Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:That call against the Cowboys was bunk. I don't like the Cowboys but I have to question how many steps does one have to take with the ball before it ceases to be an incomplete rather than a fumble?

He took 3 steps, had the ball under control during those three steps and then reaches for the goal line. If he had been one inch farther and had broke the plane, would the play then have been a touchdown rather than an incomplete? Also, at what point is a player considered down. If you look at the replay, you can clearly see that the players elbow (the one not holding the ball) was in contact with the ground prior to the ball making contact with the turf. Is that not down by contact? As I said, I don't like the Cowboys so I don't have any bitterness about them losing but even I have to think that was a botched call. The rule as it is written could be interpreted in the same way if the receiver had taken 20 steps. It is still part of the continuity of the play if he takes 3, 4, 5 or 30 steps and then loses the ball. Is that then incomplete? I guess it just shows that the rule is way too open to interpretation and that the CFL is not the only league that gets plagued with bad calls from time to time. Isn't the NFL the league that always gets referenced as to how superior the officiating is when there is some controversy in the CFL? Well for 2 weeks in a row, we have seen some bad, bad calls against teams at critical times in games; possible game changing calls so I think that the myth of the NFL being the best officiated league has taken a beating lately.
I don't know. Below is an explanation of the call by Dean Blandino, NFL Head of Officiating. It seems that this call is different from the PI non-call in the Cowboys-Lions game. In the latter, the NFL acknowledged that the call (picking up the flag after PI had been called) was an error; so we know that the NFL will admit to officiating mistakes. The present case is different in that respect, in that Blandino (and also the ex-NFL ref the broadcast crew who was asked about it at the time) is clear that the correct call was made. It all goes back to the Calvin Johnson catch in the end zone several years ago now that was ruled a non-catch for the same reason--the ball has to remain in complete control all through the act of catching, including when the receiver hits the ground. Any movement in the ball from hitting the ground renders it an incompletion. So, I think that yesterday's call was consistent with the rule. Of course, one could argue that the rule and the definition of a catch need changing. Here's Blandino's brief explanation:

Blandino stands by overturning Dez Bryant catch
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2015, 12:36 PM EST

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino says he and referee Gene Steratore made the right call when they overturned an apparent Dez Bryant catch on Sunday.

Blandino said the rules in the NFL are clear about players going to the ground as they make a catch, and the rules were properly applied on Sunday.

“Is Bryant going to the ground to make the catch?” Blandino said on PFT Live. “It’s clear. He’s stumbling. . . . Then we have to look to see, does the ball touch the ground? Which it clearly did, and it came loose after it touched the ground. . . . The last part which was discussed is did he make a football move? . . . Looking at it, he didn’t.”

Blandino said Bryant lunging forward toward the goal line is not the kind of overt act a player needs to make in order to be seen as making a “football move.”

“There’s judgment involved in all of these plays,” Blandino said. “We felt it was indisputable that’s not what Bryant did. He was just trying to gain control of it.”

Blandino did acknowledge one mistake that was made in conjunction with the play: Time should have been added to the clock after the replay review.

“There should have been time back on the clock because by rule when the pass is incomplete it stops the clock and some time did go off the clock before coach McCarthy challenged it,” Blandino said.

Although Blandino thinks it’s possible that the NFL will change its rules with respect to what constitutes a catch, he said the league worries about “unintended consequences” to reacting to one specific play. And so the NFL’s complex rules about catching a football may not be changing any time soon.

Edit: Here's a piece on that play that I ran across from Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback (it's the second story in the piece):

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/12/nfl-playo ... etirement/

Bottom line: The rule was enforced correctly, but there's lots to dislike about the rule.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major housecleaning in Denver. (Courtesy of Pro Football Talk) Fox is out, along with maybe all the other coaches. Not to mention three receivers who will go to free agency this offseason and may sign elsewhere--the two Thomases and Wes Welker. It seems that there was the same friction between Fox and GM John Elway that we saw between Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh in SF.

Report: Broncos let entire coaching staff go

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2015, 6:08 PM EST

Well, that escalated quickly.

According to Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver, the “mutual parting” between the Broncos and coach John Fox has been chased by the release of the entire coaching staff.

It was believed that defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was in trouble. Instead, everyone is gone.

That includes offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who currently is under consideration for multiple head-coaching jobs elsewhere. So if the Broncos, who know Gase better than anyone, have just fired him, why would anyone else hire him to be the head coach?

For quarterback Peyton Manning, the development points to an inevitable mutual parting, too. Peyton despises change and craves continuity. Unless he has a hand-picked alternative to Fox and Gase whom the Broncos will hire, it’s hard to imagine Peyton wanting to return.

UPDATE 6:10 p.m. ET: Per multiple other reports, all assistant coaches are under contract but free to look elsewhere. Which is a nice way of saying, “Pack up and hit the road.”
Last edited by South Pender on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Team Captain

Sad reality of the day:

Including today's College Football Playoff National Championship, there are only 4 football games left - of any stripes.

