"Who will succeed Buono in B.C.?" -- DeVone Claybrooks is the man.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Austin seems to have a shelf life wherever he goes, 3 years and then things seem to start turning sour for him. I don't want Maas either. His intensity while laudable I think works against him in the long run, not to mention that his results in Edmonton don't really recommend him. I also don't think the general public would receive him very well in Liberal Vancouver. He often seems moody and somewhat unpleasant. Can't see that going over well here.

I don't think Washington is a good choice either. Aside from the last few weeks, has his coaching performance been all that impressive? He may be a good HC someday but I don't think it is yet. Not to mention, I think he could use some seasoning in an organization that hasn't been run the Wally way.

Claybrooks is and interesting prospect. A rookie HC but been part of a very successful franchise as both a player and a coach. One hopes that the lessons he has learned in that regime might translate to his style as a HC. He is a defensive guy but that may not matter as long as he has a good OC that he knows how let do his job. We really haven't had an offensive guy run the ship (excepting Tedford and we all know how that worked out) for many years. The change might be a good idea so that works against him.

Some of the other candidates, similar kinds of observations. Either new, defensive minded or retreads. Comes down to personality in my mind. What we need is a HC who is able to look realistically at a teams deficiencies and take positive steps to rectify them, hopefully before a season begins. We need a coach that will surround himself with good people and who he will let them do their job.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions need a HC who is willing to adapt his schemes to suit the strengths of his players rather than have a rigid system that seems to too often try to fit round pegs in square holes.
The_Pauser
Legend

If people are looking for an offensive coordinator to take over as head coach, one name I haven't seen mentioned but who might be interesting is Jaime Elizondo from Ottawa.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 am
If people are looking for an offensive coordinator to take over as head coach, one name I haven't seen mentioned but who might be interesting is Jaime Elizondo from Ottawa.
I mentioned Elizondo in the previous discussion (quoted on Page 1 of this thread). He has a solid background as an OC but I don't know much about his leadership skills. To my knowledge, he has never been a head coach at any level and has never worked out West. One unusual fact about Elizondo's background is that he has a law degree. I wonder if he plans to go into management at some point.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The error that gets made is that these sports guys don't always have a good process that starts with what they need in the way of a HC.

If you don't have thought through you have no way to assess each candidate as even coaching candidates can get well versed in interview skills.

Ed Hervey did two good picks in Chris Jones and Jason Maas but what kind of process he had is unclear.

As some note - it's what kind of leadership skills in the HC role they bring that is key as it's different when they're an OC and DC - unless you're developed like Dickenson seemed to be by Hufnagel. He was more than deserving of OC some time before promotion and similarly, before he got the HC gig.

While some might said Wally did that for Mike Benevides - I've always differed on that and could see in the then sideline demeanour and approach by Benevides he had not matured beyond a bit of a showman prior to getting his HC role.

What is a shame was that Matt Dunigan didn't get back to coaching. He had too many roles in Calgary but he showed some decent coaching skills. I still recall the pass and kick for a called back TD that would have won the game for the Stamps in BC Place. Refs f...ked up and we had none of what we have now for review.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Whereas there's been recent murmurs and speculation about pivot Mike Reilly QB possibly coming our way next season, I've long been dreaming of Mike Riley (longtime Coach) coming back to the CFL and to the province where his dad Bud Riley retired to (in Penticton). Father and son were two of my favourite character-types ever in this league's coaching fraternity's long history.

Mike R. has moved around States-side since leaving the Blue Bombers many moons ago, hanging his hat at Oregon State a few times as well as Nebraska (in the college ranks), and also the then-San Diego Chargers of the NFL a while back. He's currently head coach of the new San Antonio franchise in the Alliance league which will play its inaugural 12-week schedule (Feb through April) in 2019. We shall see how that goes -- if the league's a keeper and if the coach stays put. That may not be the case.

What I so like about Mike Riley besides his character and demeanor (which wouldn't amount to much on its own so far as being a truly successful head coach) is the fact he loves creating his own offensive schemes and additionally loves calling the plays. (He says he regrets not having called the plays in Nebraska from where he was fired (2017) after three years stay.)

Who knows -- stranger things have happened. Next year -- two Mikes with rhyming surnames? Most unlikely I know. (And BTW, with that comment I'm not necessarily advocating for Mike Reilly QB though I greatly admire him, I so greatly admire my local hero TL14 every inch as much, as Travis is one of a kind.)

