Priorities for the bye week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 am
Has Posey actually signed with the Lions? There is no mention on the Lions website.
So far it appears to only be a Davis Sanchez-sez report posted on 3DNation. I don't know if a Sanchez-sez carries the same weight as a Farhan-sez. Nothing reported elsewhere and no transactions in CFL.ca yet.

Perhaps it and a few more signings are just an announcement away? I suspect the other very recent releases were about cleaning PR spots to make room for some new additions.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sure hope the Posey signing goes through. Good to see the Lions "going for it" with the insert of a veteran receiver. Hopefully with the return of Matthews, Durant, Sayles and Hardin it will look much closer to the team that looked to be on the upswing a couple of weeks ago.

Huge game looming with the Stampeders with 6 to go. Can't drop all three during this homestand and they need get some breathing room from the 2 Alberta teams. 3-3 down the stretch should do it.
Crazy to think the Stamps still have 3 more games left with the Riders after beating them last week and conceivably control their own destiny for 2nd place if they win all 4 so lots still to figure out still in the West after Winnipeg.
David
Team Captain

Ir will be interesting to see what happens when the Leos return to practice. An O-line combo I wouldn't mind seeing is:

LT - Figueroa
LG - Steward
C - Norman
RT - Chungh
RG - Mathews (should be coming off the 6-game)

Receivers would be:

WR - Rhymes (If ready to come off the 6-game. Has 2 games left. If not, Hatcher or Posey...if he's been signed?)
SB - Burnham
SB - Durant
TE/SB - Cottoy
WR - Johnson

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have finally announced Posey’s signing, along with DE Alex Bazzie, FB Mario Villamizar and several other players. They’ve been added to the suspended list, presumably under COVID protocols.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/10/08/bazz ... ons-add-3/
David
Team Captain

LB Josh Woods looks like a diamond in the rough. Great numbers at PAC-12 program (UCLA)!

https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/ ... woods/9052

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Bazzie signing is a surprise, a welcome one I guess. I always thought he was a bit undersized but that just means he fits in with the rest of the D line.

Finally, the Posey signing is confirmed as I was getting a bit worried. Great to have additional vet presence and there are still a half dozen players including Burnham that were here when Posey was previously a Lion, so he has some familiarity right away.

New RB is another small guy, oh well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm very meh on Bazzie. I was not at all impressed with his last stint in BC. If I recall he recorded a sack early in his first game and became invisible after that. My belief is he's a one trick pony relying strictly on burst and speed to get around the tackle. If the tackle can engage him early it's all over.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 pm
I'm very meh on Bazzie. I was not at all impressed with his last stint in BC. If I recall he recorded a sack early in his first game and became invisible after that. My belief is he's a one trick pony relying strictly on burst and speed to get around the tackle. If the tackle can engage him early it's all over.
Agreed. Bazzie was just a rotational DE in his last stint with the Lions and probably is no better than the rookies in the current rotation.
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 pm
1) As others have noted, the offensive line and the running game

2) Defensive line. We need a stud defensive tackle or two that can stuff the run.
I agree, without improving the O-line and D-line, everything else is a moot point.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:26 am
Ir will be interesting to see what happens when the Leos return to practice. An O-line combo I wouldn't mind seeing is:

LT - Figueroa
LG - Steward
C - Norman
RT - Chungh
RG - Mathews (should be coming off the 6-game)

Receivers would be:

WR - Rhymes (If ready to come off the 6-game. Has 2 games left. If not, Hatcher or Posey...if he's been signed?)
SB - Burnham
SB - Durant
TE/SB - Cottoy
WR - Johnson

We don’t need alter the ratio. We’re playing with 8, when Thomson moved to safety and moved sayles to Sam. 3 on d and 5 on o.
maxlion
Legend

I liked Posey when he was here before, but he hasn't played in a while. Still, he adds a deep threat to an already strong receiving core. Posey is smart, fast and can make big plays when healthy. Hatcher and Cottoy have been fine. I think Cottoy has earned a place in the lineup.

I agree with others on Bazzie, but he might add a spark and some savvy to the team. I don't expect much, but the D line is very inexperienced. I haven't seen much from Tavai either.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The way the Stamps RB Carey ripped thru Riders D has me concerned that he could do even more damage to a less than stellar Lions D line. I don't know if Bazzie will be an upgrade but he won't make the D line any worse than they already are.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just looking at Quadree Henderson's college stats with both Rainey and Whitehead on the shelf he could provide immediate relief as a returner. With Pitt in 2016 he was a Consensus All-American returner finishing 3rd in the FBS in punt returns and 5th in KO returns.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... son-1.html

He also was used exclusively as a returner with the New York Giants in the 5 games he suited up in 2018.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ndQu00.htm
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Speaking of QB's pivotal importance to a team, with the release of Lions' practice roster QB Danny Etling, we are now the lone team in the league with just 2 QBs. Every other team has at least 3 and some have 4 on their rosters. That would seem the prudent way to have it. So I expect, or surely hope, they have a candidate waiting in the wings to join the practice roster sooner than later. Our two guys are rugged solid types, but stuff happens.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Speaking of QB's pivotal importance to a team, with the release of Lions' practice roster QB Danny Etling, we are now the lone team in the league with just 2 QBs. Every other team has at least 3 and some have 4 on their rosters. That would seem the prudent way to have it. So I expect, or surely hope, they have a candidate waiting in the wings to join the practice roster sooner than later. Our two guys are rugged solid types, but stuff happens.
I think you can make a very safe wager that the release of Etling is a precursor to another QB being added in the next 24-48 hours be it someone totally new to the CFL or some veteran to be added as insurance.