Solomon Elimimian to be placed on 6-game injured list

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Per Lowell Ullrich, Solly suffered a wrist injury in Saturday's game against Winnipeg and will be placed on the 6-game injured list.

Report: Elimimian headed to 6-game with wrist injury
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Terrible news.
David
Team Captain

Uggh! This is awful news. I had no idea he got hurt as he played the entire game and was so charged up afterwards. Maybe it was the adrenaline rush.

What now? I guess Jordan Herdman will attempt to fill the void. Tall order to replace a future Hall-Of-Famer, but he did look very good in preseason. I suppose that move would allow us to play another International elsewhere (will Kevin Elliott draw in?). Or we could look at moving Dyshawn Davis in at MLB.

Either way, this is a terrible blow to an already porous defence thus far.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Elimimian on the 6 game IR really plays into the hands of the Redblacks' RB, William Powell and should make the Redblacks pretty big favourites this weekend.
CardiacKid
Legend

At least it is a non-fracture injury. Perhaps an indication of a possible early return from the 6-game.

So the Lions will be without one leader in Elimimian and probably another in JJ24.
Qman
Champion

no farhan said it might be up to 8 weeks
CardiacKid
Legend

Turns out he had a dislocation and nerve damage that required surgery yesterday. Sounds like Herdman will be getting his shot at MLB. Let’s wish him well.
Huge Talent
Starter

Brutal. Time to step the hell up on both sides of the ball. Otherwise it won't matter when Sol E comes back.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Steve Ewen writes on the twist of fate that saw Herdman go from being coached by Elimimian at SFU to playing with him on the Lions and now being asked to replace him.
“It’s crazy how things work sometimes,” said Herdman, 23. “From him coaching me, to us playing together, to now getting an opportunity to take over his role. It’s amazing and I’m excited about it.

“I’ve learned a great deal from Solly. He coached me for that year at SFU back in the day. And just being a teammate and seeing how he prepares and his work ethic and how he hustles … I embrace it. I’ve learned so much from him and I’ll think you’ll see that on game day.”
Ex-SFU Clan's Herdman to fill in for injured Elimimian with Lions
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The Lions have no linebackers on their practice roster. Seems they are now pretty thin at that position. Do they have anyone who can play linebacker they can activate to the roster?

Probably will now add a linebacker or two to the practice roster if they can find any.
QB Club 63
All Star

Is Micah Awe looking for work? (Last thing I heard was the Jets cut him)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

QB Club 63 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am
I don't know Awe's status but NFL TCs start in less than a week from now so if he is not at a TC he should be available very soon, or if at a camp it could be over a month before he is a FA or not available at all if he makes a roster or PR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am
QB Club 63 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am
I don't know Awe's status but NFL TCs start in less than a week from now so if he is not at a TC he should be available very soon, or if at a camp it could be over a month before he is a FA or not available at all if he makes a roster or PR.
Certainly Awe is available but I don't know if he would fit what BC should be looking for. The need someone with true MLB skills and familiarity. Right now Chagnon is the only depth behind Herdman. While Awe is about the same size as SolE I don't know how he would fare in the middle. He just seems more suited to the outside where they already have Lokombo and Davis. Certainly if cap considerations have stopped BC from getting him back they may have been alleviated with SolE going on the 6G, assuming he doesn't recover quick enough to be pulled off early.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions didn't even bring an extra middle linebacker to training camp this year. Elimimian, Herdman and Chagnon have been listed 1-2-3 on the depth chart at the position since the start of camp, with no one behind them. Dyshawn Davis would probably be the next option among roster players. MAC and WILL positions are pretty similar. Both usually line up inside, with the middle linebacker on the wide side of the field and the WILL on the short side. Adam Bighill has successfully made the transition from WILL to MAC and back several times in his career.
BC 1988
Legend

There was no indication that the injury (apart from the "dislocation" that showed probably by MRI) was the immediate result of Saturday's game. Solly appeared on the TSN morning show on Monday and sounded fine.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1140279

Wally said yesterday that it could be a "cumulative effect"--so many knocks to the wrist causing nerve damage. (Being an ex- linebacker, no doubt he was familiar with those types of injuries.)

This would make the prognosis unpredictable--could even lead to being longterm career ending (or could be minor).

Hindsight is 20-20, but BC should have tried harder to get Bighill back (and getting fined by the league for letting Awe try the NFL sure is ironic now).