Official Sochi Olympics - Backes brings home 2 stray dogs

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:With both the men and the women winning gold in curling, I guess there's no controversy as to whether Team Martin or Team Howard should have represented the men, and whether Team Homan should have represented the women instead despite winning double Scotties Tournament of Hearts.
I wouldn't have argued over who we sent regardless of the result. We are so deep as a curling nation we prob have ten teams any of which could hold their own at the Olympics. The quality control in deciding who we send means you need sustained performance over several years and have to face a lot of other good Canadian teams to get the nod. It's tough to argue with whoever survives this battle. At the qualifier in December Jacobs went undefeated wire-to-wire against a field that featured no shortage of hardware in their trophy cases. Howard, Stoughton, Martin and Koe among them have won 12 Briers and 8 World Championships (I could add Morris's but all of his were as Martin's third before they parted ways last April).

It should also be noted that Homan as defending champion got an automatic bye back to the Scotties this year and didn't have to win zone and provincial playdowns as is the case for the rest of the field. She also didn't have to compete against Jones who was on the Olympic track. None of this is to dismiss her laudable accomplishments but she just wasn't as road tested as Jones. She entered the Olympic qualifier and although she finished second in the round robin her record was a middling 4-3, including a 7-6 loss to first-place Jones. She lost her semi-final to Sherry Middaugh and didn't even get to face Jones again in the final that of course Jones won. As for Martin and Howard they didn't even win their provincial playdowns this season so neither of them will even be at the Brier next month. They've had outstanding runs but both will be past 50 (Howard already is) for the next Olympic cycle. I'll never say never but chances are we've already seen the last of their Olympic bids.

In some respects being so deep can be a disadvantage. Other countries where one team is head and shoulders above the rest often send this team several times over to one international tournament after another and this lets them build up experience against the rest of the world that would be handy to draw on at the Olympics. More often when Canada faces the world we end up sending a different team from one to the next so they will be one of the least experienced internationally among the contenders.
I suppose two good aspects about curling is that there's little controversy with regards to officiating and doping like other sports and as such, the winners won it fair and square. While there hasn't been a medalist who has been stripped in these games because of doping (yet) there have been a few athletes who have been punished. But it looks like in curling, doping wouldn't help at all for performance. And there's little controversy about officiating with the odd case being whose rock is closer to the button or the replacement location of a burned stone. With all the etiquette in curling I guess the only challenge is when Team Norway tested the dress code with their fancy pants which didn't help them anyways. Will they attempt to wear shorts next time?

-----------------------------

Bronze medal match - unlike the Swiss women who were so ecstatic in winning the bronze the I can't imagine the American or Finnish men taking any consolation in winning the bronze. They might as well donate them to Team Switzerland or Team Latvia as a reward for getting so far and I'm sure will take a lot more joy in getting them. And the silver medalists might as well do the same thing too.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here’s Reuters’ take on Canada’s ski cross success:

Marielle Thompson led compatriot Kelsey Serwa to a Canadian one-two in the women’s freestyle skiing cross final at the Sochi Olympics on Friday.

The 21-year-old gold medal favourite got off to her usual explosive start and led for almost the entire race with Serwa tucked in behind her. A third one-two in a freestyle skiing event at the Sochi Games ensured Canada would top the medals table in the sport, ahead of the United States, with four of the 10 golds.

Anna Holmlund of Sweden was assured of the bronze when the fourth finalist, Ophelie David of France, lost control about a third of the way down the course and crashed out. It was a second Olympic disappointment for multiple World Cup champion David as the 27-year-old crashed out in the quarter-finals on the event’s debut in Vancouver.

Serwa also failed to justify her favourites tag in Vancouver four years ago and set out as if on a mission on Friday by setting the top time in the seedings run ahead of David and Thompson. The seeding runs were interrupted for 10 minutes when fog and rain restricted visibility but the skies had cleared in time for the start of the knockout heats.