Here's a fairly recent article on Mike R. the coach: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/ ... 50881.html
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm
My first choice would be Marc Trestman if he is available then Claybrooks.
Yes, TheLionKing, I couldn't agree more about Trestman. I guess my hope would be that he will, by now, have tired of his travails with the Argos and will be open to a new start with the Lions. Unlikely for sure, but one can hope. I agree with those who see an offense-oriented guy as what we need. Leave the defense to a good DC, perhaps replacing Washington. Maybe Claybrooks would like to move to the coast as Lions DC....
Some of the speculation out of Toronto is that odds are pretty good that either Trestman or Popp if not both will be gone. There's been some rumblings that if Trestman is tired of his travails with the Argos a lot of Argos are equally tired of their travails with Trestman. There may be a reason behind why his 5 year stint in Montreal is his longest stop anywhere. He had 3 year stops with Arizona Cards and Oakland Raiders back around the turn of the millennium. His other 10 pro football stops have been for 2 years or less.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm
Whereas there's been recent murmurs and speculation about pivot Mike Reilly QB possibly coming our way next season, I've long been dreaming of Mike Riley (longtime Coach) coming back to the CFL and to the province where his dad Bud Riley retired to (in Penticton). Father and son were two of my favourite character-types ever in this league's coaching fraternity's long history.

Mike R. has moved around States-side since leaving the Blue Bombers many moons ago, hanging his hat at Oregon State a few times as well as Nebraska (in the college ranks), and also the then-San Diego Chargers of the NFL a while back. He's currently head coach of the new San Antonio franchise in the Alliance league which will play its inaugural 12-week schedule (Feb through April) in 2019. We shall see how that goes -- if the league's a keeper and if the coach stays put. That may not be the case.

What I so like about Mike Riley besides his character and demeanor (which wouldn't amount to much on its own so far as being a truly successful head coach) is the fact he loves creating his own offensive schemes and additionally loves calling the plays. (He says he regrets not having called the plays in Nebraska from where he was fired (2017) after three years stay.)

Who knows -- stranger things have happened. Next year -- two Mikes with rhyming surnames? Most unlikely I know. (And BTW, with that comment I'm not necessarily advocating for Mike Reilly QB though I greatly admire him, I so greatly admire my local hero TL14 every inch as much, as Travis is one of a kind.)

Here's a fairly recent article on Mike R. the coach: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/ ... 50881.html
Riley's name always pops up in these speculations. He certainly doesn't need the pittance the CFL pays after a decade of earning roughly $2M/year at OSU where he enjoyed almost God-like status. I never did understand why he gave that up for Nebraska given he had a job for life with the Beavers. Maybe it was the money. He stood to make $2.9M in 2017 and get bumps of $100K/year in 2018, 2019 & 2020. The severance has worked out pretty good though. He stands to make roughly $170K/Month until 2021.
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/ ... 9e684.html
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

I certainly hope it isn't Austin....the guy rides teams hard and puts them away wet.

The TiCats bailed on him big time last year. I suspect it didn't happen sooner because of the presence of Steinauer and Reinbold. But I guess there is only so much getting beaked at or berated, that a player can take.

The Lions will soon be looking at what can pass for a rebuild in the CFL. I just think Austion is too impatient, impetuous and too much of a hot head. I would much rather a cool, calm character than some showy Coaching Bro' on the sidelines.

My 2-bits.
David
Team Captain

As for Austin or Maas? No thanks. I'll pass. Neither has the temperament for the game. They both know their stuff, but both have exhibited a poor degree of impulse-control (sideline issues). Maas, to me, even exhibits clinical anger issues for which he should (or may be currently) receiving counselling. His extreme outbursts are not normal IMO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Jones, Maas, Austin, Milanovich are all well past their best-before date.

Claybrooks, Steinauer, Elizondo sound like good choices.

LaPo and Trestman not likely going anywhere.

Nobody is suggesting Chapdelaine? He got a raw deal in Montreal.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If Maas gets fired, as I predict he will, I think Hervey takes a good long look at hiring him. Especially if he thinks that might give him leverage with signing Mike Reilly. Personally I HATE the idea of Maas ever setting foot in BC Place as anything other than a visitor. Why Hervey gets credited for "hiring two good HCs" in Edmonton puzzles me. Maas has not been a a success as a HC. But at the end of the day, Maas is an Eskimo and that ticks a lot of boxes for our GM.

Chris Jones may also be looking for work if the Riders don't host and win the WDSF. Even though Hervey hired Jones in Edmonton, I can't see these two working well together now that Jones has been a GM and has done a rebuild on the Riders. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

The other potential candidate that I think Hervey would be big on is Corey Chamblin. A very similar personality to Hervey. Not shy about calling out players and likes to get grumpy with the media. Chamblin won a Grey Cup and Coach of the Year in Saskatchewan. After taking a year off, his image was greatly rehabilitated thanks to high praise from Trestman during their Grey Cup winning season. Chamblin may be at a DIV1 school, but it's a very small school playing in a small time conference. Tennessee Tech in winless so far this season, only won 1 game last year, and haven't been in a bowl game for almost 40 years. Luring him away from his NCAA job should be pretty easy.

Claybrooks will likely have his choice of every HC job available this off season. That list could include Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Montreal. BC, Edmonton, and Saskatchewan would probably be the most attractive situations for Claybrooks.

