Chris Cuthbert leaves TSN for Sportsnet

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

The next big move affecting CFL broadcasting:

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press ... -from-tsn/
There is already much rejoicing over on RF (a respite from their gloom of a 2 game losing streak vs CGY).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Unlike Rider fans who thought Black was a bane of their existence I never had issues with him. Then again I usually take TV pxp and colour commentators more like an ambient background noise akin to crowd noise. I don't particularly pay much attention to what they happen to be saying but like the chatter sound better than having no sound at all. I swear the denizens of RF actually turn the volume up when Rod was doing the game then listen intently taking down notes so they can *beeotch* about it in their forum after the game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not a big fan of Rod Black but I am a fan of nicknames and he was all about that; sometimes a bit too corny though.

He made mistakes on the pxp which I am ok with, provided they are acknowledged/corrected. Not a lot of corrections it seems, unless it was from his broadcast partner.

It was time to go and let some new pxp guys take over.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Delighted to hear Rod Black is gone. Tired of his cliche.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm
Delighted to hear Rod Black is gone. Tired of his cliche.
Going to second this. He was dreadful and will not be missed by me, at least. Now I can actually stand to watch a game with Duane Forde doing color commentary.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The irony of the criticism of Rod Black as a broadcaster is that of the CFL players I know as trusted friends and colleagues not one has a bad word to say about Rod Black. They love his calls on their great plays.

This is Toronto Mike calling up Rod Black who I believe like others in sports, this guy is classy, talented and knows his sports.

None of his critics (fans) have heard his interviews on his son's Tyler sports career prior to college and being drafter by Milwaukee - something that all parents with sons/daughters aspiring for sports careers should listen to.

Clearly he's been a casualty of cost cutting.

I wonder who is that one fan who started the anti-Rod Black movement?
If it weren't an online world, we'd never have heard that.

https://www.torontomike.com/2021/10/the ... isode-931/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/17/form ... -cutbacks/
Explains that Rod Black was going to be let go by TSN.

One early "victim" of Bell cutbacks, who ended up coming back is Blake Price. He's been doing MLS on TSN WhiteCaps. I think he could end up doing more. No experience with CFL, but his work on World Junior Hockey has been consistent.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Put me in the camp of those saying they didn't have a problem with Rod Black. He may not have been the best announcer ever but he wasn't as horrible as some make him out either. He was competent. I hope the next gig goes well for him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.