As usual in a sport that is known for bumps and spills there were plenty of crashes. German Anna Woerner was taken off the course on a stretcher after a violent fall during the quarter-finals, her left leg appearing to give way on impact as she hit the icy landing slope. Chile’s Stephanie Joffroy also needed a stretcher to get off the slope after falling in the next quarter-final but a wave as she went past the crowd indicated she was not too badly hurt.

Safety concerns were high after Russian free skier Maria Komissarova fractured a vertebra and dislocated her spine during practice on the same course at the Extreme Park last week.

There were few surprises in the heats apart from Swiss world champion Fanny Smith failing to progress after losing control while leading her semi-final.

Thompson stormed through the knockout rounds winning her three races by significant margins and she quickly raced clear of the field in the medal decider. Her gliding skills and long but stable jumps make her a formidable opponent even in the rough and tumble of the pack and skiing out front she never looked like being caught.
An awesome spectator event. Ski Cross. Amazing stuff.

Gotta love those lumberjack shirts. Yee Haw

"Well I'm a lumberjack ... " "cutting down trees in British Columbia" LOL

Thompson so relaxed as always. Little Serwa somewhat more tense, but what a tough cookie.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OMG ... So funny ...

The British humour.

Want a laugh? Read the running blog in the Guardian.

They rip everybody, but mostly themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/f ... ay-14-live
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I suppose two good aspects about curling is that there's little controversy with regards to officiating...
I've posted before about this rare, notorious example, having watched it live when it happened in the 2002 Brier but this is the first written account I've found of it online:

http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php?pla ... cleid=1185
Quebec loses controversial game

Mar 9, 2002 -- CALGARY (CP) -- It was a day Quebec skip Francois Roberge would rather forget... [with] a controversial 10-9 loss to Manitoba in a game that featured a botched measurement...
"We were robbed," Roberge said about the loss to Manitoba. "We're supposed to be 1-1 but we're not."
Even Hollywood couldn't have written a script as bizarre as the one played by Quebec and Manitoba during the afternoon draw.

After trailing 5-1, Roberge battled back to force an extra end. On his last stone, Lukowich missed on a takeout and removed his own rock, forcing a measurement that would determine the winner.

When the umpire went to do the measuring, he inadvertently moved the Manitoba rock. Stunned, the Quebec rink pointed at the replay on the overhead screen.

After several minutes of conferring, officials decided the only option was to replay the end, resulting in Lukowich making a last-shot takeout for the victory.

Roberge, making his second Brier appearance in three years, admitted he felt cheated by the decision but didn't say whether he was angry at the Manitoba rink or officials.

"It was an incredible call," he said. "I've never seen that before. We're going to have to live with that."

Lukowich admitted it wasn't the way he wanted to win his first Brier game.

"There was a mistake by the official and he played it by the rules," said the City of Winnipeg transit manager. "He told us what the rule was and we just played it by the rule.

"We were just standing up for ourselves with the rules. We're not going to turtle and go away."

Neil Houston, an official with the Canadian Curling Association, explained the device used to measure the rocks had been assembled improperly by CCA staff.

A spring-loaded lever had been put on the device backward. Instead of pushing back when touching the rock, the lever remained firm, causing the stone to move.

"They just slid it on backwards," said Houston. "It looks the same, it's just the lever moves the wrong way."

The decision to replay the end was the correct one, Houston said.

