Lions 22 - Alouettes 10 Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ugly game in some respects.

We will take the win.

Offensive shootout turned into defensive struggle.

Jennings played it safe, as directed. Ball control.

Details to come.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stats ...

Screenshot_20180616-220107.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This fan will happily accept that performance from Jennings.

20/24

83%

183 yards

2 TDs

57 yards rushing/scrambling

No Ints

Managed the game.

Stubler's defence is a tough nut to crack.

Willy played well too.

5 sacks by the defence :thup:

Gave up 2 sacks. Jennings took some hits.

More details later. Probably break down some plays with pictures also.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

I always count the first two regular season games as an extension of the pre-season. Wins during those first two weeks, to me, are a bonus.

What does superior line talent give you? For starters, it let's you run when you're winning, as the fourth quarter run game demonstrated. The fact that we continued to rush three or four in the second half (a few well timed blitzes notwithstanding) and actually get pressure, enabled us to adjust on the back end, cleaning up mistakes made in the first quarter. Line talent, on both sides, is significant over previous seasons and I'm encouraged, despite the lack of discipline.

In many ways, I think the Als were a good first match up for Jennings. Stubler's defenses are always a test of patience on the part of your quarterback, and Jennings was able to stick to the 1st read, 2nd read, run required to play Stubler's defense successfully. I'll be interested in Edmonton, a more aggressive team defensively that plays a bit more man to man.

Good special teams starts with solid, disciplined personnel coupled with sound coaching, and was it ever on display tonight. Coverage teams were terrific, return blocking was very good as well and Ty Long's punting was outstanding.

You can look at this as a sloppy win against a bad team with good but not great statistical results. I'm much happier than that. Above and beyond the player's performance, I thought defensively we made sound adjustments after halftime, and historically we haven't been a good adjustment coaching staff team.

One more thing I noticed; this receiving corps really, really blocks well downfield.

A good, but not great start that resulted in a win that you expect.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm

20/24

83%

183 yards

2 TDs

No Ints

Managed the game.

Stubler's defsnce is a tough nut to crack.

Willy played well too.
Stubler's defence relies on a QB and an offensive opponent at some point to get impatient and take deep shots, or for your receivers/QB to miscommunicate. Jennings exercised great patience, great patience against this type of defence. He didn't walk out gunning for 300 yards and 4 TDs, which is what you want in a QB and in Jarious.

At the risk of saying the same thing twice, when the opposing defense is rushing three and dropping nine into zone you need your receivers to be especially aggressive blocking to facilitate YAC and the run game and I think the receiving corps did a really good job of this.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would have liked less penalties and a little more yards, but great to see Jennings do well.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 pm
I would have liked less penalties and a little more yards, but great to see Jennings do well.
I imagine as the players get increasingly settled, the penalties will decrease. Jennings’ timing at the start was very impressive, especially when you consider it is a new system.

However.....

For pulling in fans and getting more bums in seats, I don’t know. Casual fans or newbies want to see an aerial attack that results in 300+ yds for the home QB. But going against a Rich Stubler defense, your mantra has to be “take what they give you”.

Let’s see how she goes....

Still unsure of Young....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wasn't a masterpiece but I'll take it. Liked Jenning's performance. Statistically it wasn't great but he demonstrated patience, taking what Stubler was giving him and most importantly did not force the football, something he did with regularity last season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob
Legend

That iffy procedure penalty after the Lions jumped first helped stall Montreal late in the fourth. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:46 pm
For pulling in fans and getting more bums in seats, I don’t know. Casual fans or newbies want to see an aerial attack that results in 300+ yds for the home QB. But going against a Rich Stubler defense, your mantra has to be “take what they give you”.
The new Jarious Jackson offence isn't like the old offence. Most passes are completed within five yards of the line of scrimmage. It is a ball control offence. Shaq Johnson and Ricky Collins will get their shots downfield in most games. Shaq had the only deep catch of the game for a 35-yard TD. The Lions' next longest pass play was 18 yards. Jennings missed a couple of corner routes to Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham when he held the ball a bit too long and threw it out of bounds. He had only two other incompletions, one of which was intentional. There weren't many other opportunities to throw downfield in this game against a Rich Stubler defence that played a lot of solid man coverage across the field and snuffed out most of the Lions' misdirection running plays with good disciplined defensive play off the edge.

It wasn't flashy and Jonathon Jennings is still learning and showing some indecision but I liked that he ran the ball much more than he has in the past. He was the Lions' leading rusher with 9 carries for 57 yards. Jeremiah Johnson had 10 carries for 52 yards. Jennings was decisive and got the ball out quickly on the clinching TD drive, hitting several quick slants and curls, finishing with two nice TD passes, one to Collins that was called back and one to Watson that stood and made the score 22-10.

Defensively, it didn't start well, with several blown coverages in the first quarter. Farhan said on the postgame show that one was he result of Anthony Thompson getting caught too shallow and allowing a completion over his head. The other was Bo Lokombo not getting deep in a cover-2.Lokombo is often deployed in deep zone coverage the same way that Adam Bighill was when he played weakside linebacker. Unlike last year, the Lions cleaned up their early defensive mistakes and pitched a shutout in the final three quarters. The Lions picked up 5 sacks and the game's only interception, which set up that final touchdown.

Special teams were solid, with great downfield coverage. Ty Long averaged 54.4 yards punting and 40.9 yards net. On average the Lions gained 9 yards in field position with each exchange of punts. Long still hasn't mastered directional punting, kicking two singles on balls that should have gone out of bounds but the points were important at the time.

A win is a win. The Lions are guaranteed to go into Week 3 in Edmonton undefeated. That game will be a bigger test for both defences. The Lions should get more chances to throw the ball downfield, and they'll have to make the best of them because Mike Reilly and the Eskimo offence is still hard to stop, especially when the game is on the line.
Huge Talent
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm

20/24

83%

183 yards

2 TDs

No Ints

Managed the game.

Stubler's defsnce is a tough nut to crack.

Willy played well too.
Stubler's defence relies on a QB and an offensive opponent at some point to get impatient and take deep shots, or for your receivers/QB to miscommunicate. Jennings exercised great patience, great patience against this type of defence. He didn't walk out gunning for 300 yards and 4 TDs, which is what you want in a QB and in Jarious.

At the risk of saying the same thing twice, when the opposing defense is rushing three and dropping nine into zone you need your receivers to be especially aggressive blocking to facilitate YAC and the run game and I think the receiving corps did a really good job of this.
Great points! The game felt a little like a dud. BUT, we'll take the W, and like you clearly stated, you take the small stuff all night. get the 22 points and call it a night.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

5 on the LOS. 8 in the box. Good pressure generated with the blitz. Sack by Knapton. IMO an excellent acquisition by Hervey.

2018-06-17_0227.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.