Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:14 pm
Do Moj and Giulio host a weeky radio show on AM730? I thought it was Tuesdays, but I could be mitaken.

DH :cool:
I thought that they did a show on Tuesday but I have not been able to listen on the radio. I've tried to listen to the podcast, but couldn't find it either.

I also thought that Farhan and Moj were going to do a show online but haven't found that one either.

I miss Farhan on the pre and post game Lions shows.
BC 1988
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:28 am
David wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:14 pm
Do Moj and Giulio host a weeky radio show on AM730? I thought it was Tuesdays, but I could be mitaken.

I thought that they did a show on Tuesday but I have not been able to listen on the radio. I've tried to listen to the podcast, but couldn't find it either.

I also thought that Farhan and Moj were going to do a show online but haven't found that one either.

I miss Farhan on the pre and post game Lions shows.
I've had no luck finding any BC Lions programming other than the game broadcasts (with pre and post shows).

Talking Football with Farhan and Moj had an introductory EP August 3rd.
https://www.farhanandmoj.com
They are all on YouTube, but it's easier to just go to the website. New EPs are on a live Tuesdays 5pm schedule, then archived. Full length EPs are Aug 10, 17, 24
There is some CFL coverage, but it sounds like the main focus will be NFL and College Football. These are "soft launch" audio only and will eventually be on camera in Sept.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the reply, guys.

I do know that Coach Campbell has a radio hit on Monday mornings on CKNW called, "Monday Morning Quarterback." This would be huge exposure for the Lions as morning drive time on a station like NW pulls in thousands of listeners.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

HC Campbell on with Sekeres & Price today. Quite a wide ranging interview, he comes across as very unguarded (unlike Wally who despite his folksy way of speaking, approached interviews with an underlying defensive stance.) Starts at 2:10:30
https://omny.fm/shows/sekeres-price/august-31-2021
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:57 am

I do know that Coach Campbell has a radio hit on Monday mornings on CKNW called, "Monday Morning Quarterback." This would be huge exposure for the Lions as morning drive time on a station like NW pulls in thousands of listeners.

Lol. I used to tune into NW live streaming at work. But that was only for noon news followed by noon sports back when Jim Mullin was doing it. That was so long ago he'd be handing things off to Christy Clark who would take over with her show at 12:15. That was around 2008 before she became Premier. I used to get a kick out of Jim calling her "Toots". :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:22 am
David wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:57 am

Lol. I used to tune into NW live streaming at work. But that was only for noon news followed by noon sports back when Jim Mullin was doing it. That was so long ago he'd be handing things off to Christy Clark who would take over with her show at 12:15. That was around 2008 before she became Premier. I used to get a kick out of Jim calling her "Toots". :wink:
She's been called a lot worse....by a young Aussie broadcaster named Drex, live on air. :wink:

She laughed off the pejorative term for ummm..."attractive mothers."

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

More local radio changes today impacting Lions coverage. Rintoul & Surman has been axed (also some shuffling in Toronto as Rogers becomes more Toronto-centric). The awkward Vancouver-Calgary show did have quite a bit of CFL--both BC & CGY focused).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I noticed in the weekend TV sports ratings that viewership of the Lions’ most embarrassing loss in over half a century on Saturday outdrew the Canucks’ historic first visit to Seattle by a wide margin, 601,000 to 488,000. I don’t know how many of those viewers were in B.C. but it shows that CFL interest is much higher than one would assume from the local media. Of course, it’s probably not good that so many people saw how poorly the Lions played.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

There has always been a strong TV audience for the Lions in the B.C. interior and I imagine there is now a very large Bomber following in Manitoba as no CFL team has been this strong a GC repeat champ favourite in quite some time.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

That’s the sad thing. The interest is still there and it seemed like there was tons of momentum a few weeks ago with new owner, 4-2 record and the superb collaboration with First Nations for Orange Shirt Day.
That was until these shockingly uninspired performances in the last 3 games.