"That's the rule, there's nothing else you can do."
In rec curling, there's usually no officiating and players (specifically, the thirds from each team) do the measurement themselves. As a skip I usually tell my third whenever there's a measurement to check the lever before putting it up to the stones. LOL
... and doping...
Well.. there was this guy who failed a drug test and was banned from curling for two years, although it wasn't a performance-enhancing drug he was busted for.
But it looks like in curling, doping wouldn't help at all for performance.
Disagree. It would definitely help with sweeping to drag the rock much farther than otherwise possible and it would also help in delivering upweight shots to pull off, say, a flat double across the house. You can tell it would make a difference just on the basis that there are upweight shots in the men's game that you don't see as much on the women's side. Brad Jacobs's lead and second, brothers Ryan and EJ Harnden, who sweep their team's last four stones each end, are notorious in curling circles for their gym regimens and you sometimes hear playful banter in social media about their urine tests. But from all accounts they're both clean as a whistle and there's never been any reason to believe otherwise. If you saw the Jacobs team win their gold today you might have noticed them sweep Brad's last stone in the fourth end from start to finish and were huffing and puffing afterward. For the weight Jacobs put on that stone, there's no way less-conditioned rec curlers could have dragged it as far as they did, into a position where they ended up stealing a point.
And there's little controversy about officiating with the odd case being whose rock is closer to the button or the replacement location of a burned stone.
See above. Measurements usually go off without a hitch since the lever would have to be mounted on the stick backwards to mess it up like this. The 2002 incident is the only botched measurement I've ever heard of. Officials probably first check the lever now ever since this happened. Or at least they should!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Canada defeats the USA in men's hockey, 1-0. On to the Gold Medal game. :thup:

Defensive hockey. All the teams played that way against us. Teams must have opened it up against the USA, and that was a mistake.
Caught bits of it while out for DimSum @ the PinkPearl with a co-worker today. Missed the third period of the game.....

Can't see myself getting up @ 4 A.M. Sunday to see the Gold medal game.... Oh well.......
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Canada defeats the USA in men's hockey, 1-0. On to the Gold Medal game. :thup:

Defensive hockey. All the teams played that way against us. Teams must have opened it up against the USA, and that was a mistake.
Caught bits of it while out for DimSum @ the PinkPearl with a co-worker today. Missed the third period of the game.....

Can't see myself getting up @ 4 A.M. Sunday to see the Gold medal game.... Oh well.......

That's what PVRs are for. I'll probably be up about 7 to watch it before going out hiking for the day (weather permitting). Then I can fast-forward through the ads and the buffoon that CBC insisted on bringing along with them. As long as my neighbours don't wake me up early cheering.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bars will be opened but unfortunately you can't get anything stronger than coffee.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:

Good place for Dim Sum. I'll definitely watch the Gold medal game live but undecided whether to get up or just stay up.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Bronze medal match - unlike the Swiss women who were so ecstatic in winning the bronze the I can't imagine the American or Finnish men taking any consolation in winning the bronze. They might as well donate them to Team Switzerland or Team Latvia as a reward for getting so far and I'm sure will take a lot more joy in getting them. And the silver medalists might as well do the same thing too.
Using Teemu Selanne as the best representative for Team Finland in recent Olympic history, he now has four Olympic medals - 3 bronze and 1 silver. But I wonder if he's willing to trade all four medals for one single gold medal. And I wonder if Team USA will trash their hotel rooms again like they did in 1998 in Nagano.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:And I wonder if Team USA will trash their hotel rooms again like they did in 1998 in Nagano.
No one fessed up to doing the damage.

For culprit I nominate Keith Tkachuk. Jeremy Roenick? I would hate to think that Roenick would do that.

http://extras.denverpost.com/scolumns/paige0421.htm

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Finland wins bronze, blanking USA 5-0.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Finland wins bronze, blanking USA 5-0.
Americans' offence deserted them at the worst possible time, soon as medals were on the line.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Finland wins bronze, blanking USA 5-0.
Americans' offence deserted them at the worst possible time, soon as medals were on the line.
We see this in hockey and other sports.

The Americans have talent. More than Canada? No way. But teams did not respect the American fire power. Teams did respect Canadian fire power. It it was a 7 game series, how likely is it that the US would beat Canada? Very, very unlikely I expect. And we would see something of a breakout of Canadian scoring. We missed tons of chances throughout the tournament. Gripping the sticks a bit tight. Kunitz could have had 3 or 4 goals vs the Americans if he could hit the net.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A sampling of snide British commentary, mostly at their own expense, or, let's say the Scottish.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/f ... ay-14-live
12.56pm GMT
The Guardian’s Owen Gibson in already installed in the Ice Cube, 35 minutes before, um, stone-off of the men’s curling final.

