"Who will succeed Buono in B.C.?" -- DeVone Claybrooks is the man.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vacancy in Toronto

Vacancy in B.C.

Vacancy in Edmonton maybe

Who are obvious candidates?

Noel Thorpe. Great at defence, Xs and Os, aggressive philosophy (That can always be dialed down. A conservative philosophy can not really be dialed up, imo.) Being a HC is different than being a DC. Can he get players to buy in to his vision?

I would rather have an OC type of HC. Paul LaPolice. More money. Career advancement. Some experience to draw on. Xs and Os mastery. Good with the media. √ Check all the boxes. Need a sales pitch? Make it, Ed.

Steinauer? DC. Not my preference.

Elizondo? This fan would prefer more playing experience, although Rick Campbell is doing fine. Chris Jones and Noel Thorpe also lack that, so it may be irrelevant.

Marcus Crandell? I don't think so.

Benny? No.

Washington? No.

Trestman? Not at this time. Something wrong there.

Claybrooks. Too early. It's Dickie's show over there.

Maas? Maybe. Xs and Os good. He lost it for a while in Edmonton. I expect he can learn.

Dunigan? Yes. Players will buy in, big time, imo. Natural leader. He has the perspective on what is important. Need a sales pitch to get him off TSN and whatever else he might be doing? Make it, Ed. This fan would like to see what he can do in a good situation, unlike what he had in Calgary.

Chapdelaine? Possibly. Xs and Os are good, imo. He has been very successful as HC in college. Did pretty well in a horrible situation in Montreal. Too much baggage here perhaps with some fans.

Just some quick thoughts. I hope Ed deals himself Aces with his decision.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

There could be a dark horse candidate. I think Argos are more likely to go off the board though than the Lions, for that is Popp's style.

I just hope he does not hire Washington.

If Bombers lose Sunday will they fire O'Shea?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think O’Shea saved his job with the Bombers’ five-game winning streak to qualify for the playoffs. I hope he gets an extension so LaPolice can weigh the comfort of staying in Winnipeg as OC against the extra money and prestige of being a head coach elsewhere. He would be at the top of my list.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tommy Condell being thought of? Steinhauer is interesting as are others but who knows as they're untested.

Again for me, all these DC and OC potentials are great in their roles. BUT HC is different and Lapo (while he had that bad GM ) wasn't great as HC and hung on to the OC role where he clearly excels at.

I had many like reporting to me over the years as an executive. You wouldn't have wanted to lose them in these specific roles as they were outstanding in the more narrow areas than how to lead where greater breadth is critical. It is not that I didn't want to develop them as I was the one who promoted all of them and some were risky.

Yet most who understand the exec role and the differing kinds of pressures and challenges that the exec levels face and are quite comfortable being outstanding in their role.

When Mike Benevides was pondering keeping DC it was just one more sign that he didn't grasp the enormity of the role of HC. Some OCs and DCs love the contact with their players - something that is not as possible if you're the HC who has to decide he needs that player to sit as he has needs in other areas.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Craig Dickenson is a name to watch. Not here, but he's due for a HC opportunity
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think Dunigan should avoid the stress of coaching. It might not be good for him.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:36 pm
I think O’Shea saved his job with the Bombers’ five-game winning streak to qualify for the playoffs. I hope he gets an extension so LaPolice can weigh the comfort of staying in Winnipeg as OC against the extra money and prestige of being a head coach elsewhere. He would be at the top of my list.
There's a fair bit of support on Lionbackers behind consideration of LaPolice as Lions Head Coach candidate. I can readily see why, based on his current success as Bombers OC. I think the majority lean toward hiring a man who's first and foremost savvy with the offence and X's and O's. So it seems like a solid notion. I'm not against it at all, i.e. to consider him as a good candidate.

However, I do wonder about that past record as HC with the Bombers and the regular season record over the span of his three years in that capacity wherein the team managed only a total of 16 wins. Far from stellar. I'd be interested in hearing some analysis as to why that might have been the case. I don't anymore recall the bigger circumstance and what the details/issues were, what all might have gone against success. He and his team did make it to a Grey Cup (and lost to our Leos) but I don't recall them as a formidable foe. But much I've forgotten.

So, what precisely might be the biggest concerns regards LaPolice as HC? Getting inside Ed's head as he takes on the task at hand, what would be Hervey's biggest cause for hesitation? And would that be outweighed by the positives, given "that was then and this is now" -- i..e he's had several years of growth as a coach, even if not as head coach?

