Return of Manny? ... Manny signs with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Odie
Rookie

Looks like a few twitter reports filtering in that manny arsenaux may be considering a return to the CFL.

Any thoughts?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Doesn't mean he'll work cheap or that he'll return to the Lions. Interesting though.
JohnHenry
Champion

The Lions would likely be outbid by another CFL team. Arseneux might be more proven than E. Jackson or N. Moore, but Manny dropped his share too. He hasn't played for several years so there's no saying he can pickup where he left off...or that he wouldn't need half a season to get back to the level he was at...basically he's a journeyman receiver who isn't worth the 6-figure contract another team will probably give him.
David
Team Captain

Actually, NEWS1130 has been hot on this story all week. It seems Manny just "wants to play football" and his first choice is to come back to BC (although he's free to sign with anyone). His agent will be meeting with Wally this weekend at a free agent camp in Las Vegas, but the reports are that "he won't come cheaply"
‏@News1130Sports 9 May #BCLions wil be in the mix for Arceneaux but gm Wally Buono better be ready to cut big cheque.
I would welcome Arceneaux back but not at a really steep price. I don't think the coaches were thrilled with Ernest Jackson's route running or grasp of the playbook last year, but to me he showed tremendous potential and has shown a real commitment to the organization by working out everyday in Surrey for past couple of months. I'd hate to see him lose his job to someone who's leaving his NFL dream kicking and screaming.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I liked Manny's ability from the first time I saw him at the Lions' training camp. Big. Fast enough. He showed he could run after catch. So it was no surprise when he made the team, and it was no surprise when he did well for us.

Now? Different times. Different situation.

Manny and Wally have a good rapport. But that means very little in terms of him signing with us. As his agent says, he will sign for the dollars. I would expect some CFL teams will far outbid Wally for his services.

And I agree that we don't really know what we will be getting on his return. Almost no playing time. How is the fighting spirit? How is the will to win? I don't think he will be like Geroy in his motivation and preparation. But we would take him on, if it came to that.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I guess it will come down to just how much he's asking for and how much would be needed by way of signing bonus.

If the signing bonus is low, then TC would show whether he's worth whatever the given contract turns out to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Arceneaux has been a practise roster player for 3 years...we have NO IDEA if he is the same player. You can practise all you want, but if you don't PLAY you go backwards in your development...I can tell you as a Vikings fan, Arceneaux had ONE decent preseason game...that's it...so to contemplate dishing out big bucks on a guy who is all about MONEY and has a penchant for dropping easy passes, I say a big no.

When you don't have contact for 3 seasons, and then come back into the game, the body doesn't react well, especially at his his age.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
JeerLeader
prospect

I totally agree with you, MexicoLionFan! I would rather give Jackson and Moore the reps than over pay for a guy who hasn't played in a meaningful game in three years.
MexicoLionFan wrote:Arceneaux has been a practise roster player for 3 years...we have NO IDEA if he is the same player. You can practise all you want, but if you don't PLAY you go backwards in your development...I can tell you as a Vikings fan, Arceneaux had ONE decent preseason game...that's it...so to contemplate dishing out big bucks on a guy who is all about MONEY and has a penchant for dropping easy passes, I say a big no.

When you don't have contact for 3 seasons, and then come back into the game, the body doesn't react well, especially at his his age.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JeerLeader wrote:I totally agree with you, MexicoLionFan! I would rather give Jackson and Moore the reps than over pay for a guy who hasn't played in a meaningful game in three years.
MexicoLionFan wrote:Arceneaux has been a practise roster player for 3 years...we have NO IDEA if he is the same player. You can practise all you want, but if you don't PLAY you go backwards in your development...I can tell you as a Vikings fan, Arceneaux had ONE decent preseason game...that's it...so to contemplate dishing out big bucks on a guy who is all about MONEY and has a penchant for dropping easy passes, I say a big no.

Welcome to Lionbackers, JeerLeader.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JeerLeader wrote:I totally agree with you, MexicoLionFan! I would rather give Jackson and Moore the reps than over pay for a guy who hasn't played in a meaningful game in three years.

X3
Players who fail to catch on in the NFL are usually less impressive when they come back to the CFL. Arceneaux was inconsistent when he was here. I would put him ahead of Ernest Jackson on the depth chart but Jackson is fighting for a job already as the No. 3 import receiver on a team that may start only two imports.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A lot of other teams have less depth and more need at WR than the Lions, so don't over pay but don't expect him to become a Lion.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm trying to think of any REC who did what he did and who has returned better for the NFL experience. Money might be the issue but if he earned decent $$$ (not sure what he was getting down there) maybe to play in BC he'd come cheaper. He did drop some and he hasn't played. Some risk if the money were too high.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:I'm trying to think of any REC who did what he did and who has returned better for the NFL experience. Money might be the issue but if he earned decent $$$ (not sure what he was getting down there) maybe to play in BC he'd come cheaper. He did drop some and he hasn't played. Some risk if the money were too high.
I agree with this post.

signed
Mervyn Fernandez
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I'm trying to think of any REC who did what he did and who has returned better for the NFL experience. Money might be the issue but if he earned decent $$$ (not sure what he was getting down there) maybe to play in BC he'd come cheaper. He did drop some and he hasn't played. Some risk if the money were too high.
I agree with this post.

signed
Mervyn Fernandez
Mervyn, did you forget that after a 5 year career as a BC Lion, you where a Raider for 7 years and for a time lead the NFL in YAC.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Frankly I'm not as enamoured with Arceneaux as others, saw too many dropped passes for my liking.