Chappy to the mountain

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

http://jimmullinnow.blogspot.ca/2014/01 ... ected.html

Unless Chapdelaine gets snakey or Concordia backs up a Brinks truck to his Abbotsford home, this is a done deal.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

SFU plays by american rules, IIRC....

Hope the hand signals go well........
South Pender
Legend

Good on ya, Chaps! Glad he was offered this job. I think he'll do well at it. Nota, you're right; SFU plays in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, which is all US schools except for SFU. Smaller colleges like Central Washington University (wait a minute; isn't that where Jon Kitna played?).
Last edited by South Pender on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope the SFU gig works out for Chaps as I am sure his family would like to stay in the lower Mainland and not have to move anywhere.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Good on him. I don't think, I know he'll do great there. This is what he's best suited for, and I wish him all the best.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well done, Jacques. :thup:
Jacques was the head coach of the Université Laval Rouge et Or from 1997 to 2000, winning the first Vanier Cup in school history in 1999. - Wikipedia
Great success as a college coach. As many have noted, including myself, he may just be better suited to the college gig. Or he may be better suited to being a Head Coach than an assistant. And he was very successful as an assistant as well. Some hiccups along the way, but that is true for most.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wish him well but I'm sorry to see him go to a team that plays American rules after 30 years in the Canadian game. His multiformational offences, with their wide range of movement, were the most sophisticated in the CFL. Going back to SFU will be like going back in time to a much simpler era.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Well done, Jacques. :thup:
Jacques was the head coach of the Université Laval Rouge et Or from 1997 to 2000, winning the first Vanier Cup in school history in 1999. - Wikipedia
Great success as a college coach. As many have noted, including myself, he may just be better suited to the college gig. Or he may be better suited to being a Head Coach than an assistant. And he was very successful as an assistant as well. Some hiccups along the way, but that is true for most.
I think socially, he's a nice person. I've never played for him as a football player. The players that seem to be talking about him seem to have nice things to say. Glen Suitor be a guest coach for Chaps training camp...?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I found the part of JC being seen in an Edtmn airport with Danny M to be the most intriguing part of this story.

I didn't know that history.

Good for JC if it works out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How much does a head coach make in the CIS ?
Hawkballer 14
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:How much does a head coach make in the CIS ?
Somewhere in the $85-100K range.

I bet Jacques could get more due to his resume (CFL co-ordinator, CIS head coach, Grey Cup x 2, Vanier Cup). And the fact that SFU Football needs some good publicity in the local recruiting battle (losing to UBC, as of late).
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

There's about half a dozen making more than 100k
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I wish him well but I'm sorry to see him go to a team that plays American rules after 30 years in the Canadian game. His multiformational offences, with their wide range of movement, were the most sophisticated in the CFL. Going back to SFU will be like going back in time to a much simpler era.
Two of Chaps strengths were his multi-formations and his use of motion - especially his use of motion- which will be restricted by American rules but Chap had excellent success as a colllege coach and hopefully will do well again.

Congrats and I wish Chap all the best.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I wish him well but I'm sorry to see him go to a team that plays American rules after 30 years in the Canadian game. His multiformational offences, with their wide range of movement, were the most sophisticated in the CFL. Going back to SFU will be like going back in time to a much simpler era.
Two of Chaps strengths were his multi-formations and his use of motion - especially his use of motion- which will be restricted by American rules but Chap had excellent success as a colllege coach and hopefully will do well again.

Congrats and I wish Chap all the best.
Chaps largest fault was his stubbornest, he lived by it and it cost him. He was reluctant to adapt to his players, always pointing out the execution as the root of the problems. Until he varied things a little and had an RB that could create his own space, Chap's plays didn't run very effectively for very long. Being in the US system which is more conservative and less likely to make change to adapt, should be his calling. Besides he is always close enough to consult for any woes the Lions OC may encounter..... :shock:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

[quote="Rammer"
in the US system which is more conservative and less likely to make change to adapt, should be his calling. Besides he is always close enough to consult for any woes the Lions OC may encounter..... :shock:[/quote]

Let's not go there