Lulay's Streak Intact

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

The CFL has decided to allow Lulay's streak (games with at least one TD) to continue. Evidently, a minor break with CFL tradition, but consistent with record-keeping in the NFL. If he doesn't take a snap, the game doesn't count. If he does take at least one snap, the game counts. Probably not a reason to hold him out of the Calgary game if he's good to go.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to hear.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I have a bit of a problem with a player being on the game day roster, dressed, and just because the coach never uses him he can keep a streak going. However, if this was hockey I would not snap a consecutive shut out streak just because the goal tender is given a regular night off. So I can accept the decision either way. I just hope that whatever the CFL has decided it is in keeping with the proper protocol for such record keeping, and not an exception because the Lulay streak makes for good press. I don't want to see Lulay break the record only to have an asterisk beside it.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:The CFL has decided to allow Lulay's streak (games with at least one TD) to continue. Evidently, a minor break with CFL tradition, but consistent with record-keeping in the NFL. If he doesn't take a snap, the game doesn't count. If he does take at least one snap, the game counts. Probably not a reason to hold him out of the Calgary game if he's good to go.
I happy with the decision. I like these types of records being chased. They are just another piece of the puzzle as to WHY a person watches/attends CFL games.

I don't think it hurts that two ex-team-mates (Drew Brees & Travis Lulay) are chasing the NFL and CFL version of the same record. Obviously the NFL's version is now held by Brees. Sometime down the road, with the help of all his teammates, I hope Lulay can string together enough games with a TD to hold the CFL record.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Re the record ... People will know the circumstances if he "extends" his TD streak unofficially. The rule needs changing. An uptight decision by the statistician. Precedents in other leagues to allow it. He put his head in the sand. "Oh we can't do that. It is too big a decision." And many sports fans, including myself, honour that record, from both leagues. Unitas to Brees. Etcheverry's record will stand, unapproached for now. Step in Commissioner. IMO
If its any consolation to Travis, Etcheverry's TD streak was also halted when he dressed for a game but didn't play because he was injured...according to Suits during the broadcast.
Surprise. The CFL did the right thing IMO. And they should see if records exist to update Sam Etcheverry's record. If his record stopped the same way as Lulay's, see if Sam did not take the field at all, and see how he did in later games.
MikeAK
All Star

Great news. Makes sense to me.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“It’s like a baseball player who’s on a hitting streak but spends the entire game sitting in the dugout, without an at-bat or a turn in the field,” Daniel said. “Lulay could have played, but the team chose not to play him. I’ve thought about it, looked at the rule book, talked to the Elias Sports Bureau, done my research. I’ve come to the conclusion it was an arbitrary rule, not in the spirit of the record book. One of the reasons why we have a record book is to celebrate personal achievement.”

Daniel said it only makes sense to be consistent with the National Football League, since the same statistical measures are used in both leagues to calibrate quarterback performance, such as passing percentage or quarterback rating.

He consulted with CFL administration in Toronto and was told that the decision to reverse the initial ruling would rest with him.

“Jamie Dykstra’s (CFL director of communications and broadcasting) concern was that the rule be consistent with all of pro football,” Daniel said. “I was told, ‘We trust your expertise.’”

Statistical measures are constantly evolving, Daniel said. He points out that categories such as turnovers (1966) and tackles (1987), to give just two examples, weren’t adopted until well into the modern era of the CFL.
They left it up to the statistician. Wow. And he made a good decision IMO ...

Sacks are another relatively new stat.

Deacon Jones and Gino Marchetti were racking up sacks before it was ever officially recorded in the NFL.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sacks

Jones was considered by many to revolutionize the position of defensive end. Jones was noted for coining the term "sack." What separated Jones from every other defensive end was his blinding speed and his ability to make tackles from sideline to sideline, which was unheard of in his time."[7]

Pro Football Weekly reported he accumulated 194½ sacks over his career, which would be third on the all-time sack list. (Jones would have ranked first all-time at the time of his retirement, and since has been surpassed by two fellow Hall of Famer's Bruce Smith and Reggie White.) [8]

In 1967, Jones had 26 sacks in only 14 games, which (if official) would be the single season record. (The term "sack" had not yet been coined at the time, and official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982.) Then in 1968 Jones had 24 sacks in 14 games, also more than the current NFL record.[9] The sum total of these two seasons would give him 50 sacks in 2 seasons, far more than anyone else has achieved.
Well I didn't know that Jones coined the term sack. That is just the per fect guy to do that. And it is just the per fect term. :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU has a bit more background on the ruling. Apparently being in uniform but not seeing the field counts toward a player's pension, among other factors, so there was a practical reason for the original ruling.

CFL rule change: Lulay didn’t play game, can still make TD record
JohnHenry
Champion

Congrats to Lulay, but since the CFL apparently copied passing percentages and QBR from the NFL, perhaps we should award 1/2 sacks and assisted tackles too? Then the fair catch, touchbacks and two-feet in for a reception, just to keep things standardized. Maybe we should ask the Americans why they invented a QB rating system which is so biased towards QB's with high passing percentages for short yardage and ignoring yards per completion, which used to be a standard QB measure in Canadian football for 75 years?
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Congrats to Lulay, but since the CFL apparently copied passing percentages and QBR from the NFL, perhaps we should award 1/2 sacks and assisted tackles too? Then the fair catch, touchbacks and two-feet in for a reception, just to keep things standardized. Maybe we should ask the Americans why they invented a QB rating system which is so biased towards QB's with high passing percentages for short yardage and ignoring yards per completion, which used to be a standard QB measure in Canadian football for 75 years?
:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

While its presently good for our Leos, Lulay, etc. the record is now like comaring apples to oranges. I like consistency in records whenever possible.

I also agree that yards per completion should be part of the measure for CFL qbs at it used to be. It really skews the stats for a quarterback who plays dink and dunk the way it is presently and should never have been changed.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

I like Lulay, but part of the challenge and accomplishment of a streak like this is staying healthy. I don't care for the ruling.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't regard the TD passing streak to be worthwhile paying attention to. What if a QB had 26 games in a row of TD passes but only 26 TD passes in total? He might have more losses than wins.

What if incomplete passes in the end zone are because of a penalty and then the ball gets run in from the 1 yard line?

This kind of record give no real indication of how well a QB is doing or how well his team is doing.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I like Lulay, but part of the challenge and accomplishment of a streak like this is staying healthy. I don't care for the ruling.
It is an interesting take alright, but without the opportunity to get into the game and complete the streak may also constitute a healthy Lulay getting rested in a game like this Calgary game coming up. Then do you attempt to find out if he is injured to void his streak, or not give him a record because the coach held him out in a non factoring game. I see both sides, just wish that they had made the ruling prior to the announcers telling a National audience that the streak was over.
Entertainment value = an all time low