I wonder also if he's the ambitious type -- i.e. enough to leave his comfort (as you put it B.C.FAN), and also considering the fact he and his family (wife and kids) have made Winnipeg their permanent home since 2011. Plus he's not a West coast guy, being from New Hampshire. That said, if you can make a Canadian prairie city your home (much as I like the Peg), I guess a decision to move West could seem like a comparatively easy breeze decision. Uprooting kids and family is still a significant thing though.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:04 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:36 pm
There's a fair bit of support on Lionbackers behind consideration of LaPolice as Lions Head Coach candidate. I can readily see why, based on his current success as Bombers OC. I think the majority lean toward hiring a man who's first and foremost savvy with the offence and X's and O's. So it seems like a solid notion. I'm not against it at all, i.e. to consider him as a good candidate.

However, I do wonder about that past record as HC with the Bombers and the regular season record over the span of his three years in that capacity wherein the team managed only a total of 16 wins. Far from stellar. I'd be interested in hearing some analysis as to why that might have been the case. I don't anymore recall the bigger circumstance and what the details/issues were, what all might have gone against success. He and his team did make it to a Grey Cup (and lost to our Leos) but I don't recall them as a formidable foe. But much I've forgotten.

So, what precisely might be the biggest concerns regards LaPolice as HC? Getting inside Ed's head as he takes on the task at hand, what would be Hervey's biggest cause for hesitation? And would that be outweighed by the positives, given "that was then and this is now" -- i..e he's had several years of growth as a coach, even if not as head coach?

I wonder also if he's the ambitious type -- i.e. enough to leave his comfort (as you put it B.C.FAN), and also considering the fact he and his family (wife and kids) have made Winnipeg their permanent home since 2011. Plus he's not a West coast guy, being from New Hampshire. That said, if you can make a Canadian prairie city your home (much as I like the Peg), I guess a decision to move West could seem like a comparatively easy breeze decision. Uprooting kids and family is still a significant thing though.
Just to add a quick afterthought to the above musings: In addition I too wonder (as others well might) about whether LaPolice at all fits the profile that Hervey historically prefers. Looking at his two well-known HC hires, those being Chris Jones and Jason Maas, what those two guys share so far as character-type and temperament are concerned is not shared by Paul LePolice (for better or for worse, depending on what you want and where you stand on certain issues relating to personal style). It would be a very interesting and perhaps unusual marriage -- Hervey and LaPolice. They might even be incompatible? And I mean that more as a question than a statement. Dunno. Much as I think there's great potential there.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Re: hiring of Paul LaPolice. Careful what you wish for. There was a lot talk in the past about hiring Jarius Jackson as Offensive Coordinator. How is that working out ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Re: hiring of Paul LaPolice. Careful what you wish for. There was a lot talk in the past about hiring Jarius Jackson as Offensive Coordinator. How is that working out ?
I don’t see a comparison. Jarious Jackson had never been an offensive coordinator before this year. Paul LaPolice is one of the most successful offensive coordinators in the league and has previously had success as a head coach, leading the Bombers to the Grey Cup game in 2011.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lapolice is staying in Winnipeg. I think he has no desire to leave and will only accept a head coach job again if it is in Winnipeg.

I have no clue who Hervey will hire as our new coach, if Maas stays in Edmonton and so far he has not been fired.

Both Jones and Maas are a bit hot headed and very strict with their players, kinda like Buono, so that could mean Claybrooks is out. He is well liked by his players and seems a bit too new school for Hervey I think.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm
As for Austin or Maas? No thanks. I'll pass. Neither has the temperament for the game. They both know their stuff, but both have exhibited a poor degree of impulse-control (sideline issues). Maas, to me, even exhibits clinical anger issues for which he should (or may be currently) receiving counselling. His extreme outbursts are not normal IMO.

DH :cool:
Maas really made a conscious effort to clamp down on them in the second half of the season. I honestly don't recall him visibly blowing a gasket in the last 8 or 9 games. Ironic thing about it though the Eskimos season seemed to start going south right about the time he stopped having those outbursts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 pm
I think Dunigan should avoid the stress of coaching. It might not be good for him.
I'm in the camp of don't even go there with Dunigan. Nice enough guy for sure, great ambassador for the CFL and does a good job for TSN. But c'mon. I'll grant him some slack as he coached in the F-Troop era in Calgary but would anybody other than F-Troop have handed the GM and HC reins over to a guy whose sum coaching and football admin experience was a cup of coffee as OC at Valdosta State? He would lead the Stamps to a 4-14 record after they went 5-13 in 2003. Bottom line Dunigan has 1 year of CFL coaching experience and 14 seasons have passed since that brief foray. Since then the only coaching he's done is to show how to cook a brisket on a bbq.

