Montreal vs BC Game Day Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

Outstanding effort by the team today. Its nice to finally see the offense get things on-track, and fire on all cylinders. I love the balanced attack. The running game by committee with Harris/Brown up the middle, and then Gore/Bruce/Jackson/etc. on the end-arounds is superb when they can execute it as they did today.

Defensively, not much to say. They've been doing this almost the entire year to nearly every opponent we've faced outside of a couple hiccups against Hamilton in week one, and Montreal last week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

From Lowell Ullrich's article ...
It clearly had to be the only game in the last decade in which the Lions had four passing scores but the receivers coming through were Nick Moore, Ernest Jackson, Marco Iannuzzi and Shawn Gore.

All four delivered in the absence of Simon, who knew as early as Friday he would miss only his fourth game since 2002 but tried to persuade Benevides into changing his mind during a brief pre-game workout.

It left Simon predictably sour, until he began to see what Lulay was doing with his new young guns.

“I was pissed at the beginning. I wanted to play. But once the game settled in I settled down,” he said. “This is great to see. It’s huge for us. There’s always been questions about a few of them but they all stepped up. They did their job.”
Moore got Simon’s roster spot, which marked about the fourth time during his three seasons with the Lions he’d been given a prominent role in the offence. He responded with a six-catch, 64-yard outing, including a critical third-quarter touchdown that enabled the Lions to pull away.

And Moore knew he probably would have run out of chances already with the Lions were it not for the fact he was replacing a 37-year-old in Simon and that Arland Bruce won’t play forever either.

“I try not to think about that but I can’t help not to,” Moore admitted. “I prepared all week like I’m going to play. My role is to be ready at all times.”
Nice to see Nick Moore play well.
Later, with the offence gaining some confidence not seen in a few weeks, Lulay took a 43-yard shot in the end zone to Jackson, who also responded with the game’s signature play, as the first-year wideout went airborne for a fourth quarter score. It more than made up for an assignment error in which Benevides chewed out Jackson on the sidelines a few minutes earlier.

“It did take a while; I’m getting used to this Canadian football,” said Jackson.
Jackson looks like an amazing weapon.
None of it, however, would have taken without a return to defensive form by the Lions, who limited Anthony Calvillo to 95 yards passing after the Als’ opening touchdown drive and halted the quarterback’s eight-game streak where he had thrown for 300 passing yards. B.C. also got some help in the form of a whopping 20 penalties and 151 yards by the Alouettes, who seemed intent on keeping the Lions on the field.
And none of it would have happened without Lulay, who resisted the temptation to jump-start the offence with the deep throw until the opportunity to Jackson surfaced.

If the Lions produce touchdowns at a similar pace, Simon was being kidded after the game he might not get a roster spot back when the Lions play host to the Toronto Argonauts Saturday.

“Let’s not go there,” grinned Lulay, who then began to explain what it meant to be patient against the Als defence.

“The reason we were able to stay patient was because we able execute the short stuff, which you should. When you do that, we have some talented guys that can go over the top."

Patience. Short stuff first. Over the top later.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish's article ...
Lions quarterback Travis Lulay threw four touchdown passes -- matching his career high for a single game -- to Shawn Gore and Marco Iannuzzi in the first half and Nick Moore and Ernest Jackson following half-time.

Andrew Harris had a one-yard touchdown run with time running down in the fourth quarter and Lions backup quarterback Mike Reilly in control.

In addition to moving his record to 17-4 in his past 21 starts, Lulay ran his streak of consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass to 21, tying Montreal’s Anthony Calvillo for second all-time. Sam (the Rifle) Etcheverry holds the record of 34 straight.

“It’s all about him [Lulay],” said Lions coach Mike Benevides. “Look at how he uses his legs, look at how he converts on second down. He leads by example, by how emotional he is and how he encourages players. He’s a tremendously intelligent leader. He gives us a chance by doing all of those things.”

The Lions, after a stumbling 1-6 start in 2011, used Lulay’s hot hand over the final 11 games to finish in first place in the West, and the team eventually moved on to a Grey Cup championship. The redhead from Stayton, Ore. threw 25 touchdown passes and just five interceptions over the course of the rest of the campaign after being pulled from a game in August. It was performance which netted him the league’s most outstanding player award at the expense of Calvillo. Could history be repeating itself?

“I’d rather be on a roll in the second half, than the other way around,” Lulay said. “I’ve always prided myself in looking for ways to get better as the season moves along. You’ve got to look at things that happen in the first half of the season as feedback. As long as I’m diligent, and being hard on myself, and slowly correcting one thing at a time, the results start to show for themselves.”

