Lions at Esks Oct. 17, 2015 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions face a big but winnable test in Edmonton on Saturday as they seek to keep their playoff hopes alive in the three-way turtle derby for the final playoff spot in the West. The Lions and Esks split the previous two games this season, with both games being won in the dying minutes. Despite the difference in their overall records, these teams match up well. A potential playoff matchup would not be easy for the Esks.

The Lions are as healthy as can be at this time of the year, with no changes to the roster or depth chart from last week. Barring last-minute injuries, Cord Parks and Josh Aladenoye will likely be healthy scratches.

Jonathon Jennings will try to throw for over 300 yards for a third straight game. Jennings has thrown for 1,017 yards in his first three starts. According to league statisticians, only two QBs have thrown for more yards in their first three CFL starts, Jeff Garcia in 1995 and Tobin Rote in 1961. That's pretty good company for the 23-year-old rookie.

A key to the game will be to keep moving the ball through the air in the second half. The Lions blew halftime leads against Edmonton and Winnipeg in recent weeks, in part because they couldn't keep their offence rolling. Jennings' key third-quarter interception last week seemed to hurt his confidence and the coaches' confidence in him. They have to put it in the past and come out throwing again. The fourth quarter in particular has been the Lions' downfall. They've led going into the fourth quarter eight times and have lost five of those games. For the year, the Lions' scoring differential is +7 over the first three quarters, and -64 in the fourth quarter. If they had closed out those five games, they'd be 10-4 instead of 5-9 and would be fighting for first place.

Special teams ... Well, enough has been said about special teams in recent weeks. I'm sure Lions' fans will hold their breath on every special teams play. Getting some big returns from Chris Rainey, who has been held in check lately, could help this week.

The Lions have the toughest remaining schedule of the three teams fighting for the final playoff spot. Their four remaining games are against teams all tied for first place in their divisions: Edmonton, Hamilton, Toronto and Calgary. They'll have to earn a playoff spot by beating some good teams. It starts in Edmonton.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

I have a gut feeling the Lions will pull out 2 of 4.

1 win tomorrow against Edmonton and the other against the Ti-Cats next weekend.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions face a big but winnable test in Edmonton on Saturday as they seek to keep their playoff hopes alive in the three-way turtle derby for the final playoff spot in the West. The Lions and Esks split the previous two games this season, with both games being won in the dying minutes. Despite the difference in their overall records, these teams match up well. A potential playoff matchup would not be easy for the Esks.

The Lions are as healthy as can be at this time of the year, with no changes to the roster or depth chart from last week. Barring last-minute injuries, Cord Parks and Josh Aladenoye will likely be healthy scratches.

Jonathon Jennings will try to throw for over 300 yards for a third straight game. Jennings has thrown for 1,017 yards in his first three starts. According to league statisticians, only two QBs have thrown for more yards in their first three CFL starts, Jeff Garcia in 1995 and Tobin Rote in 1961. That's pretty good company for the 23-year-old rookie.

A key to the game will be to keep moving the ball through the air in the second half. The Lions blew halftime leads against Edmonton and Winnipeg in recent weeks, in part because they couldn't keep their offence rolling. Jennings' key third-quarter interception last week seemed to hurt his confidence and the coaches' confidence in him. They have to put it in the past and come out throwing again. The fourth quarter in particular has been the Lions' downfall. They've led going into the fourth quarter eight times and have lost five of those games. For the year, the Lions' scoring differential is +7 over the first three quarters, and -64 in the fourth quarter. If they had closed out those five games, they'd be 10-4 instead of 5-9 and would be fighting for first place.

Special teams ... Well, enough has been said about special teams in recent weeks. I'm sure Lions' fans will hold their breath on every special teams play. Getting some big returns from Chris Rainey, who has been held in check lately, could help this week.

The Lions have the toughest remaining schedule of the three teams fighting for the final playoff spot. Their four remaining games are against teams all tied for first place in their divisions: Edmonton, Hamilton, Toronto and Calgary. They'll have to earn a playoff spot by beating some good teams. It starts in Edmonton.
Good preview, BCF.

We ride the Jennings train.

Jones will be sending pressure. Hopefully we have planned well for that.

STs? No tricks against, please.

Tricks for? Wally does not like that stuff.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If these picks hold true, good for us.
Weekly Predictor: Four in a row for the Argos?

