Poll - Who do you think will be BC Lions Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who will be next Lions coach?

Devon Claybrookes
44%
Orlando Steinauer
22%
Jaime Elizondo
6%
Mark Washington
No votes
Noel Thorpe
28%
Other - comment with name
No votes

Total votes: 18
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I don't know how to set up a poll with percentages, so will just add the votes at the end of the week.
Mod Edit
I have created the poll for you, everyone please feel free to vote again.
Creating a poll is quite easy and the instructions are in the FAQ
app.php/help/faq#f2r3
My vote goes to Orlando Steinauer. Just have a gut feeling he will be our guy.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jwbavalon
Rookie

My vote is Devon Claybrookes
Dusty
Champion

My vote is Elizondo because of his offensive acumen, but I would not be surprised if Noel Thorpe arrived.
CardiacKid
Legend

I really like Elizondo and his ability to scheme to talent on hand but I think Steinhauer would be be more of a draw for the free agents out there to sign with the Lions. Plus Steinhauer seems to have really good relationships with players. Thorpe, who has a great resume, I am not sure how well he relates to players.

Ultimately I want a coach who isn’t also a coordinator, I want a straight-up HC with no other titles. And not a hothead who flames out.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think it will be Orlondo Steinauer but I would be more excited about Elizondo because he could overhaul the offence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another vote for Steinauer
The_Pauser
Legend

I expect it will be Steinauer, though I would probably prefer Elizondo or Claybrooks. Wouldn't be disappointed with Steinauer though.
Roar you Lions roar!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I certainly don't have a clue who will be our HC, but this Mike Beamish Vancouver Sun article from exactly four years ago to the day, reminds us of Orlondo Steinauer's and his wife's connections to the Pacific Northwest. I'd not be surprised if what didn't happen four years ago might happen now. I wonder if his grandfather is still alive and waiting for this to transpire. See excerpt from Beamish's 2014 article below.

Steinauer, who was born in Seattle and grew up in Lynnwood, Wash., was an all-star defensive back and kick returner at Western Washington in an era when the school scheduled games against rival Simon Fraser in the Columbia Football Association. In 1995, his final season with the Vikings, Steinauer was a consensus first-team All-American and named the school’s top male athlete. Basketball player Gina Sampson, from Kirkland, Wash., was given top female athlete honours that same year.

Their marriage didn’t end the debate about who is the best athlete in the family.

“Orlondo, he could play,” says former WWU running back Pat Locker, who holds the school’s record for combined yards. “He was outstanding on the defensive side of the ball and on special teams. He’s on our all-century team. It’s a pretty elite group. He was the only one who made it in dual positions.”

After more than 100 years of football at Western -- it started in 1903 -- the program came to a screeching halt in 2009, when a new president took over and it was announced the school would no longer field a team due to budget constraints.

“It was done in the dark of night. It still leaves a bad taste down here,” says Locker, the uncle of Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, who played his high school football in Ferndale, Wash.

By coincidence, Pat Locker is a real estate agent. He negotiated the sale of the Ferndale house currently occupied by Gene Steinauer, Orlondo’s grandfather, the dominant male influence in his life as the child of a single working mom, Gene’s daughter, Margaret.

Gene Steinauer, a retired police officer, is 86, and he admits to being a little hard of hearing. Still, he’s aware that Orlondo’s name has surfaced as one of the leading candidates to fill the B.C. Lions’ head coaching job, left vacant when Mike Benevides was fired last week.

“That would be a godsend,” Gene said. “He’s pretty young for a head coach (41), but you never know. He did a good job this year. As a person, he's a tremendous young man. He worked very, very hard to get where he is. He’s a student of the game of football. He told his grandma (Bonnie), when he was five or six, that he was going to be a football player and coach. Thank goodness, he was able to accomplish it.”

During a Grey Cup media event Thursday in Vancouver, Orlondo Steinauer refused to be drawn into speculation, much less discussion, about the Lions’ opening.

When asked what a possible career move back to the West Coast would mean to him on a personal level, he talked about the generic delights of Cascadia, outside of monsoon season, “Spring and summer, it’s the most beautiful place to be,” he said.

Queried if he’s ready to be a head coach, Steinauer responded tersely, “I’m not going there.”

But he knows how much it would mean to his grandpa if he did land in Vancouver, about 70 kms. north of Ferndale, a 45-minute drive away with a Nexus border pass.
David
Team Captain

Whoever Mike Reilly wants. :wink:

Seriously though, I am about 60% sure it will be Steinhauer. He has ties to the Seattle area and he has a very good rep. I am with B.C.FAN though. Elizondo excites me more just because we need a sharp offensive mind. We have been really mired in dull football for the past number of years and really need to excite the fan base.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Good find Ernie. Proximity to northwest Washington has served BC well in the past for making it attractive to free agents. Should be no different for coaches. It's not the be all to end all factor but certainly can't hurt. Trouble now is growing up in the area might not trump the fact he's played or coached in the Toronto/Hamilton area for 19 of the last 21 years. Going back to the dissolving of the Ottawa Rough Riders after the 1996 he's been part of either the Argos or Ti-Cats every year except for 2009 which was the year between his final year as a player and first year as an Argo assistant and 2017 when he took a detour thru Fresno State. He's spent almost as much of his lifetime in the Golden Horseshoe as he has in the Pacific Northwest. No idea where he lives back there but he might not even have to call in the movers to take a job with the Argos.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Choosing Steinauer would be fine, by me.

Let's not forget that Ottawa DC Noel Thorpe has a west coast connection also. Born in Vancouver. Fully credentialed.

As a very successful, innovative OC coach, I think Elizondo should get a long look.

Would LaPolice be interested in a move back to the Head Coaching position?

I am feeling that there is a good selection of highly qualified candidates out there, especially as Hervey wants a CFL guy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Since the poll format was added I went back and registered my vote for Steinauer but I’m less confident it will be him than I was earlier this week. The Ticats seem to be keen on finding a way to keep him, and his past history with the Argos could make that his backup plan. He may not have to move his family to work in Toronto.
yukonlion
All Star

I f you actually look at Steinhauers record its not much better than Mark W's.... love claybrooks but is he a good head coach?? difficult choice .. and calgarys D carrierd them this year....i weirdly think elizondo from ottawa is good.. we have the personal to be a potent offence....
Islander
prospect

All rumours aside, I had a feeling it would be Claybrooks from the beginning. I'm not even sure why, he just seems like Hervey's kind of coach. Also, Steinhauer is now the Ti-cats head coach, so there goes that idea.
If not Claybrooks, bet on Craig Dickenson.

Just my two cents worth.

Andrew
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Argos have no HC but have a few candidates lined up including - if I heard it right - Cory Chamblin.

But is this not odd?
Asking the Stamps if it's okay to interview their Ryan Dinwaddie for OC? Might make sense if they've all but inked a deal with Chamblin and he wants him but that hasn't happened.

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/05/stamp ... nator-job/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy