Elks vs. Lions Aug. 19, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

tedbear
Starter

Speaking of Bonnie Henry I was perplexed when I watched the game and it looked like the fans were all bunched together and not distanced in any manner.

I am puzzled why there is a limit of 12,500 people allowed in the stadium when they are all sitting in close proximity?

Doesn't make any sense with no social distancing seating protocols in place there is no sense in having a cap on the amount of people.

Glad I didn't go to the game, I will continue waiting until B.C. Place, the government, and the B.C. Lions make changes to go with an only vaccinated crowd or block off seats so the fans are a bit distanced.

Just my 2 cents
dodger
Rookie

Some thoughts

Lions offense is very sputtery, Reilly was not accurate on his deep throws several times the receiver had to come back the to the ball as it was thrown short.

Defense did not look as good as last week. Not enough pressure on Harris especially when you do a three man rush. Any decent CFL quarterback will find a receiver if given all day to throw.

Regarding some comments regarding the stadium and Covid. A email I received from the Lions stated masks only recommended and I would say 95% were not wearing masks last night, also there was no social distancing requirement. I believe under the current Covid rules social distancing is no longer required anywhere.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Interesting to see Bonnie Henry making a public spectacle of herself not wearing a mask at the game. Lions should be embarrassed. The game was forgettable but this isn't.
With the current regs that we are under, wearing a mask is not required indoors if you are fully vaccinated and maintain 2 m distance. So where is the public spectacle that you are referring to?
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:52 pm
maxlion wrote:
Interesting to see Bonnie Henry making a public spectacle of herself not wearing a mask at the game. Lions should be embarrassed. The game was forgettable but this isn't.
With the current regs that we are under, wearing a mask is not required indoors if you are fully vaccinated and maintain 2 m distance. So where is the public spectacle that you are referring to?
Those are not actual regulations. My view is that we should not rely solely on vaccines when it is becoming clearer that vaccines one their own are not sufficient in the face of new variants. The provincial leadership should demonstrate behaviour that would promote greater care for the vulnerable among us. As for the public spectacle, go on twitter and you will see what I am talking about.

Anyways, this is all off topic. All I wanted to say was that, if I were the new owner of the Lions, I would have been embarrassed about this behaviour and the public image it presents.
BC 1988
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:16 pm
DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:52 pm
maxlion wrote:
Those are not actual regulations. My view is that we should not rely solely on vaccines when it is becoming clearer that vaccines one their own are not sufficient in the face of new variants. The provincial leadership should demonstrate behaviour that would promote greater care for the vulnerable among us. As for the public spectacle, go on twitter and you will see what I am talking about.

Anyways, this is all off topic. All I wanted to say was that, if I were the new owner of the Lions, I would have been embarrassed about this behaviour and the public image it presents.
I think this encapsulates the uproar:
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coro ... os-4240674
Dr Henry has always had a philosophy that masks are of very secondary value, even after there is much more proof of aerosol spread, rather than droplets. She only brought in mandatory masks last fall when it was no longer possible to maintain that the "masks recommended" policy was working. BCTF has long been at war with her over masks in schools.

Sekeres (who went to the game last night) is ranting right now about her performance at the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My niece and I wore our masks during the game. No big deal. Might have been different if it was warmer.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

So if it was wrong for Dr. Henry to go maskless, where does that leave the full house CFL crowds that went to games in Regina and Winnipeg?
BC 1988
Legend

WPG is requiring all guests to be double vaccinated for entry.

SSK had minor reports of transmission at the home opener vs BC, both in the Pil Country area and on a shuttle bus. They have a get vaccinated + masks recommended policy like BC does, but as you can see on TV, no one is wearing them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatch ... -1.6140868

IMO, the only thing to worry about in Canada is if hospitalization rates creep up enough to cause provincial govts to impose shutdowns again. It's obvious that deaths are not going to ramp up here again (unlike in low vaccination parts of the US).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Scouts and coaches need to do a way better job of making sure they have oline backups that can still get the job done.

