Montreal vs BC Game Day Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:From Herb Zurkowsky on the Alouette beat:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/h ... story.html
...the Als have now lost their last two visits here by a combined 86-11. So what else is new? Montreal has only one victory at Vancouver since 2000, that coming in 2010, when the Lions temporarily played out of Empire Field.

“Maybe we need Ghostbusters to come in and exhume this place. It’s weird,” said guard Scott Flory, with Montreal since 1999.

“I’ve run out of excuses,” Calvillo added. “Whether we play in the afternoon, stay out (west) because it’s a short week ... it’s a difficult place to win.”
Despite the Als’ position in the standings, combined with their record, it’s hard to dispute what appears obvious — there’s a huge discrepancy in talent between Montreal and B.C. The Lions won handily, and they did so without veteran slotback Geroy Simon, who missed his first game since 2008, out with a hamstring injury.
These games happen over an 18-game season. But what should be disconcerting to Trestman and his players, is it has now happened three times in 10 games — the Als outscored by a combined 120-44 by the Stampeders, Hamilton and Lions.

When this team loses, it does so convincingly and in grand fashion.
I think Zurkowsky draws the wrong concluisions. Inconsistency like he describes isn't the hallmark of a lack of talent, it's indicative of a lack of focus on the part of the players, or a bad game plan, or both.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think the Als beat writer understands correctly, that although the Als are a talented, well coached team, their talent doesn't match that of the Lions...no team in the league is relatively close...that is why this adversity for the Leos mid season was actually a very good thing...because it keeps the Lions focused and intent on being the best that they can be, and if the Leos do this, they will win another Grey Cup this season, as their team wide talent stands alone.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I think the Als beat writer understands correctly, that although the Als are a talented, well coached team, their talent doesn't match that of the Lions...no team in the league is relatively close...that is why this adversity for the Leos mid season was actually a very good thing...because it keeps the Lions focused and intent on being the best that they can be, and if the Leos do this, they will win another Grey Cup this season, as their team wide talent stands alone.
Ahh it is that complacency that I worry about setting in. Taking on the Als was a test for the Lion players, especially after the loss in Montreal. How many 'tests' are left in the remaining 8 games realistically? I guess a few, but I see them as few and far between. A concern for any coaching staff.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/steinbergs-mmqb-e ... ith-joseph

From Pat Steinberg at cfl.ca
There isn’t a whole lot to say about BC’s 43-10 win over Montreal on Saturday, because it was very, very decisive.  The Lions looked like the class of the Canadian Football League and didn’t relinquish control of that game after a very eventful opening quarter.  Even with Geroy Simon the sidelines, it was the best offensive effort we’ve seen this season from BC.

In his second full season as starter, quarterback Travis Lulay is still finding his way, but make no mistake about it: he is an elite CFL pivot.  Lulay hasn’t struggled in my eyes, but his production has been lower than what it was last year.  That’s understandable, though.  The rest of the league has adjusted to what Lulay is all about, and he is adjusting to that at the same time.  With an entire season and playoff run to study, deciphering trends becomes a little bit more doable.

Lulay is a versatile quarterback, and what we’ve seen this season is nothing more than part of his growth.  His game against Montreal (four touchdowns), however, shows you what he’s still capable of.
Whatever reasons the Toronto Argonauts had for releasing Cory Boyd a few weeks ago, they were made more convincing thanks to the presence of Chad Kackert.  There is a pretty good chance that he will earn Offensive Player of the Week thanks to his outstanding afternoon in Toronto’s decisive 45-31 win over Hamilton on Saturday.  

The California kid was the leading rusher and receiver for the Argos, finishing with 239 yards from scrimmage and three touchdowns.

It’s the most resounding performance we’ve seen from Kackert since he took over from Cory Boyd at running back, but it’s not as if the guy hasn’t been productive.  In his four games as a starter, Kackert has registered a very impressive 553 yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns.  

He’s been a huge part of the Toronto attack, applying himself well in all situations.  He may not be the biggest body out there, but I’ve really liked how Kackert has applied himself in the blocking game.  His versatility has been very similar to Boyd’s, too, proving himself to be a good check down option on top of his fairly consistent work on the ground.

I don’t think we should be all that surprised.  Kackert was a very highly touted running back playing high school football in California, and he saw the bulk of carries in his final year of college at the University of New Hampshire.  Now that he has been given his shot for the first time in pro football, Kackert has done the job extremely well, and has helped diversify the Toronto offence in the process.

More than anything else, a consistent running attack has taken the pressure off of Ricky Ray at quarterback.  The Argos have won three of four games since their swap at in the backfield, and Ray hasn’t been asked to take the team on his shoulders.  On Saturday, his team put up 45 points, but he didn’t throw for a touchdown.  