Hard to believe we've been going since late June and now it's down only 4 games. :bawl:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Sad reality of the day:

Including today's College Football Playoff National Championship, there are only 4 football games left - of any stripes.

Hard to believe we've been going since late June and now it's down only 4 games. :bawl:

There's counseling available....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Arena football over ? :wink:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Sad reality of the day:

I hear you David. Already went through Sunday night withdrawals. Horrible time of year for sports on the horizon. Especially when NHL regular season games do little for me.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I always look forward to the Senior Bowl (Jan. 24) and East-West Shrine Game (Jan. 17), especially since the latter has a couple of CFL draft prospects, defensive lineman Darryl Waud of Western and receiver Addison Richards of Regina.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: I don't know. Below is an explanation of the call by Dean Blandino, NFL Head of Officiating. It seems that this call is different from the PI non-call in the Cowboys-Lions game. In the latter, the NFL acknowledged that the call (picking up the flag after PI had been called) was an error; so we know that the NFL will admit to officiating mistakes. The present case is different in that respect, in that Blandino (and also the ex-NFL ref the broadcast crew who was asked about it at the time) is clear that the correct call was made. It all goes back to the Calvin Johnson catch in the end zone several years ago now that was ruled a non-catch for the same reason--the ball has to remain in complete control all through the act of catching, including when the receiver hits the ground. Any movement in the ball from hitting the ground renders it an incompletion. So, I think that yesterday's call was consistent with the rule. Of course, one could argue that the rule and the definition of a catch need changing. Here's Blandino's brief explanation:
I read the explanation and I know he stands by it. I guess the fundamental difference is when you think he had control and transitioned from the act of catching to the act of trying to further the play. I have watched it several times and I am convinced that he had transitioned. The simple fact was that he had the ball in both hands at the time of the catch. He transitioned the ball to one arm, took steps and then clearly was trying to stretch for the goal line. A move that he has been recognized previously for doing. It's all a matter of interpretation but just because the Head of NFL Officiating declined to call it a mistake, doesn't sway a lot of folks. Don't forget the call on the field by the official right there was a catch. There are a lot of past and current NFL'ers who also see it my way. It comes down to Tomato, Tomaato but it has left many calling for the rule to be changed.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I read the explanation and I know he stands by it. I guess the fundamental difference is when you think he had control and transitioned from the act of catching to the act of trying to further the play. I have watched it several times and I am convinced that he had transitioned. The simple fact was that he had the ball in both hands at the time of the catch. He transitioned the ball to one arm, took steps and then clearly was trying to stretch for the goal line. A move that he has been recognized previously for doing. It's all a matter of interpretation but just because the Head of NFL Officiating declined to call it a mistake, doesn't sway a lot of folks. Don't forget the call on the field by the official right there was a catch. There are a lot of past and current NFL'ers who also see it my way. It comes down to Tomato, Tomaato but it has left many calling for the rule to be changed.
That likely would not have been ruled a catch in any level of football in the U.S. or Canada, simply because the ball hit the ground when Bryant came down. I heard Blandino explain the rule on the Dan Patrick show. The NFL actually loosened its rule in 1999 to allow a catch if the ball touches the ground as long as the player maintains control of the ball throughout the play. In this case, Bryant lost control when he and the ball hit the ground. The use of super slow motion HD replays can make it appear that a player has control of the ball for longer than he does. In fact, the process of leaping in the air, grabbing the ball, contacting a defender and falling to the ground is considered one act. If you don't survive contact with an opponent or the ground it's an incomplete pass, as it should be.

If replay reviews were available in the 1994 Grey Cup, Ray Alexander's crucial catch in which the ball clearly hit the ground would likely have been overturned too.
South Pender
Legend

Ran across this interesting piece on how soccer saved the Seahawks in Seattle. Despite being an avid Seahawks fan, I hadn't known about a lot of this. Worth reading by Seahawks fans:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... e-seahawks

Several interesting facts in that story. First, that Paul Allen, who is worth gazillions, would buy the team from (the thoroughly despised) Ken Behring only if public money became available to build a new stadium--to the tune of $300M. Second, that Allen insisted on a statewide referendum (which he bankrolled) on this expenditure, which passed by a very narrow margin--51% to 49%. Including the soccer demographic (which, according to this story, hardly overlaps with the football demographic at all) got the stadium referendum passed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this piece of twaddle from Ray Lewis about Tom Brady (courtesy of Pro Football Talk). I knew Lewis was a punk, but it's clear from this example of verbal diarrhea that he's really stupid as well.

Ray Lewis: We only know who Tom Brady is because of the tuck rule
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 14, 2015, 2:15 PM EST

Ray Lewis believes the tuck rule is the only reason any of us knows who Tom Brady is.

Lewis told Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio that the Patriots getting the benefit of the infamous rule when Brady appeared to fumble in his first playoff start against the Raiders in January of 2002 is the reason he has a career today.

