Lions 36 - Alouettes 14 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. NEISWANDER 10/15 110 2 2
T. MARSH 9/17 76 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
D. CARTER 5 42 0 14
S. GREEN 4 36 1 15
A. BRUCE 3 37 0 28
J. MESSAM 3 11 0 9
B. LONDON 2 41 1 35
E. DESLAURIERS 1 13 0 13
P. LAVOIE 1 6 0 6

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 9 51 0 13
A. BRUCE 2 8 0 7
T. SMITH 1 1 0 1
T. MARSH 1 0 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. MESSAM 1 1 0 0
M. EDEM 0 0 1 0
M. BROUILLETTE 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

Punting NO AVG NET LG
S. WHYTE 8 39.6 308 46

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. CARRIER 2 13 6.5 13 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
S. WHYTE 4 239 61 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. CARRIER 4 79 19.8 28 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
M. EDEM 7 0 1 0
C. COX 5 1 0 0
J. BROWN 4 0 1 0
S. EMRY 4 0 0 1
M. BROUILLETTE 4 0 0 0
E. GAINEY 3 0 0 0
A. LAVARIAS 2 1 0 0
M. HOPKINS 2 0 0 0
G. TISDALE 1 0 1 0
M. CARTER 1 0 0 0
J. MESSAM 1 0 0 0
J. BOURKE 1 0 0 0
B. PARKER 1 0 0 0
J. WOODS 1 0 0 0
S. PAXSON 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 19/28 197 1 3
T. DEMARCO 4/5 47 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
E. ARCENEAUX 6 16 0 9
C. TAYLOR 5 117 0 58
A. HARRIS 4 25 0 19
S. GORE 3 36 1 14
N. MOORE 3 25 0 10
M. IANNUZZI 1 14 1 14
S. HAIDARA 1 11 0 11

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 13 68 1 15
T. DEMARCO 3 13 0 11
T. LULAY 2 20 1 14

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. HARRIS 1 1 0 0
T. LULAY 1 1 0 0
C. PARKS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 2/2 43 4/4 10

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 4 43.8 162 52

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 3 9 3.0 7 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 5 286 65 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 4 122 30.5 47 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. BIGHILL 7 0 1 0
D. MARSH 4 0 1 0
J. BELL 4 0 0 0
A. MCKENZIE 4 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 3 1 0 0
E. TAYLOR 3 0 0 0
C. PARKS 3 0 0 0
J. REID 2 2 0 0
K. SMITH 2 0 0 0
C. WILSON 1 1 0 0
S. GORE 1 0 0 0
T. LULAY 1 0 0 0
E. ARCENEAUX 1 0 0 0
K. BANKS 1 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 1 0 0 0
C. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
A. HARRIS 1 0 0 0
L. SHELL 1 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 0 0 0 1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions - Alouettes Post Game Stats and Comments

We made adjustments. Nice.

As I have said, JC can do the game plan. It is whether he wants to include certain stuff.

We had good anti blitz prep this game. Well done, JC. :thup:

Lulay was able to handle the pressure. But he didn't keep control of the ball the way he has been doing.

I do love the way Montreal plays defence.

Players made mistakes. Players made good plays.

We did pressure the rookie QBs. :thup:

We did run the ball with Harris. :thup:

O Line good work.

And we got Harris the ball. 1st half: 7/48, 4/25. 13/68 for the game.

C Taylor. :thup:

Tim Brown. Dangerous and effective all game. :thup:

Good anti blitz.

Bighill, Reid, Wilson, Williams and Marsh on D. :thup:

Good for DeMarco. I've been rooting for him, not writing him off. :thup:

Another guy I've been rooting for: Iannuzzi. :thup:

And our O Line. I thought they played hard and well. Was that holding on Valli actually on Kabongo? LOL Poor Dean.

Best news: Anti Blitz Prep.

Worst news: That looks like a bad situation with Lulay's shoulder.

Next best good news: DeMarco makes good.

Ugly win again. We showed some good stuff.

We showed some vulnerability on defence once again.

Pretty good fortitude.

But do we look like a contender? Dunno ... Down to the wire this year to see what we have. Regina, Calgary, over and over.