Posted: October 15, 2015 08:30 PM

Jamie Nye
Jamie Nye
CFL.ca

Jamie Nye flirted with a purrfect Week 16 in CFL Pick 'Em but a Bombers second-half comeback left him 3-1 on the week. How will he bounce back in Week 17?

All four matchups have heavy favourites this weekend and Nye is going against the grain on one of them, picking the Toronto Argonauts to upset the Calgary Stampeders in a home game at Hamilton's Tim Hortons Field. The home stretch is officially here and with it are Nye's Week 17 picks:

Winnipeg vs. Ottawa

Both the REDBLACKS and the Bombers have a lot to play for on Friday night. Ottawa is trying to keep pace with Toronto and Hamilton at the top of the East Division. Winnipeg is looking for a win to try and jump into the final playoff spot. The Bombers got an emotional win with a late kick against BC. Ottawa is coming off that heart breaker to Toronto last week, as well as dealing with Jeremiah Johnson being lost for the season. All that said, I'm taking the eight-win team at home.

PICK: Ottawa with 70% confidence

Play CFL Pick 'Em

Can Henry Burris get the REDBLACKS back in the win column vs. Winnipeg?

» Play CFL Pick 'Em

Calgary vs. Toronto

Saturday we'll see two second place teams feeling much differently heading in. Toronto has won two games in six days to tie Hamilton for top spot in their division. The Stampeders lost last week to Edmonton and sit in second, tied with the first place Eskimos. The Stamps haven't been playing their best football while the Toronto Argonauts offence continues to click. Trevor Harris is back to playing MOP calibre football. How will the move to Tim Hortons Field impact the Argos? Who knows, they've been dealing well with their nomadic season just fine so far.

PICK: Toronto with 25% confidence

BC vs. Edmonton

I was certain the BC Lions would beat Winnipeg last week and the Lions fell flat. Jonathon Jennings wasn't as crisp and the defence couldn't hold off a late Bombers surge. Now they go into Edmonton to take on the rolling Edmonton Eskimos who haven't lost in over a month. I'm going to be riding the hot hand this week.

PICK: Edmonton with 80% confidence

Hamilton vs. Montreal

I don't know who will play quarterback as of writing these picks for Montreal, although I'm not sure it's going to matter. Jeff Mathews played well against the Roughriders last week, but that defence was again a powerful group. Mathews just has to manage this game and not try to do too much. The Tiger-Cats defence should do more than enough to give Mathews decent field position. The Alouettes defence however is just as prone to making the big play so I don't think this is as much of a run away as maybe the records indicate.

PICK: Hamilton with 90% confidence
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm really interested in seeing how the special teams play this week after last week's debacle.
peeby
Starter

Please, no tricks. We're Lions!!

A play on the no sex we're English thing of.. hmm.. 80 years ago?

I also think the game is winnable, but it would be hard to justify. Edmonton has a pretty good D-line and our O-line shouldn't match up. I thought I heard they have O-line issues, however, so maybe that's where we can get 'em with our vaunted rush. You listening Mark Washington? The other problem the Eskimos have is that their number one receiver is Nick Moore. Yes, I know. Nick's dropping them in Wpg, but that Bowman guy drops as many or more. I still have issues with American receivers dropping catchable passes. If it's going to be dropped, give me a Canadian any day.
pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

BC vs. Edmonton

I was certain the BC Lions would beat Winnipeg last week and the Lions fell flat. Jonathon Jennings wasn't as crisp and the defence couldn't hold off a late Bombers surge. Now they go into Edmonton to take on the rolling Edmonton Eskimos who haven't lost in over a month. I'm going to be riding the hot hand this week.

PICK: Edmonton
Did Jamie Nye actually watch this game ? He put's it on Jennings not being crisp and the defence not holding ? No mention of special teams abdicating ? Really ?
JohnHenry
Champion

Maybe the coach should try a different pep talk at halftime? :cheer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions survive the 1st play on Special Teams
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Poor special teams coverage results in good field position for the Eskimos
aklawitter
All Star

almost got McMann'd there if it wasn't for Biggie
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Lions survive the 1st play on Special Teams
And just barely the 2nd one, another big return allowed that was nearly a TD.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The extra special teams practice this week doesn't seem to have paid off.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whyte stakes Edm to a 3-0 lead with a 40yder.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2 and out