Calvillo, the league’s leading passer, had thrown for a CFL record eight straight games with at least 300 passing yards coming into Saturday’s contest. He appeared to be on his way to a ninth, with 77 passing yards on Montreal’s first offensive series, which he finished off with a 19-yard toss to Jamel Richardson. It put the Alouettes ahead 7-3. But from that point on, the Montreal maestro was overmatched by Lulay. Calvillo managed just 75 passing yards over the next three quarters, he was sacked twice, and his quest for nine straight games of 300 yards was over.

Lulay finished the game with 262 yards, on 23-of-31 passing and his four TDs.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

notahomer wrote:What is with all the trickery against the Lions?

Riders tried an opening kickoff onside kick? Arayki handled it well and the Lions didn't end up punishing the Riders cuz we fumbled it soon thereafter.

My fading memory seems to remember some other trickery in the past few weeks. Are teams just trying to throw a monkey wrench in there somewhere hoping it will be the break they need.

The Al's trickery worked and it made sense from the spot on the field. They were trying an awfully long field goal and instead were able to make a trick play work. End result was only a field goal but I had to admit, at the time I was wondering if this was going to be one of those weird games where the home crowd was going to go home frustrated. Thankfully, IIRC, that was the last highlight of the Al's day. The rest pretty much sucked (for an Al's fan).

I enjoyed the game today. Have to admit I caught myself grumbling a bit about the sun. Snapped out of it, quickly. How can we whine about what the weather is regardless of what it is? Its too hot when its sunny. Too wet when its rainy. Too whatever, regardless of the weather. That being said, I do hope it is a similar day next week and all the folks on the Lions side of the stadium will get an afternoon in the sun. It really doesn't impact the game much, most of the stadium is still shady. I spent double what I normally do on drinks simply because I was getting thirstier.......

It is 2 things...hoping that the defending champions are complacent, which happens to a lot of teams in their hangover year...and, 2, desperation...the Lions are VERY GOOD, and Lulay rarely turns the ball over, so teams are trying to manufacture "turnovers" against us...

I am very glad to see that the Lions are being challenged so much, and meeting the best teams have to offer week in and week out...because it is keeping us FOCUSED on the prize..repeating is never easy because you have a target on your back...the Lions aren't hurting for ability to repeat, it is only a question of DESIRE...MB and the Lions have shown that desire, and I don't see any team stopping us from repeating.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:That was a perfectly executed onside kick. Lion defenders were caught napping and standing still when the 2 Montreal players went in motion. What were the defence thinking ? That the 2 guys were going to the airport for an early flight ?
I think that if you watch that again, you'll see two of our defenders going out with the 2 Alouettes, but they weren't quick enough to catch up to the Montreal guys.
South Pender
Legend

With Kierrie (sp?) Johnson about a week or two from returning, an interesting dilemma is on the horizon for MB regarding whether to drop Ernest Jackson from the 42-man roster to make room for Kierrie. From what I've seen, I'd like to see E-Jack kept active.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:That was a perfectly executed onside kick. Lion defenders were caught napping and standing still when the 2 Montreal players went in motion. What were the defence thinking ? That the 2 guys were going to the airport for an early flight ?
I think that if you watch that again, you'll see two of our defenders going out with the 2 Alouettes, but they weren't quick enough to catch up to the Montreal guys.
I believe that the defenders were more worried about downfield coverage than anything else. They chose to play it safe rather than realize the situation. You know if you are thinking about the play, then you are a step behind. By the time they react to where the ball is placed, Als had the ball in their sights.

Interesting point on the post game show, not sure if I heard it correctly, but they suggested that on an onside FG attempt like that, if you recover the ball it is first down once again for the kicking team, regardless of making the necessary yards for what should have been the first down distance.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:
South Pender wrote:
I believe that the defenders were more worried about downfield coverage than anything else. They chose to play it safe rather than realize the situation. You know if you are thinking about the play, then you are a step behind. By the time they react to where the ball is placed, Als had the ball in their sights.

Interesting point on the post game show, not sure if I heard it correctly, but they suggested that on an onside FG attempt like that, if you recover the ball it is first down once again for the kicking team, regardless of making the necessary yards for what should have been the first down distance.