Owen Gibson @owen_g
Follow
The ice sheet of, er, destiny. #GCamSochi
4:42 AM - 21 Feb 2014

1.10pm GMT
The latest from the Guardian’s Owen Gibson in the Ice Cube, and I’m not sure he’s taking this curling final seriously enough.

Owen Gibson @owen_g
Follow
The Team GB curling uniforms make them look as though they're off to a provincial disco - smart shoes and trousers twinned with sportswear.
5:08 AM - 21 Feb 2014

Owen Gibson @owen_g
Follow
The Canadian "buff boys", meanwhile, are wearing their extra tight tops. GB coach Soren Gran has already criticised their aggressive style.
5:09 AM - 21 Feb 2014

1.52pm GMT
Curling: GB 0 Canada 2
End of the first, erm, end in the curling and Canada have taken a 2-0 lead. Which isn’t great for the Brits, but it could’ve been really bad were it not for a fine shot from David Murdoch. Looking like a 4-0 advantage at one stage.

1.57pm GMT
A saucy frisson at the curling - Britain’s Mike Goodfellow is wearing the wrong shirt - specifically one without his name on the back, and is told to change, which he does, revealing a very well-toned torso. Not just the Canadians that are ‘buff boys’, eh? EH?

2.04pm GMT
Curling: Great Britain 1 Canada 2
Britain pull one back, but were pretty close to levelling things with a decent last shot that didn’t quite curl enough to get the two points.

2.23pm GMT
Curling latest: Great Britain 1-5 Canada
Eesh, this is going really badly for Dave Murdoch and pals, as Canada pick up three to take a 5-1 lead. It would take quite a collapse for them to lose from here, but British sport is defined by its optimism to...oh, it’s no use.

Owen Gibson @owen_g
Follow
A mistake from Murdoch and it's 5-1 to Canada after three ends. This isn't going well...
6:20 AM - 21 Feb 2014

2.36pm GMT
Curling latest: Great Britain 1 Canada 6
Exasperated sighs all round as another shot goes awry, and the Canadians extend their lead when the Brits had a big chance to pick up one, possibly two. Hard to see how this could be going worse for GB, unless they all simultaneously lost their trousers. It is cold in there, after all.

2.52pm GMT
Curling latest: Great Britain 2 Canada 6
Well, that’s one back from GB, but they go into the break after the fifth end 6-2 down. It’s going to take quite a pep talk at half-time to turn this around, but pulling four back in five ends isn’t the most impossible ask in the world, is it? The spirit of Istanbul 2005, Headingley 1981 and Barcelona 1999 is required, though.

3.10pm GMT
Curling latest: Great Britain 2 Canada 8
“Och, Jeez,” says Murdoch as another shot goes askew, as Canada pick up another two, and this is getting embarrassing for the Brits. Only the intervention of Tonya Harding’s boyfriend can save GB now. Still, silver’s decent, eh?

3.23pm GMT
Curling latest: Great Britain 3 Canada 8
Britain pull one back, but an unfathomable rock by Murdoch prevents them from getting two. He only had to rest on a Canadian stone to get two, but it slid out of the house and just the one is scored. This might be the final end.

3.38pm GMT
And that's that...
Canada pick up one in an end that was initially looking quite promising for the Brits, and David Murdoch calls a halt to proceedings after eight ends. They were on the back foot from the start, with Canada taking a 5-1 lead after just three ends, so GB will have to settle for a silver, to go with the bronze for the women.
Thanks for the chuckle, Guys. I recall how rude and snide the British press was about Edmonton during some competition a while back. But they give it to themselves as much as to others.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It was the tight shirts. They looked pretty slick I thought. That old British Victorianism comes out. The margin of victory would have been even bigger I think if we had told them the whole team was gay.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.