In Toronto’s two other wins over that same span, Ray threw for one major in each game.  Compare that to the other three Argos wins this season where Ray had seven touchdown passes and you’ll start to see a trend.

With Kackert doing his good work in the Toronto backfield, the team isn’t relying on their quarterback to finish off all their scores.  Ray has still been very good, but seeing his team get scoring from their run game, their special teams, and their aerial attack has to be a weight off of his mind.  With Chad Owens, Kackert, and Ray, the Argos have transformed their offence in the matter of one season, and it’s a driving force behind their 6-4 start.
Blitz
Team Captain

Some interesting comments regarding Nick Moore's performance against Montreal. With Simon likely ready to play against Toronto and Kierrie Johnson ready to return as well our Leos have some interesting decisions at receiver to make.

One thing for sure, is our tremendous receiver depth...with Iannuzzi and Jackson at Canadian receiver backing up Gore and Foster and Earnest Jackson and Nick Moore showing their stuff...and we haven't even seen Courtenay Taylor yet and he's good too..

Here are the comments regarding Moore from the Vancouver Sun below:

I thought he did a good job,” said head coach Mike Benevides.“I told him expectations were high for him. I believe in him, we believe in him. His skill set is viewed as a Geroy Simon. That’s a purrfect position for him. He knew he had an opportunity to capitalize and I’m proud of the fact he was at the one-yard line and that was all him on effort.”

I think he’s proved to the guys how mentally tough he is. That’s tough to go through that from having expectations, being a starter out of the gate last year and being put back on (inactive roster) for the bulk of last season.......... he’s a guy with good hands, he’s really smooth, so I’ve continued to have a ton of faith in Nick.”

When Simon and Bruce and Paris retire one day...it would still be an impreseive lineup with Gore, Kirrie Johnson, Nick Moore, Earnest Jackson, Akeem Foster, Courtenay Taylor and Mark Iannuzzi..if they were still all around.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/m ... story.html

From Herb Zurkowski in the Montreal Gazette

Thought this was so cool ...
VANCOUVER — He walked into the Alouettes’ dressing room, minutes after they had absorbed their worst defeat of the season, as though he owned the joint. And perhaps, in some ways, Wally Buono indeed does have carte blanche within BC Place Stadium, if not the entire city.

The Lions’ general manager, and the Canadian Football League’s career leader in victories, had a cookbook, of all things, he wanted signed by quarterback Anthony Calvillo, who was more than receptive. Even Buono, it would seem, can reduce himself to the common-man level when necessary.
Both men are awesome, as role models and as professionals. There is a lot more than football going on.

:thup:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote: When Simon and Bruce and Paris retire one day...it would still be an impreseive lineup with Gore, Kirrie Johnson, Nick Moore, Earnest Jackson, Akeem Foster, Courtenay Taylor and Mark Iannuzzi..if they were still all around.
It really is amazing depth Bltiz. Of concern, however, is Gore and Ianuzzi are in the final year of their contracts according to LU. Gore apparently wants to take one final crack at the NFL. My fear is if he hits the open market in the CFL the bidding war for his services could be fierce. He is the complete package you would want in any non-import receiver.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My guess is that C. Taylor goes to the practice roster and K. Johnson to the 46-man roster. Johnson may be slightly faster than E. Jackson, but Jackson is 3-4" taller and 40-50lbs. heavier so he plays.

Since C. Taylor hasn't played and NFL cuts are not far away, he may be able to stay on the PR without being plucked by another team.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:My guess is that C. Taylor goes to the practice roster and K. Johnson to the 46-man roster. Johnson may be slightly faster than E. Jackson, but Jackson is 3-4" taller and 40-50lbs. heavier so he plays.

Since C. Taylor hasn't played and NFL cuts are not far away, he may be able to stay on the PR without being plucked by another team.
I agree about Taylor. Johnson was added to the 46-man roster last week but was on the four-man reserve list for the Montreal game, along with Simon, Taylor and Maurice Evans. That's three receivers out of four spots on the inactive list. That's too much depth. Taylor is most vulnerable since he hasn't had a chance to show anything yet.

Simon will play this week and Johnson will play as soon as the coaches believe he's ready. Ernest Jackson has done well with his size and speed, but Johnson is a huge part of the offence. The Lions have a lot of ways to get the ball in his hands. He also creates space for Simon, Bruce, Harris and others with his speed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well I guess the Lions could activate Johnson ahead of Jackson, but I would be very surprised.

They both get deep.

They both run the reverse, with Jackson possibly better, 2 carries for 40 last game.

