Roughriders at Lions, September 24, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Good Lord. Biggest game of the year for a market that the league is desperately trying to recapture and the most eyeballs on the club all year. Finally capturing some imaginations with a 4-2 record and an exciting brand of football. But sure, let's suspend one of their key players for this match-up. :roll:

Not to let Peters off the hook. No excuse to treat testers disrespectfully (if indeed that happened. Hopefully there is a process whereby he can tell his side). But surely a fine or something would suffice.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have added WR Lemar Durant, RB/RET Shaq Cooper and LB/ST Dyshawn Davis to the roster for Friday's game. CB Garry Peters remans on the 45-man roster. No other DBs have been added but DB Anthony Cioffi. who has been a healthy scratch in recent weeks, remains on the roster.
September 23, 2021

Add to roster:

WR Lemar Durant (N)
RB Shaq Cooper (A)
LB Dyshawn Davis (A)

Add to 1-Game Inured List

DB Isaiah Guzylak-Messam (N)
RB Chris Rainey (A)
DE JR Tavai (A)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm
J.J. Adams of The Province says Peters is expected to appeal his suspension and play on Friday.
That is good news but it would be nice to get a bit more info on what happened. I assume Peters passed the random drug test but I wonder what happened with the interaction with the drug test administrator and was it the same person that AC Lenard had some sort of confrontation with?
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm
J.J. Adams of The Province says Peters is expected to appeal his suspension and play on Friday.
That is good news but it would be nice to get a bit more info on what happened. I assume Peters passed the random drug test but I wonder what happened with the interaction with the drug test administrator and was it the same person that AC Lenard had some sort of confrontation with?
Yes, the way suspensions can be meted out sounds murky. (There can't be Andre Proulx standing there with the drug test administrator ready to throw his flag?) There must be something in the CBA that covers it since it sure has a potential impact on players. How do you measure disrespecting a drug test administrator, and are the penalties arbitrary?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:10 pm
David wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 am
Nothing wrong with our current logo. Let's keep it as is. While a recent 3 Down Nation poll of CFL logos placed us 5th overall among the 9 teams (there's no accounting for taste), it was the least polarizing among respondents with 1-point and 5-point scores accounting for just 10.1 percent of overall votes. 46.2 percent of CFL fans gave it a 3, which was the highest % any logo received at any point level.

https://3downnation.com/2021/06/20/the- ... r-readers/

That mid-range 3 score is what bothers me--it's inoffensive. I always remember this excellent 2011 thread--I read it before I joined this site in 2013.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19749&hilit=2012+uniforms
Cromartie's post at the bottom of page 1 and his term "stoned lion" stuck with me--it looks like the lion has been tranquilized. He used it to describe both versions, including the 1978 color scheme. To me the 1978 is less slack-jawed looking. I agree with what he said back then--the original Lion over the football is the best, but too big to put on a helmet. For that the Paw was good, but again doesn't convey fierceness.

The indigenous version succeeds in getting the fierceness back.
It's so nice to be remembered.

Here's where I am now, as literally the only person on earth that liked the Michigan Panter-ized version of the logo that we wore in 2018.

Leave the logo alone. You have 40+ years of brand equity in the stoned Lion, it's inoffensive and more or less institutionalized. It isn't cartoony, like the old Alouette, it isn't phony retro like the Argos boat, it isn't 90s era out of style like Hamilton, it isn't the two dimensional flat disaster that is the Elk, it isn't as boring as Winnipeg and I think it's well suited to sit with Calgyra and the Riders as perfectly acceptable icons (I'd also add the Redblacks R but I still think that name is trash) for the team at this point.

We've had so many logo permeations over the last ten years that having a consistent uniform set for a few years would do the franchise some good. Be sure to keep 'British Columbia' spelled out on the front of the uniform as it is now. You have the right balance of old and new. About all I'd do is gather up every pair of orange uniform pants I could, build a gigantic fire and toss them in, and everything would be fine.

If you want to use what you're putting on the shirts as a special occasion/annual logo, I think that's fine; it doesn't do much for me, but then again I'm non-First Nations and also an American living in Ohio so my opinion doesn't carry a heck of a lot of weight in the matter.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 am
How do you measure disrespecting a drug test administrator, and are the penalties arbitrary?
"Can I urinate into this cup in peace, please?"

"Objectionable contact. Stall #2. 50ml penalty and a one game suspension."
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 am
About all I'd do is gather up every pair of orange uniform pants I could, build a gigantic fire and toss them in, and everything would be fine.
:whs:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released a depth chart listing Peters as his usual starting spot at boundary CB. Dana Levine Jr. starts at DE in place of the injured J.R. Tavai. LB Dyshawn Davis takes Tavai’s spot on the 45-man roster. Shaq Cooper takes Chris Rainey’s spot as kick and punt returner.SB Lemar Durant is back from injury but listed as a backup to Keon Hatcher as fifth receiver. Jevon Cottoy remains in Durant’s former starting SB position.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... -7-SSK.pdf
BC 1988
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:10 pm
David wrote:
Nothing wrong with our current logo. Let's keep it as is. While a recent 3 Down Nation poll of CFL logos placed us 5th overall among the 9 teams (there's no accounting for taste), it was the least polarizing among respondents with 1-point and 5-point scores accounting for just 10.1 percent of overall votes. 46.2 percent of CFL fans gave it a 3, which was the highest % any logo received at any point level.

https://3downnation.com/2021/06/20/the- ... r-readers/

That mid-range 3 score is what bothers me--it's inoffensive. I always remember this excellent 2011 thread--I read it before I joined this site in 2013.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19749&hilit=2012+uniforms
Cromartie's post at the bottom of page 1 and his term "stoned lion" stuck with me--it looks like the lion has been tranquilized. He used it to describe both versions, including the 1978 color scheme. To me the 1978 is less slack-jawed looking. I agree with what he said back then--the original Lion over the football is the best, but too big to put on a helmet. For that the Paw was good, but again doesn't convey fierceness.