More later, when I review the tape.
squishy35
Legend

De Marcoooooooooooo!
squishy35
Legend

Ugly game for sure. The lack of any consistency on offence for the past couple of weeks is extremely frustrating to watch. I hope Lulay's injury is rehabbed quickly. Good on DeMarco for stepping it up on his first possession.
South Pender
Legend

Oh, jeez. Nice to get the win, but how bad is Lulay's shoulder? Genius (in hindsight) for Wally to get Buck back. DeMarco looked fine, but way too little play to know how he'll do in a full game.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Weird game, IMO, in so many ways......

Big goof up on the game day crew near the end of the first quarter. They saw 0:00 and thought "oh the first quarters over, lets do the telusphere thing". NO, a quarter can not end on an accepted penalty. It looked like the officials were about to whistle play in but realized what was going on in the opposite endzone. Just wondering, could the Lions, as the home team, gotten a penalty for holding up the game like that? I mean if its a fan running around its one thing but this was a goof up by the Lions game day staff......

I think we should name our stadium after a bakery because we saw lots of turnovers today. Both teams coughed up balls.

Like the adjustments, sure nice to see the Lions getting sacks/pressures. At one point Marsh was 0-5 for zero yards. Then he completed one, so his stat line then became 1-6 for -2 yards :rotf: Unfortunately he quickly rebounded from there and quickly got some yards in. Neither QB looked good in the stadium but perhaps #2 looked better on TV.

Paris Jacksons name got called twice (okay, not name but number) on those kinds of penalties a guy with his experience just shouldn't be making. Love to see Paris move involved but come on man.....

#59 of the Als was a cheap shot artist, IMO, a few times. Maybe I just saw him being bad but I doubt it. I watched him headbutt one Leo dlineman with an official right there. No call of course. He's also good at the stirring up crap and then flinging the arms out like he's Mr Innocent. Doing his job. One fan near to my seat claimed he saw #59 throw a punch but that was one of those penalties that a Lion got nailed for of course....

DeMarco looked good based on the little time he did get.

I still don't care too much about this result. The Al's are struggling in a weak East division. I want to see the LIons just dominate the Riders. Then I'll believe stuff has been fixed or at least headed in the right direction.
prj
Starter

Good planning, Wally!

Frankly, while I hope for a speedy recovery for Travis, I'm not that worried. Demarco may prove to be a better passer, with a better touch. He will have his share of mistakes to make, but I suspect he thinks the game pretty well. He handled himself nicely today and the O looked efficient under his hand.

Welcome back Chris Wilson! The D did a fine job today. A good defensive effort.

But the grudge match aspect of this silly scheduling (back to back in football is not nice) made the game kinda ugly. It doesn't bode well for the next month, either. Some rather nasty things might be expected.

A welcome victory, coached and played effectively. Nice job Lions.

:beer: :beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great preparation and execution by the Lions. They probably gave too much respect to Montreal's blitz. They ran a lot of east-west plays when the Als weren't blitzing. Emmanuel Arceneaux will probably lose his distinction of having the league's highest yards-per-catch average after picking up just 16 yards on 6 catches. The Lions tried to bring players across the formation but the Als weren't fooled.

The first half was total domination by the Lions. They should have had a bigger halftime lead if not for two fumbles, one on the low snap from Matt Norman and one on the Andrew Harris fumble in scoring position in the final minute.

In the second half, Lulay came out flat, going 1 for 6 with 2 INTs. The INTs were deep jump balls. Both were well defended but sometimes you have to trust your receiver to make a catch or at least knock the ball down. Marco Iannuzzi and Arceneaux both lost the battles, although Arceneax's play was right in front of me and looked like a simultaneous catch.

Courtney Taylor had a strong game, with 5 catches for 117 yards, including the Lions' only big play from scrimmage, a 58-yarder in the second quarter to set up the Lions' first TD by Shawn Gore on the next play.

It was good to see Harris involved, with 93 yards from scrimmage. The toss series worked well and the offensive line pulled well to help block.

Thomas DeMarco showed looked confident, made great decisions and moved the ball well when he came in, throwing his first CFL TD pass to Iannuzzi.

It was good to see recently acquired Jermaine Reid get two sacks and Chris Wilson one. The Lions didn't get a lot of pressure on the Montreal QBs. They just held the ball too long at times.

