Lions sold

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC 1988 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Bear in mind that there still are Hervey decisions on the roster. It will take another season or two to really start fresh. Hopefully we get the best possible full-time GM hire.
Lions have gone with 2 co-GMs in Campbell and McEvoy so what do you mean by full-time GM hire?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am
BC 1988 wrote:

Bear in mind that there still are Hervey decisions on the roster. It will take another season or two to really start fresh. Hopefully we get the best possible full-time GM hire.
Lions have gone with 2 co-GMs in Campbell and McEvoy so what do you mean by full-time GM hire?
Hamilton has been operating with co-GMs since parsing themselves of Tillman in January 2019. I have no problem with the current setup. Some might not like the idea of a HC wearing 2 hats or in Campbell's case 2-1/2 hats; Co-GM, HC and DC. I don't see that as an issue as the real heavy lifting for a GM comes in the offseason when coaching duties are greatly reduced. He seems to be surrounded with a good base of support (McEvoy, Rigmaiden, Simon, Ralph) that can more than adequately carry the burden of GM responsibilities once training camp and the season approach. I see him as being 3/4 GM, 1/4 HC in the offseason and 3/4 HC, 1/4 GM from May 1st until Grey Cup.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:01 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am
BC 1988 wrote:

Hamilton has been operating with co-GMs since parsing themselves of Tillman in January 2019. I have no problem with the current setup. Some might not like the idea of a HC wearing 2 hats or in Campbell's case 2-1/2 hats; Co-GM, HC and DC. I don't see that as an issue as the real heavy lifting for a GM comes in the offseason when coaching duties are greatly reduced. He seems to be surrounded with a good base of support (McEvoy, Rigmaiden, Simon, Ralph) that can more than adequately carry the burden of GM responsibilities once training camp and the season approach. I see him as being 3/4 GM, 1/4 HC in the offseason and 3/4 HC, 1/4 GM from May 1st until Grey Cup.
I don't consider the current GM situation with BC as anything other than a temporary one resulting from Hervey quitting, a COVID cancelled season in 2020, and the Braley passing. Now that the ownership situation has been settled, I expect there will be one GM, not 2 co-GMs.

Maybe you could consider McEvoy being an "audition" of sorts. Campbell is really there to assist him while he proves/decides if he can move into the role.
David
Team Captain

Sorry but I have to disagree. This co-GM scenario is not temporary.

I do see a new President forthcoming that will report to Mr. Doman. I believe Rich LeLacheur will step aside due to age and his wish for retirement with a replacement likely coming in the New Year.

My prediction, not based on fact.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

In that case, this co-GM situation would last as long as Campbell remains here/decides he can handle it/isn't fired.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

To quote Red Green: "If it works; Its not temporary".
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am
And it it doesn't work there's always the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:25 am
Sorry but I have to disagree. This co-GM scenario is not temporary.

I do see a new President forthcoming that will report to Mr. Doman. I believe Rich LeLacheur will step aside due to age and his wish for retirement with a replacement likely coming in the New Year.

My prediction, not based on fact.

Agreed. I don't expect Doman to make any of those sorts of football ops decisions any time soon. He has already stated his immediate focus will be on trying to fix the business and marketing side of the organization and leave the football side to the football people, and rightfully so. As long as he doesn't sense disfunction with the current hierarchy he will leave it as is and concentrate his efforts where they are needed the most.

As for LeLacheur I get the sense that he's not looking to continue on in his current capacity long term but I don't think will necessarily pull the pin early in 2022. He'll work hard on the transition of ownership then reassess sometime in the spring after discussing with Doman. I'd wager he'd step aside in spring 2022 at the earliest and spring of 2023 at the latest. I don't know if as a life long Albertan he and his wife have now permanently relocated to BC. They certainly wouldn't be the first Albertans to retire out here in God's country. :wink:
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:42 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am
And it it doesn't work there's always the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape. :wink:
Exactly--it's results that count. When you look back at Wally's dual HC/GM role for most of his career, there is no doubt he relied on assistants to do a lot of that. McEvoy was there the whole time and was probably as important as anyone in the smooth running of the GM position. That's why I think he could be the possible front runner.

If Campbell quits or is fired, it would be too much to expect the next HC to move into the same managerial structure. (Unless cost cutting measures league-wide result in the HAM model becoming the future standard).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:27 pm
Exactly--it's results that count. When you look back at Wally's dual HC/GM role for most of his career, there is no doubt he relied on assistants to do a lot of that. McEvoy was there the whole time and was probably as important as anyone in the smooth running of the GM position. That's why I think he could be the possible front runner.