The indigenous version succeeds in getting the fierceness back.
It's so nice to be remembered.

Here's where I am now, as literally the only person on earth that liked the Michigan Panter-ized version of the logo that we wore in 2018.

Leave the logo alone. You have 40+ years of brand equity in the stoned Lion, it's inoffensive and more or less institutionalized. It isn't cartoony, like the old Alouette, it isn't phony retro like the Argos boat, it isn't 90s era out of style like Hamilton, it isn't the two dimensional flat disaster that is the Elk, it isn't as boring as Winnipeg and I think it's well suited to sit with Calgyra and the Riders as perfectly acceptable icons (I'd also add the Redblacks R but I still think that name is trash) for the team at this point.

We've had so many logo permeations over the last ten years that having a consistent uniform set for a few years would do the franchise some good. Be sure to keep 'British Columbia' spelled out on the front of the uniform as it is now. You have the right balance of old and new. About all I'd do is gather up every pair of orange uniform pants I could, build a gigantic fire and toss them in, and everything would be fine.

If you want to use what you're putting on the shirts as a special occasion/annual logo, I think that's fine; it doesn't do much for me, but then again I'm non-First Nations and also an American living in Ohio so my opinion doesn't carry a heck of a lot of weight in the matter.
Thanks for the updated picture in 2021. I liked the "home" version of the 2018 helmet, but hated the "road" version.

Another poster in that thread, tigerrr22 mentioned how as a child he was so let down when the 1978 Lion replaced the 1968 one. (Because the fierceness was gone.) Therein lies the problem--the Lions had an extremely cartoonish bared teeth Lion that was aimed at kids, then in 1978 they tried to make it more appealing to everyone with a sedate(d) look. Why couldn't they have done a head version of the the 1954-67 Lion? That is realistic, fierce and timeless.

I agree about the Elks (almost everyone else seems to like it.) In particular the Elk horn tines on the helmet are pathetic--the game vs CGY where they had the huge EE on the jersey front (which I never really liked) was a stark contrast to how boring and non-descript the helmet is now. It's way too small.

CGY's version of the Ford Mustang logo stands tall as the best in the league. They were smart not to trot out some ridiculous fire breathing abomination like the Flames horse uni.

I think several of us here agree the Lions should have an Orange Shirt Game one week, then they could have a Orange Pants bonfire the following week. :rotf:

I looked up the artist bio for the Orange Shirt logo--they really went first class. She is a very commercially successful and respected designer of high end pieces. From the research I did about the mountain lion's place in indigenous culture, it must have been a challenge since they aren't held in as high regard as other creatures. There are many different depictions of the animal throughout both North and South American tribes, but most regard the lion/puma as stealthy/solitary/not trustworthy.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 pm
The Lions have hit it out of the park with this. A shame there can’t be more than 12,500 in the stands but I get it even with the vaccine passport.
I guess this is where we differ. I don't get it. With a vaccine passport required before entry and masks required, what is the difference between 12,500 and 20,000 fans on hand?
Have to agree with you David. A “sellout” is good but does 12,500 really help a gate driven league?. I guess I left my ticket purchase too late. Eventually I’ll make it back lol
I have my head up my butt - 120db
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:33 pm
David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 pm
The Lions have hit it out of the park with this. A shame there can’t be more than 12,500 in the stands but I get it even with the vaccine passport.
I guess this is where we differ. I don't get it. With a vaccine passport required before entry and masks required, what is the difference between 12,500 and 20,000 fans on hand?
Have to agree with you David. A “sellout” is good but does 12,500 really help a gate driven league?. I guess I left my ticket purchase too late. Eventually I’ll make it back lol
Great to hear from a one of the original regular posters! I actually agree with both of you guys. Why the hell the vaccine passport when they were allowing the same attendance for the two games prior to it being implemented? There are more hurdles to go places now than six months yet nearly 90 percent of the province has received at least one shot.
I guess my concern is the alternative being pulling the plug on allowing any fans and suddenly the season could be in jeopardy.
Two 4-2 teams, the Lions best visiting team draw and a wonderful promotion. A shame there won't be at least 20,000 in the stadium tonight.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A lot of it has to do I think with the nature of the current wave and what happened with our neighbours to the East. I think that most are probably loathe to be the next administration to be seen as loosing up restrictions and looking like it has been mishandled.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Durant, Burnham, Peters and Cioffi all took the pregame warmup. I’m not sure who is scratched.
Rammer
Team Captain

Nice to see an energized Lions team with focus. Can't say I recall a Lions team starting off a game with this kind of passion for a long time.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

One big play for the major but the offence needs to stay on the field. Far too many 2 and outs. They are getting killed on the time of possession and can't string together a number of 1st downs. Would help having some kind of running game of course