“When we — the first time we created something called a tuck rule, it’s the only reason we know — I’m just being honest — the only reason we know who Tom Brady is, because of a tuck rule,” Lewis said, via CBS Boston. “There’s no such thing as a tuck rule! If the ball is in your hand, and I knock it out your hand, whether it’s going backwards, forwards, lateral, sideways, however it’s coming out, that’s a freaking fumble! But guess what we created? We created a freaking tuck rule!”

Lewis noted that if the Patriots had lost that game to the Raiders, they wouldn’t have made it to the AFC Championship Game that year.

“They don’t go to that championship game — they don’t go to that championship game if that tuck rule, if that ball is not called a tuck! That’s a fumble!” Lewis said. “Charles Woodson made that man clearly fumble the ball and they named it the tuck rule, something that we’ve never heard in today’s game. So now you’ve got to ask yourself: When did the legacy really start?”

Well, yes, you could argue that Brady’s legacy really started with that tuck rule game. But even if you think that should have been a fumble, and that the Patriots should have been eliminated before Brady’s first Super Bowl, is that really the only reason we’ve heard of Tom Brady?

The tuck rule didn’t help the Patriots win the other two Super Bowls of Brady’s tenure as their starting quarterback. The tuck rule didn’t win Brady two regular-season MVP awards. The tuck rule didn’t make Brady lead the league in passing touchdowns three times or lead the league in passer rating and passing yards two other times. The tuck rule didn’t get Brady to nine Pro Bowls. Wouldn’t we have heard of Brady because of all those achievements, even if he hadn’t benefited from the tuck rule?

So it’s true that Brady’s reputation was built early in his career largely on the two postseason games the Patriots won after they beat the Raiders thanks to the tuck rule. But it’s ridiculous to suggest that the tuck rule is the only (or even the main) reason we know who Brady is. The tuck rule was 13 years ago. Brady has done pretty well for himself since then.
aklawitter
All Star

we wouldn't know who ray lewis was if he didn't toss his white tux in a dumpster
South Pender
Legend

aklawitter wrote:we wouldn't know who ray lewis was if he didn't toss his white tux in a dumpster
LOL. Excellent, aklawitter! :wink:

And just to complete the Ray Lewis story, here's Tom Brady's response. It's the right response, showing some class (which Lewis completely lacks) and acknowledging Lewis's abilities on the field.

Tom Brady on Ray Lewis: Everyone has an opinion
Posted by Josh Alper on January 15, 2015, 1:47 PM EST

While discussing his distaste for “man-made lawyer” rules in the NFL this week, former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis made a provocative statement about Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Lewis said that “the only reason” we know Brady is because of the tuck rule, which overturned a fumble in a snowy 2002 playoff game between the Patriots and Raiders. The Patriots went on to win that game and won the first of their three Super Bowls with Brady at the helm.

The fact that they won two more Super Bowls after that season would seem to damage Lewis’s assertion about Brady’s legacy, which may be why Brady avoided a war of words with Lewis when he was asked about the comments on Thursday.

“Everyone has an opinion,” Brady said, via WEEI.com. “I think Ray is a great player. He’s a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I was fortunate enough to play against him.”

Lewis’s larger point about convoluted NFL rules such as the now-abolished tuck rule and the “process” of making a catch has a great deal of validity. Stretching it to suggest Brady’s status in the NFL is solely because of one ruling on one play in a long, successful career is a lot harder to get behind.

Not that the Ray Lewis blurt was of any importance. It just seemed like a slow day....
South Pender
Legend

NFL Conference Championship Games - Previews and Odds

Sunday, Jan. 18:

1. 12:05 p.m. PST: Packers at Seahawks: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501180 ... ab=preview; Odds: Seahawks by 7.5

2. 3:40 p.m. PST: Colts at Patriots: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501180 ... ab=preview; Patriots by 6.5
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

John Fox wasn't out of a job for long. He is now the head honcho of the Chicago Bears. Good luck dealing with Jay Cutler
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:2. 3:40 p.m. PST: Colts at Patriots: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501180 ... ab=preview; Patriots by 6.5
The Year of the Goat will not start until February 19, 2015 so it's still the Year of the Horse. The Year of the Horse did not help out the Denver Broncos, but it did help out the Calgary Stampeders. So for the tiebreaker on Lunar superstitions, let's see if the Year of the Horse will help the third and remaining horse football team - the Colts.
South Pender wrote: 1. 12:05 p.m. PST: Packers at Seahawks: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501180 ... ab=preview; Odds: Seahawks by 7.5
Let's see if great defense really wins games (again) in that the best defensive team will beat the best offensive team just like in Super Bowl XLVIII. Again this season the Seahawks boast the best defensive team with the lowest PA of 254 while this season the Green Bay Packers can boast the best offensive team with the highest PF of 486. Speaking of the city of Green Bay, I praise and commend the small market city with a population of 105,000 to support an NFL team despite skyrocketing players salaries and other high expenses required to manage an NFL team all while being community-owned. :thup:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Unreal. But that is Russell Wilson for you. All Pro in the final minutes. No quit. All courage.

Tough one for Aaron Rodgers. Also All Pro.

Three ST killers ... Fake FG, onside kick, two point convert. Ouch.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.