He could be a reincarnation of Ron Lancaster who put together back to back 2-14 seasons with the Riders before getting fired and sent to the broadcast booth. After 10 years working for CBC Lancaster was lured back to the sidelines to take over the Eskimos who had dropped to a dismal 10-8 2nd place finish in 1990 after going 16-2 in 1989. He also could be like Jon Gruden who is having a miserable go at things in Oakland after a similar 10 year hiatus in the broadcast booth. Gruden has more coaching experience in his baby finger than Dunigan has. Gruden had 22 years of coaching on his resume before Tampa fired him. While working in broadcasting he organized the FFCA (Fired Football Coaches Assn) and along with other ex-coaches continued to gather film, assemble playbooks and update game plans. With his return to coaching this season he dissolved the FFCA and took everything with him to Oakland. Would Dunigan have similar success to Lancaster or similar lack of success to Gruden? No way of knowing how he'd do until he gets a coaching gig but I'd just as soon somebody other than BC discovers the answer to that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 pm
I'm in the camp of don't even go there with Dunigan. Nice enough guy for sure, great ambassador for the CFL and does a good job for TSN. But c'mon. I'll grant him some slack as he coached in the F-Troop era in Calgary but would anybody other than F-Troop have handed the GM and HC reins over to a guy whose sum coaching and football admin experience was a cup of coffee as OC at Valdosta State? He would lead the Stamps to a 4-14 record after they went 5-13 in 2003. Bottom line Dunigan has 1 year of CFL coaching experience and 14 seasons have passed since that brief foray. Since then the only coaching he's done is to show how to cook a brisket on a bbq.

He could be a reincarnation of Ron Lancaster who put together back to back 2-14 seasons with the Riders before getting fired and sent to the broadcast booth. After 10 years working for CBC Lancaster was lured back to the sidelines to take over the Eskimos who had dropped to a dismal 10-8 2nd place finish in 1990 after going 16-2 in 1989. He also could be like Jon Gruden who is having a miserable go at things in Oakland after a similar 10 year hiatus in the broadcast booth. Gruden has more coaching experience in his baby finger than Dunigan has. Gruden had 22 years of coaching on his resume before Tampa fired him. While working in broadcasting he organized the FFCA (Fired Football Coaches Assn) and along with other ex-coaches continued to gather film, assemble playbooks and update game plans. With his return to coaching this season he dissolved the FFCA and took everything with him to Oakland. Would Dunigan have similar success to Lancaster or similar lack of success to Gruden? No way of knowing how he'd do until he gets a coaching gig but I'd just as soon somebody other than BC discovers the answer to that.
I don't have any numbers at my finger tips but didn't Lancaster, after his rough start to a HC career in Regina, eventually end up as a very successful HC in Hamilton?

I agree that Dunigan should not be considered as a HC candidate any more than say Jim Barker.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 pm
I'm in the camp of don't even go there with Dunigan. Nice enough guy for sure, great ambassador for the CFL and does a good job for TSN.

He could be a reincarnation of Ron Lancaster who put together back to back 2-14 seasons with the Riders before getting fired and sent to the broadcast booth.
I don't have any numbers at my finger tips but didn't Lancaster, after his rough start to a HC career in Regina, eventually end up as a very successful HC in Hamilton?

I agree that Dunigan should not be considered as a HC candidate any more than say Jim Barker.
I agree about Barker.

Re Dunigan. I hold to my hunch that he could be a very good HC. Not much seasoning, true. Bad results in Calgary, true, in a hopeless situation.

Lancaster could be a good reference point. Is Dunigan somewhat similar to Joe Kapp? Possibly. Kapp did OK with UCal for a time. But I don't really see them as the same type of guy.

It is mostly a hunch with Dunigan, and I expect we will not see him as a Head Coach again.

He is not an intellectual. True. Not a genius. True. But I think he understands football, and football players, very well. Is he a master of Xs and Os? He might be; that would have to be vetted.

Too many concussions for Matt? Yup. But I don't think many would say he was a genius anyway, even before all those concussions. Could he make the tough decisions? I think so. Would players take advantage of him? I don't think so. Could he set the tone for a team and lead them? IMO, absolutely. I see it in some ways similar to the military. Could a guy like Dunigan lead troops in battle, so to speak? IMO, absolutely. Does he have the character and personality to lead men? IMO, absolutely. Does he have the fire in the belly, that it seems to me, a leader needs? Absolutely.

Health issue with the concussions? That would have to be vetted.

As I said, just a hunch, and I am going to let it go now.

This CFL fan does not see any slam dunk picks for Ed Hervey. But I expect he has a fairly long list to vet already. I think his picks of Chris Jones and Jason Maas were excellent. I think the players in Edmonton liked playing for Maas. I think he is very good with offensive Xs and Os. As with some others here, including Hambone, I thnk when Maas decided to tone down his anger on the sidelines, it might have affected his ability to lead the team. I think he can sort that out. He seemed almost passive at times since then. He needs to find the right balance.

LaPolice would have to be at the top of a prospective list for this fan, but even he raises some concerns. Great at Xs and Os, seemingly. Great work as OC in Winnipeg, I think most would acknowledge. Good with the media. Mixed results in his first go round as HC. Definitely a short list candidate, if interested.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.