CFL Regular Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:It seemed like the Riders shot themselves in the foot so many times that they ran out of bullets and as a result they almost won. :shock:

There were so many penalties that the penalties on the D did more to extend drives than plays by the players and likewise penalties committed by the O ended lots of drives and prevented lots of TDs. :dizzy:
It's really comical how SSK managed to lose that game--completely undisciplined. I haven't looked over at RiderFans yet to see the tale of woe :rotf:
Attendance was 20,642. Pretty good for Rogers Centre, but it sounded and looked like at least 1/3 of the crowd was Gang Green. The same matchup on Saturday July 5, 2014 had 17,758 attendance.
dupsdell1
Champion

The CFL is going through a major change this year new QBs new rules , a lot of new players in the league that do not the rules etc. Yes I think the Refs can hang back a bit on calling penalties but I do not blame them for 100% of the penalty's being called.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TSN can't cut away fast enough from a CFL game when the final gun sounds yet here there are with the Wpg@Ham game to show and they're still going with post-race coverage of the NASCAR event that finished like 10 minutes ago. I know it's airing on other platforms but I can't access those at the moment, nor does TSN ever extend CFL broadcasts for a post-game wrap and relegate whatever's next to TSN3/4/5 like they're doing right now to the CFL.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On the first series of the game Ham gets a pick six on Drew Willy. They follow it up 2 & out with a partially blocked Lirim H punt that sets them up on the Wpg23, where they cash in right away with another major. Ham leading 14-0 having run only one play from scrimmage on offence.

Now Ham recovers their own kickoff in Wpg territory to get their O back on the field again. Great start for Ham, awful for Wpg.

EDIT: another major for Ham who throw one to OL-eligible Ryan Bomben. 21-0 Ham, only halfway through Q1.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

31-0 Hamilton at the half. Good news for the Lions.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Is this the same Wpg team that held us to 13pts in their last game, and 6pts in the final 51mins?

At the half, Ham remains in control, adding 10pts on 58yd TD rec from Collaros to Terrence Toliver and a 35yd Medlock FG, for a 31-0 lead. Ham has five sacks on Drew Willy.

2nd down conversions:
Wpg: 5/12 (42%)
Ham: 7/11 (64%)

As Dunigan suggests Willy will likely be pulled from this gong show for backup Brian Brohm to start the 2nd half.

EDIT: TSN already mentioned during the 1st half that Wpg RB Paris Cotton was done for the day with injury and now add that his teammate, receiver Darvin Adams will also miss the balance of the game in sick bay. Nick Moore did not dress and sits out a second game in a row. Willy has remained in the game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Wpg finally on the board with a Justin Veltung TD rec from Willy. Convert and a rouge on the ensuing kickoff makes it 31-8 Ham.

EDIT: Collaros gives Wpg further life by tossing a pick to Johnny Adams near midfield on his 2nd throw of the half but they are unable to cash it in going 2 & out. Brandon Banks takes the ensuing punt 104yds to the house but luckily for Wpg it gets called back on illegal block all the way to the Ham 5YL.
Last edited by sj-roc on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

A 2nd pick from Collaros. Wpg needs another score off this one to have any hope of coming back but again they fail to get any points.
aklawitter
All Star

good job o'shea, way to take your qb out of the game in a blowout

oh wait no you didn't, and now he's hurt
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Game delayed with 8 seconds left in Q3 as Drew Willy sits on the turf with a suspected knee injury. May be done for the day considering how long he's been down. Finally helped off the field by trainers, putting little weight on the right knee.

Q3 ends with Ham continuing to lead 31-8.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:good job o'shea, way to take your qb out of the game in a blowout

oh wait no you didn't, and now he's hurt
Yep def questionable to leave him in like that. Brohm enters. Considering Collaros was just sacked, Austin could also be pulling his starter for the day and let backup Jeff Mathews get some reps.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:31-0 Hamilton at the half. Good news for the Lions.
A Ham win puts all top three eastern teams at 4-2 with eight points and makes the crossover less likely, but also puts us 3rd in the west as Wpg drops below us to 3-4. More preferable I suppose than having Wpg win and stay above us even if it keeps Ham at 6pts and 3rd in the east. Either way we need to keep winning to stay in the playoff picture.

Now it's Marve's turn to throw a pick six to Emanuel Davis who had one off Willy on his first series. 38-8 Ham with 80sec left, which holds up as the final score.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I wondered if they going to take out Collaros and my sense is that the comment made by Rod Black from the Cats DC that they are keeping up the intensity this year as they've lost two GC games and players are on each other even in practice. Neither the OFF nor DEF gave the Bombers a break so Austin must not have been happy to get 31 pts first half but no more.

That is a very well coached football team and they keep bringing in good talent. Austin said he brought in Ryan Bomben thinking of him on the very play he scored on today.

I heard Black say that after their last home game Collaros near midnite was still playing football at Tim Hortons with the OC's kids.

http://t.co/BPWgMtDwaF

++

Wow do they get this stuff up fast. Not sure if it'd be this fast if a loss but there's Austin, Collaros quickly on camera so if you were at the game by the time u get home you've got the story and this stuff. LU is great but the Province doesn't have something like this for him with clearly someone doing the web site BUT then again I suspect it detracts from folks buying the papers.

http://3downnation.com/2015/08/09/ten-p ... n-bombers/

This next game for BC had better be the Cats playing flat like in this second half. I got only the 2nd half as it would been a 5:30 am start time.

Love the CFL TSN broadcasts and panels but honestly feel that the TSN while better this year has really gone down hill. I never know whether the videos will load or like The Reporters (video not available in my country). Annoys me as I - at home - continue to pay for TSN etc.

I know they want it friendly for personal devices but this outfits who let their website folks ruin a good thing shocks me. I wanted another look at Nic Demski's 93 yard TD from the Riders game but you think you can find that there? I couldn't.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
dupsdell1
Champion

I think the lions better be ready against Hamilton this weekend or it is going to be along night.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TSN.ca is practically a last resort for me if I'm looking for CFL-related video content. Better off checking youtube, or the league's own website, which has a highlight package video for every game. If you know exactly what game you want just go to the schedule page and the video will have a link right next to where said game is listed.

You can see Demski's return in that game's highlight video here, starting around the 2:53 mark. Looks like he could have got stuffed early as he ran into a pile of bodies near his own 20 but he bounces it outside and scrambles for over 70 more yards.

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/114219

I thought perhaps that return might have its own video on cfl.ca; they often do this with some of the bigger/better plays but this one didn't make the cut (yet at least), probably because it didn't end in a TD which would have helped in that regard.