However, I am iffy as to if I have any confidence in the oline when all starters are healthy
Problem with that is with the small roster size they can realistically only dress 2 backups for 5 positions. Knevel seems to have the role of Swiss Army knife backing up both tackles and possibly both guards. I think he's already taken reps at LT, LG when Steward was hobbled vs Calgary and RT where he is listed on the depth chart. I'm not sure what value there is in dressing Peirson. His only purpose seems to be as Godber's backup. I do wonder if Mathews had been healthy would he have been shifted over to replace Figs with Knevel drawing into RT. My spy who deals with many CFL players says Mathews "head" injury is a concussion protocol thing and he expects to return next game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:25 pm
Speaking of Bonnie Henry I was perplexed when I watched the game and it looked like the fans were all bunched together and not distanced in any manner.

I am puzzled why there is a limit of 12,500 people allowed in the stadium when they are all sitting in close proximity?

Doesn't make any sense with no social distancing seating protocols in place there is no sense in having a cap on the amount of people.

Glad I didn't go to the game, I will continue waiting until B.C. Place, the government, and the B.C. Lions make changes to go with an only vaccinated crowd or block off seats so the fans are a bit distanced.

Just my 2 cents
I think there is a balancing act there. My buddy and I relocated from 242 to 213 due to the relocation of benches. We were in seats 103 and 104. A couple sat beside us in 101 and 102. I got the sense those were their ST seats from previous years. They opted to "distance" themselves from us and jump across the aisle where nobody was sitting.

We thought there might be more spacing. I think they're trying to balance the fact they hope last night was the only game they'd have to work with half capacity so let everybody sit im what will be their season seats for the whole season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:08 pm
WPG invoked that requirement for the season opener.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:11 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
I would like to see all CFL teams do this. Vaccines are more effective than masks and likely booster shots could be an annual thing.
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Hambone wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:
I would like to see all CFL teams do this. Vaccines are more effective than masks and likely booster shots could be an annual thing.
Agreed--vaccination is the only way to manage COVID, and boosters that can adapt to ongoing variants will likely be most important. Honestly, I get why Dr Henry is not gung-ho on masks. The politicization of them has made them a source of so much conflict and confrontation. She now has the distinction of being lambasted by both COVID deniers and believers.

I would suspect that EDM, CGY, and especially SSK would be very reluctant to require double vaccination for entry. There are some vociferous people over on RF who don't want to acknowledge this is an issue.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Heading into week 4 and Neil Rourke still leads this team in touchdown passes with 2. Not dumping on Reilly especially not having both starting tackles last night but still a concerning stat. Always have a soft spot for Canadian talent but perhaps not a tougher in-game injury to overcome than an American tackle being replaced by a back-up national.

Hopefully at least 1 of them is back next week and it's time this offence starts to lead this team. Much of their salary cap is spent on that side of the ball and that's where the majority of their experience is too.
1-2 in a 14-week schedule and a good chance the Lions lose ground to every Western team this weekend thanks to the Stamps upset win tonight. Crazy to say must-win territory for week 4 but it's feeling like it in this short season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:22 pm
DanoT wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Hambone wrote:

Agreed--vaccination is the only way to manage COVID, and boosters that can adapt to ongoing variants will likely be most important. Honestly, I get why Dr Henry is not gung-ho on masks. The politicization of them has made them a source of so much conflict and confrontation. She now has the distinction of being lambasted by both COVID deniers and believers.

I would suspect that EDM, CGY, and especially SSK would be very reluctant to require double vaccination for entry. There are some vociferous people over on RF who don't want to acknowledge this is an issue.
And the two worst provinces for vaccination rates are SK and AB. SK is 13th out of 13 in both partial vax and full vax. They are still trying to get up to 75% 1st doses. BC's full vax rate just moved ahead of SK's 1st dose rate.