Jackson much, much, much bigger, and I'm not sure Kierie is faster than 4.4.

But we will see soon enough.

BTW I like 'em both. And very nice to see Nick Moore do well last game. Liked him from the get go.

Arland Bruce :thup:

Shawn Gore :thup: More and more impressive with each game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My guess is that Jackson will stay in the lineup for this week's game against the Argos. Toronto has a physical defence and Jackson brings a little more physicality than Johnson
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
DanoT wrote:My guess is that C. Taylor goes to the practice roster and K. Johnson to the 46-man roster. Johnson may be slightly faster than E. Jackson, but Jackson is 3-4" taller and 40-50lbs. heavier so he plays.

I agree about Taylor. Johnson was added to the 46-man roster last week but was on the four-man reserve list for the Montreal game, along with Simon, Taylor and Maurice Evans. That's three receivers out of four spots on the inactive list. That's too much depth. Taylor is most vulnerable since he hasn't had a chance to show anything yet.

Simon will play this week and Johnson will play as soon as the coaches believe he's ready. Ernest Jackson has done well with his size and speed, but Johnson is a huge part of the offence. The Lions have a lot of ways to get the ball in his hands. He also creates space for Simon, Bruce, Harris and others with his speed.

I respectfully disagree BCFAN...Kierri Johnson's position is a "huge part of this offence", not Kierrie Johnson...before he was injured, there were a few games where he didn't even see the ball...and a lot of that is due to his size...other than on a "GO ROUTE", he is actually difficult to throw the ball to because of his size, or lack thereof...and his injury involved falling naturally into the end zone from a leap...there are HUGE issues concerning his size and durability in my mind, and taking Ernest Jackson out of the lineup just as he is starting to understand the nuances of the Chaps system, for a pint sized player (no matter how fast), is just wrong.

Jackson possesses Johnson's speed...has shown better hands...possesses 40-50 more pounds of mass and 6-7 inches in height...THIS is what the Lions offence needs, not mighty mouse. I appreciate KJs contributions to this team, but Jackson is a find...his size is a key ingredient to our offence, and he simply can't come out of the lineup...he is good right now, and has the potential to become our most dominant WR by the end of the season...KJ will never get to that level...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

I respectfully disagree BCFAN...Kierri Johnson's position is a "huge part of this offence", not Kierrie Johnson...before he was injured, there were a few games where he didn't even see the ball...and a lot of that is due to his size...other than on a "GO ROUTE", he is actually difficult to throw the ball to because of his size, or lack thereof...and his injury involved falling naturally into the end zone from a leap...there are HUGE issues concerning his size and durability in my mind, and taking Ernest Jackson out of the lineup just as he is starting to understand the nuances of the Chaps system, for a pint sized player (no matter how fast), is just wrong.

Jackson possesses Johnson's speed...has shown better hands...possesses 40-50 more pounds of mass and 6-7 inches in height...THIS is what the Lions offence needs, not mighty mouse. I appreciate KJs contributions to this team, but Jackson is a find...his size is a key ingredient to our offence, and he simply can't come out of the lineup...he is good right now, and has the potential to become our most dominant WR by the end of the season...KJ will never get to that level...
Agree on having to keep Jackson in the lineup completely. Lions have been on the lookout for that type of receiver since I perhaps Action Jackson. They did tease us with Simmons a few seasons ago, but the injuries only allowed us to see the potential of his greatness. Now, it gets difficult to keep the Lions abundance of receivers around, especially with a few teams in need of average receivers to complement their starting 2 - 3, example Riders. I don't see how the Lions can keep all in orange and black, so they are going to have to juggle that decision with the mindset that they will lose one almost certainly. Try and trade is one way, but this is the CFL and when teams know that you can't keep all your assets, they aren't exactly giving on the return.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't know how good C. Taylor is but if he goes to the IR (full pay and can't be claimed by other teams) or the PR it will be an indication of what the Lions think of him and his chances of being lost off the PR to other teams.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I don't know how good C. Taylor is but if he goes to the IR (full pay and can't be claimed by other teams) or the PR it will be an indication of what the Lions think of him and his chances of being lost off the PR to other teams.
.............and I hope they do that Dano T. because, even though we haven't seen Taylor play yet.... he is very good as well.

As for Keirrie Johnson and Earnest Jackson you have to like them both for different reasons but finding a receiver who is 6'3", 220 pounds, has 4.4 speed and can catch as well as a lot more upside is special.

Lots to be said about Johnson`s training camp and his chemistry with Geroy etc. but for me, I would go with Earnest Jackson. Jackson will likely start against the press coverage of Toronto and then I guess we`ll see what happens.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)