The defence responded well after having its pride challenged in the losses in Montreal and Hamilton. It's hard to believe Tanner Marsh beat anyone the way he looked today. The Lions capitalized on two interceptions that set up touchdowns, both off Josh Neiswander. Those plays sealed the game.

Tim Brown had a strong return game but the Lions' special teams too far too many penalties and put the offence in a hole when they could have started more drives near midfield.

Overall, it was a sloppy game with far too many turnovers and penalties, but the Lions prepared well and played with intensity and didn't let the Als get anything established offensively until it was too late.

Lulay's shoulder didn't seem too bad, judging frmo what he and Benevides said on the postgame show. Lulay said it just felt funny and he was prepared to stay in the game but Benevides told him he was sitting out. He kept his shoulder pads on and was still innvolved in the offence on the sidelines, so that's a positive sign. Lulay said it was stiff after the game because he had ice on it. He and Benevides said they'll wait and see what it feels like on Sunday.
Upper Bowl
Starter

The game was definitely a bit weird, and also maybe a bit ugly, but aside from the offensive inconsistencies, and utter power outage in the third quarter, I didn't mind. Those turnovers actually made for a more exciting game.

Travis's injury is obviously a concern, especially given the way he played when he came back from it last season.
Definitely impressed by Demarco, but need to see him in crunch time, when the game's still hanging in the balance.

I hope there's not too much nitpicking about the D. They played well, and Chris Wilson answered the skeptics wondering why Wally signed him.

Let's hear it for the special teams! They were featured in the player introductions before the game, and aside from some bad penalties (looking at you Paris!) they played accordingly.

Great to see J. Paul back in Vancouver (for B.C. Football Hall induction) and making his first appearance at the new B.C. Place. Him and the Lions were inseparable for a long time.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Upper Bowl wrote:The game was definitely a bit weird, and also maybe a bit ugly, but aside from the offensive inconsistencies, and utter power outage in the third quarter, I didn't mind. Those turnovers actually made for a more exciting game.

Travis's injury is obviously a concern, especially given the way he played when he came back from it last season.
Definitely impressed by Demarco, but need to see him in crunch time, when the game's still hanging in the balance.

I hope there's not too much nitpicking about the D. They played well, and Chris Wilson answered the skeptics wondering why Wally signed him.

Let's hear it for the special teams! They were featured in the player introductions before the game, and aside from some bad penalties (looking at you Paris!) they played accordingly.

Great to see J. Paul back in Vancouver (for B.C. Football Hall induction) and making his first appearance at the new B.C. Place. Him and the Lions were inseparable for a long time.
I have lots of time for J Paul McConnell as he was fully dedicated to the CFL and football. Liked his wry sense of humour and the friendly digs at baseball - the great game you can't play in the rain'. You don't see today the same in sports media these days where these guys love all sports equally either (exception the Moj) and where there'd be a radio panel post game of radio and print guys (in the late 50s - the papers were in the afternoon so deadlines weren't ASAP post game). The Province then The Vancouver Sun moved to mornings. Today fans too much over criticize sports media and for picky things like errors. I do feel dumping on them for dumb comments is fair game though but not for getting a call wrong.

My only issue with the Lulay injury is what was he thinking. He can't play with the thinking that "If's going to be, it's gotta be me" as that will get him killed and the Lions down their starting QB. Go out of bounds and give Harris another chance to show boat his for me a bit silly new celebration. That should be embarrassing. Goltz got ripped for his and his two were bad too IMO. I think the orchestrated celebrations should be eliminated by teams - not rules. Do all that stuff post game if you have to or maybe have like the rugby tradition both teams face each other and take turns doing their thing to show them other guys they mean business.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Good:

- Lions win

- Andrew Harris involved in the offence instead of making him a blocking

- Improved offensive line play

- Anti blitz

- Thomas DeMarco

- Tim Brown

- Improved defensive line play

The Bad:

- 3 interceptions by Lulay

- injury to Lulay

- inconsistent offence. Left too many points on the field
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Benevides pre game speech

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/89503

Lions won despite the turnovers
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Benevides pre game speech

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/89503

Lions won despite the turnovers
The post game interviews were good too. DeMarco, Lulay, Benny.

And Benny was very emotional at half time. Interesting how important Kabongo has become as an emotional leader.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer