CFL Pet Peeve No. 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

I think one thing that makes the league look bad is the advertising signs propped up just outside the sidelines. They are mainly paper or some similar soft material, but they can cause injury when players crash into them. Usually, they don't, and the player just rips through them, but I can remember one situation a couple of years ago when Lion player cut his neck when hitting one of these signs. They also make it hard for a player to brace himself for the fall when he can't see the ground behind them. I imagine they provide some revenue for the league (or maybe the home team), but I think they should be eliminated post haste. In my opinion, they are really one of several bush league features of CFL games.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

No. Its Hamilton not having a field next year to play on makes the league look bush. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I think one thing that makes the league look bad is the advertising signs propped up just outside the sidelines. They are mainly paper or some similar soft material, but they can cause injury when players crash into them. Usually, they don't, and the player just rips through them, but I can remember one situation a couple of years ago when Lion player cut his neck when hitting one of these signs. They also make it hard for a player to brace himself for the fall when he can't see the ground behind them. I imagine they provide some revenue for the league (or maybe the home team), but I think they should be eliminated post haste. In my opinion, they are really one of several bush league features of CFL games.
Yep, Steven Black at Empire, if memory serves. I don't think he ever played again after that happened.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
lion24
Legend

Prevent defence at the end of games
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rodu
Champion

getting a point on a missed field goal and on a punt un returned from the endzone
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:getting a point on a missed field goal and on a punt un returned from the endzone
I see this as a feature of the Canadian game that puts an added premium on field position. Don't wanna give up a single? Simple — just make sure you don't let the other team get deep enough to kick the ball into the end zone.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

lion24 wrote:Prevent defence at the end of games
Well, I was thinking more of league-related deficiencies. Prevent defense is team- or coach-related, and it happens in the NFL too.

A number 2 peeve for me is letting the same person own two teams. That strikes me as pretty bush-league. Both the sideline signs and having one person owning two teams scream "desperate for money" or "desperate to survive"--not the sign of a really stable, professional endeavor in my opinion. :sigh:
David
Team Captain

Actually, it was Darius Passmore whose throat caught the side of the sideline sign HERE.

Meh, sandwich board signs in the CFL don't bother me all that much. Hell, hockey rink boards are pasted top-to-bottom with cheesy corporate logos. I find that way more intrusive.

The fact of the matter is the league needs advertising revenue. I'd much rather have them on the sidelines than on the field of play, but some teams rely on both.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Meh, sandwich board signs in the CFL don't bother me all that much. Hell, hockey rink boards are pasted top-to-bottom with cheesy corporate logos. I find that way more intrusive.
Well, it's not the content of the signs that's the problem, it's their ability to injure players. Advertising on hockey-arena boards doesn't have that potential, does it.
almo89
Legend

I can live with ads around the field since it's just like hockey ads on the boards. I think the league looks bush when they have Wendys, Tim Hortons and Rona plastered ON the field. What's worse is that they even have soccer lines in Hamilton and Calgary I think. Those really need to go. Football is all about looking good on TV and it looks terrible when you see ads and soccer lines on the field. BC Place games look great on TV because we don't have that stuff on our field. I always thought that we can make it look even better if we paint the endzones and put the Leos logo at centre field like they do in the NFL.
David
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
David wrote:Meh, sandwich board signs in the CFL don't bother me all that much. Hell, hockey rink boards are pasted top-to-bottom with cheesy corporate logos. I find that way more intrusive.
Well, it's not the content of the signs that's the problem, it's their ability to injure players. Advertising on hockey-arena boards doesn't have that potential, does it.
I can accept your argument from an aesthetics stand point, but really, "ability to inure players??" Darius Passmore aside, how many players in the hundreds of game played since (or prior to for that matter) have you seen injured by a cardboard sign??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CFL Pet Peeve: People who find fault with the CFL and game.

sj-roc wrote:
Rodu wrote:getting a point on a missed field goal and on a punt un returned from the endzone
I see this as a feature of the Canadian game that puts an added premium on field position. Don't wanna give up a single? Simple — just make sure you don't let the other team get deep enough to kick the ball into the end zone.
I agree sj-roc. It is idiotic to reduce a FG to a play like the Convert where the play is 99.9999999999999999% dead as the kick is successful. It is good that a missed convert or INT on a 2 pointer technically can be run back for a score. The US have smaller end zones and can't have run backs as we do. It doesn't happen but I recall games where punts into the end zone were punted out and then back in and out again. It was a different time when the punter also played other positions.

The wider field and the single off missed converts or punts not run out of the end zone and the clock management rules in the final minutes makes this game exciting.

I always fear that fans might foolishly get what they are wishing for.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
South Pender wrote:
I can accept your argument from an aesthetics stand point, but really, "ability to inure players??" Darius Passmore aside, how many players in the hundreds of game played since (or prior to for that matter) have you seen injured by a cardboard sign??

That was definitely a freak injury and I would have to believe the league has taken measures to help prevent it from ever happening again.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Actually, it was Darius Passmore whose throat caught the side of the sideline sign HERE.

Meh, sandwich board signs in the CFL don't bother me all that much. Hell, hockey rink boards are pasted top-to-bottom with cheesy corporate logos. I find that way more intrusive.

The fact of the matter is the league needs advertising revenue. I'd much rather have them on the sidelines than on the field of play, but some teams rely on both.

I stand corrected! But I saw something in that link that doesn't match my recollections:
But the incident hushed the crowd of 25,127 as medical staff from both clubs hovered over him for several minutes while a stretcher was brought onto the field.
On the contrary, some idiots who mustn't have been paying attention to the game got a vanity wave going around the whole stadium. I felt embarrassed to be a Lion fan at that moment, to be in a stadium full of people, so many of whom were cheering and doing the wave while a player laid out on the field could have been choking to death from a throat injury. As I recall, the only section where most fans weren't joining in on the wave was the one right in front of where Passmore sustained his injury; those people were rightly more concerned about what just happened in front of them and they were actually getting booed for not participating. For shame.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Mine is probably having the BlueBombers play in the eastern division. The West will be that much nastier once the Bombers return to the Wild West, IMO.....