TSN sends Farhan to Seattle tonight for Monday night football. Hopefully he is in Surrey this week to ask some really tough questions. Like a 1 on 1 with Maksymic on what the hell has happened to the offence.

With no beat writers and the broadcast technically being done by Lions employees nowhere near enough heat being turned up on them for the dismal play. The lone exception being JC Abbott’s post game recaps
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’d be happy to have any outside eyes on practice, not just for interviews that are most often conducted by Zoom these days but to see who is taking live reps at QB, receiver and other key positions and how they are performing. If anyone is able to attend practice tomorrow, I’d love to know what’s happening with the quarterbacks.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

At least we have the official CFL injury reports this year to give us some real information from practice. Nathan Rourke didn’t participate Tuesday. He is listed as having an injured right shoulder. Michael Reilly is not on the injury report. The right elbow that hampered him since training camp has not been mentioned on the injury reports in recent weeks.

Other starters who didn’t practise Tuesday were Jevon Cottoy (calf), Lemar Durant (ribs) and TJ Lee (hamstring).

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Managed to find the time to spend about 45 minutes at today's practice in Surrey. Of course, not single member of the vanishing media to be found. It is Whitecaps game day at home and of course 650 is busy 24/7 dissecting game #7 of the Canucks season.

Most positive observation is look for the return of Dominque Rhymes at slotback as he took all first team snaps today at SB. Rounding out the starting 5, today at least, were Burnham, Hatcher, Johnson and Scarfone.
Rhymes was taking Jevon Cottoy's spot from last week while Johnson moved ahead of Posey for ratio purposes I imagine.
Big #86 was part of a non-dressed conditioning group that included Lucky Whitehead, Victor Gamboa, Ryker Matthews and Jarell Broxton. Durant (ribs) also did not practice and seemed to have some discomfort when he did do some running on the side.

Was hoping to see Matthews more involved. I guess he is at least doing some light running but sure looking like his season is going to be a complete write off unless he somehow makes some significant strides while the team is in Ontario for the 2-game swing.

Rourke did no throwing in drills today. That was left all to Reilly. But watching how active and engaged he was, also doing some limited throwing on the side, I would guess he still dresses as the #2 on Saturday ahead of Kevin Thomson.

Secondary also banged up with Bejour Wilson taking TJ Lee's snaps at halfback today and Jalon Edwards-Cooper at safety for Hardin. Still think Lee finds a way to play. Sayles remains at halfback with Hakeem Johnson poised to make his 2nd straight start alongside him at corner.
David
Team Captain

Thanks so much for the informative report, SammyGreene!! :rockin:

Did you ever think we'd see the day when we're relying on fans to make appearances at practice just to get some unfiltered news on the team (no disrespect to Matt Baker who does a fine job promoting the club)? Virtually zero media coverage on the club. Unbelievable.

Good to see Rhymes back. We need him! Doubtful that we see Durant this week. Holding out hope for Cottoy (calf) but we'll have to see whether he practices tomorrow. I noticed that Rourke is listed once again as "DNP" which confirms my suspicion that this is likely a longer-term injury to his throwing shoulder.

The Toronto weather forecast for Saturday looks dreadful (periods of rain and a high of 10 degrees) so the running game will be important. At least we're used to this kind of weather so ball security shouldn't be an issue! :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Did you ever think we'd see the day when we're relying on fans to make appearances at practice just to get some unfiltered news on the team (no disrespect to Matt Baker who does a fine job promoting the club)? Virtually zero media coverage on the club. Unbelievable.
Didn’t think I would ever see it reach this point. A 4-game losing streak including an absolute embarrassment in Winnipeg and no concern of having to face the music when you get back home.
No one is even going to notice they won’t be coming back home after the Toronto game. 😟

The status and progress of players 6-gamed like Rhymes or Matthews? Who knows unless you actually make the effort to get out to Surrey.
Do the players have the perception no one really cares in this town? Not sure