then we can place Phillip Norman in that spot. OR when Ryker comes back at RT, move Perkins in Chungh's RG position (where Perkins played in college). A couple of options here. Chungh has been a huge disappointment from his Bomber days.

Priority Three - We're not getting a good enough or consistent enough push from our defensive line. Sure, there have been flashes but our D-line is not big or physical enough IMO. All season we have given the opposing QBs too much time to set up and find receivers. Fine when we have a healthy defensive backfield to break up passes, but when we have one or two replacements back there, yikes. It's ugly, as we saw on Friday night. Second and long has been too easy for opponents this year. All it takes is one disruptive defensive tackle or end that needs to be double-teamed. IIRC, Khalif Mitchell was that (midseason) find for us a bunch of years ago.

Priority Four - We don't have much of a return game, especially with Lucky and Rainey out. Not sure how much longer either will be on the shelf but when opponents can kick off down to the 5-yard line, we're going to be scrimmaging with an awfully long field. Punt returns have been a big issue all year too. Yanowsky really needs to step up here and get this fixed during the bye week.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Reg18
Starter

One thought coiach might comsider hiring a DC to free him up to work on the Offense. Or hire an offensive consultant..from my view thevteam hasnt been ready to play the last couple games and that on the HC
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first priority is to get healthy. If Ryker Mathews and Joel Figueroa are in the lineup and fully healthy for the first time all year, the O-line will be much better, although I thought Kent Perkins has played well for Mathews. Substituting Phil Norman for Peter Godber is a more radical move that could be accommodated by a ratio switch at receiver. Norman was effective at centre in 2019.

Lemar Durant dressed for the past two games but got few reps at receiver. Having a healthy Durant with Jevon Cottoy and Shaq Johnson in the receiving corps makes the Lions more dangerous, and gives them the ratio flexibility to bolster the O-line. I haven't heard an update on Dominique Rhymes. If he is ready to come off the 6-game injured list early, he would be the first option to replace Lucky Whitehead at boundary WR. He was most effective at that position in Ottawa. If not, Alex Wesley is a 4.4 -second speedster with NFL experience who has been on the practice roster since training camp, where he showed himself to be a deep threat with a knack for catching touchdown passes. That would leave Keon Hatcher, Rhymes' initial replacement in the starting lineup, as the odd man out.

The defensive secondary was an embarrassment against Winnipeg with field-side starters Marcus Sayles, KiAnte Hardin and Jalon Edwards-Cooper out of the lineup. That was the first game that the Lions didn't intercept a pass. At least three or four jump balls that should have been intercepted went for long gains or pass interference penalties due to poor technique and passive play by the three replacement DBs. The B.C. defence has been one of the best in the league when it plays aggressively. It was too passive against Winnipeg, unwilling to blitz the QB or attack the ball in the air.

Chris Rainey wasn't having a great year before he was hurt but he is a better return threat than James Butler or Shaq Cooper or rookie Marcus Davis, who was inserted as punt returner in his first CFL game after Whitehead was injured.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree. At this point in the season about the only thing that you can hope for with a bye week is that the Lions who are nicked up will get healthy enough to play. We've already seen in another thread that there seems to be a considerable drop-off from some of the first team players to the backups. I'm not sure that is a situation that can be fixed midseason . On some parts of our team one seriously gets the impression that our top-tier players would only be backups on some of the better teams in the league. These might be in areas like the defensive line, the running game, or Oline. In short this is not a deep team and that is not something that one week off it's going to remedy. So our best hope is that we can get some of our top players healthy again and keep them that way for the balance of the season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1) As others have noted, the offensive line and the running game

2) Defensive line. We need a stud defensive tackle or two that can stuff the run.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When a team has as many rookie starters as the Lions, one can't expect a lot from the backups, although it depends who gets injured and what position they play.

I don't anticipate any significant improvement in the run game or run stop as a result of the bye week and as has already been stated, the best we can hope for is for guys to come off IR due to an extra week off.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:54 pm
Lemar Durant dressed for the past two games but got few reps at receiver. Having a healthy Durant with Jevon Cottoy and Shaq Johnson in the receiving corps makes the Lions more dangerous, and gives them the ratio flexibility to bolster the O-line. I haven't heard an update on Dominique Rhymes. If he is ready to come off the 6-game injured list early, he would be the first option to replace Lucky Whitehead at boundary WR. He was most effective at that position in Ottawa. If not, Alex Wesley is a 4.4 -second speedster with NFL experience who has been on the practice roster since training camp, where he showed himself to be a deep threat with a knack for catching touchdown passes.
Interesting to note Wesley was among a handful of players the Lions outright released today. Sure hope that means they are making room for some NFL cuts.
The BC Lions today released the following four players from the Practice Roster:

American WR Jake Bofshever
American WR Alex Wesley
American DB Nydair Rouse
National DL Alfred Green
David
Team Captain

NOTE - on Saturday, they also released Dyshawn Davis, the LB and special teamer who had only dressed for 2 games this season (likely due to the fact that we don't have a National kicker).

Davis Sanchez reporting today that the Leos have signed recent Ti-Cat cut WR DeVier Posey. Not flashy and getting up there in age (31), but a real pro's pro. Not sure how we're going to replace Lucky's speed and big play ability (this is not the answer) and also wondering what this means for Dominique Rhymes?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Posey is a solid veteran who played well in eight games as a Lion in 2018, including a 113-yard, 3-TD performance against Edmonton that clinched a playoff spot for the Lions. I though all of the players who were released showed potential but if the Lions want to bring in veterans to fill roster holes I'm all for it.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Whatever the case re Posey, if indeed he's coming to join the Lions, I'm pleased. He struck me as someone who was likely great in the room (more supportive and thoughtful than rah-rah), and I recall he was pretty steady and solid on the field. A team needs those types. That was my reading of him anyhow. But, yes, it is interesting that hot on the heels of losing Lucky we axe a couple young practice-roster WRs with potential. Not what I might have anticipated at such a juncture. But I'll be happy to see vets Burnham and Posey on the field together. Seems promising.
Reg18
Starter

We are playing 2 defensive tackles whose natural positions in college were cefensive ends somaybe time to find that punishing D tackles wer need.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Posey is a very good signing. Not only a vet but he is not new to the Lions and the Lions have a lot (too many?) rookies and new guys.

I was disappointed that the Lions didn't/couldn't sign Duke Williams but Posey is a better fit to fill Lucky's spot.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:22 am
Posey is a very good signing. Not only a vet but he is not new to the Lions and the Lions have a lot (too many?) rookies and new guys.

I was disappointed that the Lions didn't/couldn't sign Duke Williams but Posey is a better fit to fill Lucky's spot.
Probably "couldn't" sign him. He wouldn't have come cheap given he became Saskatchewan's 2nd highest paid receiver behind most likely Shaq Evans who signed for a reported $200K (for 18 game season) back in December.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:20 pm
DanoT wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:22 am

Probably "couldn't" sign him. He wouldn't have come cheap given he became Saskatchewan's 2nd highest paid receiver behind most likely Shaq Evans who signed for a reported $200K (for 18 game season) back in December.
I assume Duke tried out as a tight end in the NFL and Lions already have a tight end sized receiver in Cottoy. Hence my preference for Posey. I just wish Lions would line Cottoy up at TE or FB to help the O line with blocking, and be a relief valve dump pass receiver who with his big body can get YAC.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Has Posey actually signed with the Lions? There is no mention on the Lions website.