I think Steinhaur stays in Hamilton and waits to succeed June Jones. That could happen as soon as next season if the TiCats win the Grey Cup this year (I still think the TiCats will represent the east and are good enough to win the GC). If June Jones gets a ring after only 1.5 seasons in Hamilton, I see him taking a bow and retiring to Hawaii. The organization would have a stable succession plan with Steinhaur so no need for ownership to panic and try to convince Jones to stay on longer.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Interesting that Mike Riley's name still comes up every time there is a HC open in the CFL. The guy coached 4 seasons in the CFL nearly 30 years ago. He is to CFL coaching vacancies what Casey Printers is to QBs.

Sure he won two Grey Cups, but one of those (1988) was with a 9-9 team and BC gifted them that championship by throwing an interception on the goal line when we were already well into position to kick a game tying FG.

Riley's two best CFL seasons bookend his time in Winnipeg, both 12-6 finishing in first place. But his overall CFL record is just .556. He was however, pretty good at winning playoff games.

As an NCAA coach Riley's career record is .530 and his best season at OSU was 10-4. That was in 2006, the only year he won more than 9 games. He did however do well in bowl games which is probably why Riley has such a reputation for being a successful college coach. The Beavers were 6-2 in bowl games coached by Riley.

San Diego was a disaster for Riley.

Now he is the HC of the San Antonio Commanders of the new Aliance league. So you can take Riley off the list of CFL HC candidates for at least one more year.

Another thing about Riley, he is 65 years old now. Same age as June Jones, 2 years older than Mike Sherman, and only 3 years younger than Wally. I don't see him being a guy you bring in for the long term, especially after having been away from the Canadian game for almost 30 years.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:19 am
Interesting that Mike Riley's name still comes up every time there is a HC open in the CFL. The guy coached 4 seasons in the CFL nearly 30 years ago. He is to CFL coaching vacancies what Casey Printers is to QBs.

Sure he won two Grey Cups, but one of those (1988) was with a 9-9 team and BC gifted them that championship by throwing an interception on the goal line when we were already well into position to kick a game tying FG.

Riley's two best CFL seasons bookend his time in Winnipeg, both 12-6 finishing in first place. But his overall CFL record is just .556. He was however, pretty good at winning playoff games.

As an NCAA coach Riley's career record is .530 and his best season at OSU was 10-4. That was in 2006, the only year he won more than 9 games. He did however do well in bowl games which is probably why Riley has such a reputation for being a successful college coach. The Beavers were 6-2 in bowl games coached by Riley.

San Diego was a disaster for Riley.

Now he is the HC of the San Antonio Commanders of the new Aliance league. So you can take Riley off the list of CFL HC candidates for at least one more year.

Another thing about Riley, he is 65 years old now. Same age as June Jones, 2 years older than Mike Sherman, and only 3 years younger than Wally. I don't see him being a guy you bring in for the long term, especially after having been away from the Canadian game for almost 30 years.
but he was so damn nice.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am
Chris Jones may also be looking for work if the Riders don't host and win the WDSF. Even though Hervey hired Jones in Edmonton, I can't see these two working well together now that Jones has been a GM and has done a rebuild on the Riders. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
It's highly unlikely Jones is going anywhere. If he does I definitely don't see him jumping at the very first offer that jumps his way, especially one that would amount to a significant demotion and stripping of responsibilities. He is currently VP of Football Ops, GM, HC and DC. A move to a BC vacancy would see someone who has obviously craves total control have to cede most of the control he has enjoyed for the past 3 years. It's also known that Jones fancies himself as an astute recruiter and likes to be heavily involved in all aspects of player personnel. If one listens to Rider fans Jones was the genius behind the Eskimo GC win in 2015 with Hervey being a passenger. I often wonder if Hervey was more pissed at Jones taking the entire staff with him than he was that Jones himself left. There may be a bridge still smoldering in place of what once was a decent working relationship between Hervey and Jones.

There may have been some questions about his tenure a couple months back when the Riders were sputtering along at 3-4 and battling BC for the basement but an 8-2 run has them currently positioned to host the WSF and with a shot to finish 1st. The Riders have improved every year under Jones going 5-13 and 5th in 2016 to 10-8 and 4th in 2017 to at worst 11-7 and 3rd to at best 12-6 and 1st in 2018. I can't think of any organization who, based on pure results, would be unhappy with that sort of upwards trend. Where I think he could be vulnerable would be his relationship with Craig Reynolds and the Rider BOD. I have no idea what that working relationship is but always get the sense they are far more conscious about the Rider brand and image in the community than Jones. In that regard there could be a rift not unlike the one between Rhodes and Hervey that led to Ed's dismissal. There's lots of speculation that Hughes would not have been suspended and fined by the Riders without intervention from the BOD. If the relationship there is good then Jones' job is as secure as any in the CFL. If not I can see a mutual parting of ways. If that happens I see better opportunities for Jones to pursue than a pure coaching gig in BC. I think there are good chances both Montreal and Toronto will be looking to fill both GM and HC positions. If so either place could offer Jones a parallel move from his Rider responsibilities and he has previous history with both organizations.