Jim Popp once again on the NFL's radar

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not a surprise.

I have not catalogued his decisions over the years, but my impression is one of a very good GM.

He blew it with Dan Hawkins.

But he hit home runs with Don Matthews, Marc Trestman and countless astute personnel moves. He has given the Alouettes amazing stability.

If he goes, he will be missed.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The NFL have come calling in the past. Will this finally be the time ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The NFL have come calling in the past. Will this finally be the time ?
Hope so! Don't hate him, but the AL's have been humming along just fine with him in charge....would be nice to see how he does in the NFL.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The NFL have come calling in the past. Will this finally be the time ?
Hope so! Don't hate him, but the AL's have been humming along just fine with him in charge....would be nice to see how he does in the NFL.....
It seems a bit strange that is all happening so late with a lot of stuff up in the air in MTL. Not sure of his situation with the Als as I thought it odd (might be zero to it) that he seemed to be far too the right during the AC retirement with the other team folks more seated near AC. Might be nothing.

If the Als have to hire a GM and HC now - wow is all I can say is their A/GM who would have taken over is in Ottawa and they're not about to let him go back to MTL at this stage of the preseason.

It might be a very minor thing - some team asking - and nothing more to it but it is odd.

Note how his Exec. Assist't lives in North Carolina. Odd for that especially as you have to show immigration that a qualified Canadian could not do that job. I like the job Popp has done as that franchise has had great stability in some bad years and with the new Ottawa franchise and an uncertain Bombers and Esks as yet - the CFL doesn't need more uncertainty in teams. I 'm assuming that the Esks and Bombers will be very improved and the CFL will be stronger hopefully but Lion fans have to see the downside to BC potentially if they aren't performing great as there is no more Kavis Reed speeches putting his team into an hypnotic pre-game state this coming year.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
274always
All Star

Jim's not going anywhere this year. He confirmed it.

Next year might be another story......he's into the last year of his contract
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.