If Campbell quits or is fired, it would be too much to expect the next HC to move into the same managerial structure. (Unless cost cutting measures league-wide result in the HAM model becoming the future standard).
Quite early in Wally's time in BC he turned over the majority of contract negotiations to McEvoy.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great interview today with Taylor & Dhaliwal.

A must 10 minute listen as a Lions fan https://youtu.be/vwDbWGEZAOo
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks Sammy. The man says, "My first job here is to listen, and to really learn, and to really run this opportunity well, and in a very classy way." Can't argue with any of that!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:19 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks Sammy. The man says, "My first job here is to listen, and to really learn, and to really run this opportunity well, and in a very classy way." Can't argue with any of that!
Definitely said a lot of interesting things and plenty of encouraging signs.

- Wants to open dialogue with PAVCO on current lease deal. Perhaps convincing them cheaper tickets and concession prices means thousands more in the stands spending money.

- I have heard this a couple of times now but just wants people in the building to see the product and atmosphere even if it means him paying for it to happen.

- Has heard from former season tickets holders that say they will be coming back. Says that’s great but the number one priority is targeting new and younger fans.

-Said several times it’s going to take time and his money. I’m eagerly awaiting to see which people he brings in to run the business side of the operation. Likely won’t see anything happen until after the season.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Cheaper tickets and concession prices are a nice idea but I'm not really sure that they are the crux of the problem.

If the notion is that those costs are really a deterrent for attendance, then it kind of makes you wonder why they play out of downtown Vancouver where the cost of parking and the logistics of parking can be huge. And if those costs are issues, then perhaps the costs for fuel and time getting to and from many folks are also a deterrent.

This is a familiar refrain from me unfortunately. I don't think the CFL is ever going to be "hip" or "sexy". Thus you are really looking at the family crowd and well heeled older folks such as myself. And for the most part I don't see either of those groups really loving the downtown hoops you have to jump through. Sure the kids might find it fun but challenges of collecting the family and heading off on a 5 hour evening including transit time is a bit much to expect most folks to want to do.

I agree that part of the issue has to be getting more young people playing the sport to build that love of the game but even in my high school days, many of the schools in my neck of the woods (Burnaby) never wanted anything to do with equipping and running a football team. Even a quick glance at BC Secondary School football teams speaks volumes By far and away, the bulk of teams are located either in the Fraser Valley or the Okanagan. Yes there are some teams in Vancouver and Burnaby regions 6, it appears to be, and 3 of those are private Catholic schools. Not exactly a broad brush sweep there and unless as a family you have an extra 8K to drop, that isn't exactly reaching a large group of young people.

So yeah, marketing is going to be a big challenge but my opinion is that they really have to rethink not only their target group but down the road may need to reconsider where they play because I don't think that where they are now is enough of a hook in and of itself to bring in the crowds. It is different when a big time concert performer appears. That maybe a once in a decade or even lifetime event. It is a far different challenge when you are talking about 10 home dates in a few months. People who are going to endure the negatives for that experience aren't going for the food or the excitement of downtown (questionable,) they are going to view the game. That means an interest and commitment to the game itself and for that you have to have an understanding of the game so that you can appreciate the nuances. That best happens by instilling a familiarity and enthusiasm at a young age. Not when they are in their late teens when the minds of most young adults are much more focused on things like attraction, life altering educational choices and so on. And even then, that is not a guarantee of attendance. TV, easy chairs, stocked fridges really do have their own appeal. Beside the often better view of the game, you get the informed commentary, more comfortable seating and far less effort and cost required for perhaps a marginally less authentic experience. And I would defy anyone who has attended a number of games to say that when the Lions are getting crushed, or the game is less than stellar, that sitting in the stands, in very rudimentary seats, that the "in person" experience doesn't lose some of that lustre.

Anyone been to a movie theatre lately? There is a reason that many of them have started to put in lazy boy recliners and in some cases now have food service. If spending 20 bucks for your ticket, driving 10-15 mins to your local theatre with free parking is too much for many to bother with, then how is braving a 60 minute commute, paid parking, much higher ticket costs going to appeal to many especially if your interest in the product itself isn't that high.

So yes, they have a lot work to do and it is going to be generational, not just 5 or 6 years, decades perhaps.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Interesting article (Dec. 11) on our new owner. Full of ideas and long-term commitment to getting this turned around.

One idea he has is to turn the parking lot at False Creek into a 3B tailgate zone. Burgers, beers, and bands.

In the past, LeLacheur echoed his belief that games need to be shortened and was willing to consider radical ideas to that end.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... leos-pride

Roar, You Lions, Roar