So if it is 3rd and very long say 20 or 30 yards, then an onside FG kick only needs to travel 1mm over the line of scrimmage and be recovered by the onside man, and it becomes a first down without actually moving the ball down the field. We might see this play again.
Blitz
Team Captain

What more could an avid Lion fan want...a huge win in a defining game, brilliant coaching, excellent execution, and great plays on both sides of the football and on special teams. I even got the long ball to Earnest Jackson that I've been whining for weeks for the Lions to throw. It was a treat to watch. Some post game thoughts"

OFFENCE

This was a brilliant game plan and outstanding play calling from Chapdelaine and JaquesBall, with some excellent adjustments, was on display in full force. I knew that this was going to be a different offensive outing from the first offensive series we ran. On first down we ran the football with Brown carrying and then came back with another run, this time with Harris carrying the leather. We threw a very quick out to Gore and then ran a bootleg right, with Lulay behind a pulling guard and hit Arland Bruce. Chap then had Lulay sprint out to his left and threw it to Foster. We only got a field goal on that first series, as we had a pass knockdown on second down but it was obvious that we were going to do things differently than in our last three outings. The big question before this game was whether our offence could adjust to the additional pressure and style of play that defenses were throwing at us lately. This game answered that question. It took us a few games to implement a quicker passing offence and the other adjustments that we needed to make. We had the Montreal defense on their heels all day. How did we do that?

First of all we ran the football. We ran the football a whopping 24 times, not including Lulay and Reilly's runs or sneaks. We ran the football in a variety of ways from quick hitters to reverses to misdirection runs. Our offensive lineman became aggressive with so much run blocking. Hameister-Rees was knocking guys on their can everywhere. The effective running game meant Montreal could not just lineup and rush the quarterback.

We also moved the pocket. In Montreal, last game, we passed the football 33 times and 26 of those times we had Lulay sitting in the pocket. Not this game...we had him moving a lot more, with rollouts, sprint outs and we moved the pocket around. No longer was he a stationary target.

The quick passing attack meant simpler reads for Lulay and quick strikes. It made Montreal's rush ineffective for a lot of the game. Montreal's defense also played us differently than Toronto or Winnipeg, who had played press man coverage. Montreal's pass defense plays back more and we were able to complete those quick strikes, move the football, have much better time of possesion and keep our defense fresh. In the second half, when Montreal backed off on its pass rush pressure tactics we had more time to throw the football. And when their defensive backs came up and tried to play us tighter we went over the top, as in the play to Earnest Jackson and another to Arland Bruce that was called back.

Nick Moore, who I have alway liked stepped in for Geroy Simon and played an excellent game. We got Earnest Jackson involved again, which we needed to do. At 6'3, 220 pounds, with 4.4 speed and excellent hands, we needed to get him involved again. Shawn Gore really stepped up. All of our receivers were involved and when they are, our offence is so much better.

It was the kind of game plan and play calling that was also tailor made for Lulay. Rather than just making him a pocket passer trying to read the whole field while under pressure, we gave him a running attack, a moving pocket, and quick option passes. The play calling was the key to giving Lulay better protection but the offensive line also played better, picking up stunts more effectively. By the second half, the Montreal defense, more tired due to being on the field longer, having to pursue reverses and bootlegs, and a lot of running plays, sagged and that provided us with much more time in the pocket and Lulay really took advantage. Lulay looked relaxed from the opening drive on and he looked so comfortable in executing the game plan.

DEFENSE

There were some that thuoght that bllitzing Cavillo might be the answer but Stubler also had a great game plan for Montreal. He mostly went with a four man rush, with the occasional five man and the occasional 3 man rush. We got a better inside push this game, which really helped. However the key was in coverage. Stubler had Montreal scouted well and our defenders were squatting and jumping Montreal's routes all game. Korey Banks played incredibly well as did Reddick but the entire defensive backfield and linebacking crew played the pass very well while our defensive line kept up their intensity while knowing sacks would be hard to come by.

It looked dismal on the first series, with Cavillo hitting SJ Green deep for 38 yds, followed by a quick out to R|chardson, a quick throw to Montreal's fullback in the flat, and then the TD toss to Richardson on a seam post, as Muamba slipped and could not help out on the play. However, that was it as our defense went into shutdown mode, forcing Montreal's offence to five 2 and outs in the first half. We played Montreal's receivers tight the rest of the game with a mixture of coverages without giving up the big play. Our defense was much fresher with our offence on the field more and it showed. A very smart defensive game with excellent execution.

SPECIAL TEAMS

I really didn't expect Brown to have a repeat game on returns as he did in Montreal, expecting the Als to shore up this area more. However that was not the case as we gave Brown some excellent initial blocks and he made the most of them. Montreal suprised us with a fake field goal and we tried an onside kick that was not successful However, we more than one the battle of special teams and it was also a difference maker.

Game wihin the Game

~Earnest Jackson's touchdown bomb was a special catch, with Jackson making a great last burst and displaying great hands while laying out. However, pehaps the catch of the day was Arland Bruce catching a bomb with one hand, as if it had a handle on it. The play had been whistled dead but it showed his tremendous talent.

~Nick Moore got really hurt in the second quarter on a twisting catch in which he was hit right away in a vulnerable position. However, he came back in the third quarter with two excellent receptions...catching six passes on the day.

~Shawn Gore showed how tough he is when he was laid out brutally by Montreal's safety while going up high for a long reception. It was a play that one would think he would not get up from but he bounced back up as if he had only been touched.

~the best example of the excellent play calling and simpler reads in this game was the touchdown pass to Iannuzzi. Chadelaine had Paris Jackson and Iannuzzi lined up right, on second down in the Montreal red zone. Jackson lined up in the slot and Iannzzi outside. It was a two man pass pattern with a simple read. Jackson ran the seam and then broke to the outside. The halfback covered Jackson and the corner dropped off to provide helpside on Jackson's pattern. Iannuzzi had to run the play wisely and patienty. He waited and then broke underneath, totally uncovered. Lulay read the play and delivered the football accuratetly for an easy toss and catch play for a big touchdown.

~Benevedes made a wise call in not dressing Geroy Simon. Most rookie Head Coaches would have played their star receiver in a huge game, especially when the receiver declared himself fit to play. However, Simon is 37 years old and it takes longer to heal from an injury as a player gets older and |Benevedes did not want to risk a more serious injury. Benevedes also had to deal with Simon being pissed off when being told he would not play..not an easy thing for a Head Coach and the right call.

~Montreal also killed themselves with 20 penalties in the game, the most called against a team this season. We had them off their game and it showed.

WRAP

This was a game in which the combination of excellent coaching, player talent, and everyone being on the same page brought a tremendous result. Our coaches and players were fired up for this game while also being very displined in what they did. It was a treat to watch.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:On the illegal challenge, at first I thought that Benefield was most upset,
Why would Daved Benefield have been upset? :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
Rammer wrote:On the illegal challenge, at first I thought that Benefield was most upset,
Why would Daved Benefield have been upset? :wink:
Because he never became a coach? Smart alec. :tease:
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Was that a helmet to helmet on Gore in the 2nd quarter when he extended to make the catch but was knocked loose by the tackler. I thought that should of been a penalty. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Was that a helmet to helmet on Gore in the 2nd quarter when he extended to make the catch but was knocked loose by the tackler. I thought that should of been a penalty. Thnx BB
Close one, but a tough call in that Gore was coming down from his contact of the football into the defender. It sure wasn't pretty from Gore's perspective, but you have to give him huge credit for bouncing up right afterwards. His teammates know that he has moxy now.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

From Herb Zurkowsky on the Alouette beat:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/h ... story.html
...the Als have now lost their last two visits here by a combined 86-11. So what else is new? Montreal has only one victory at Vancouver since 2000, that coming in 2010, when the Lions temporarily played out of Empire Field.

“Maybe we need Ghostbusters to come in and exhume this place. It’s weird,” said guard Scott Flory, with Montreal since 1999.

“I’ve run out of excuses,” Calvillo added. “Whether we play in the afternoon, stay out (west) because it’s a short week ... it’s a difficult place to win.”
Despite the Als’ position in the standings, combined with their record, it’s hard to dispute what appears obvious — there’s a huge discrepancy in talent between Montreal and B.C. The Lions won handily, and they did so without veteran slotback Geroy Simon, who missed his first game since 2008, out with a hamstring injury.
These games happen over an 18-game season. But what should be disconcerting to Trestman and his players, is it has now happened three times in 10 games — the Als outscored by a combined 120-44 by the Stampeders, Hamilton and Lions.

When this team loses, it does so convincingly and in grand fashion.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
So if it is 3rd and very long say 20 or 30 yards, then an onside FG kick only needs to travel 1mm over the line of scrimmage and be recovered by the onside man, and it becomes a first down without actually moving the ball down the field. We might see this play again.
Yes. Once the ball goes beyond the line of scrimmage, the kicking team is, in the strictest sense, surrendering possession of the football. So if someone onsides recovers it, it's the equivalent of a fumble recovery, basically. In theory a kicker could also kick the ball, let it bounce around and get downfield in time to be the first person to touch it. Smart use of the rules by the Als.