Zack Kassian ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabre ... 748370.ece
Kassian focuses on role with Canucks

Ex-Sabres forward gets goal, assist against his old team - John Vogl

VANCOUVER — For now, Zack Kassian has taken over the Vancouver hockey scene. Folks are intrigued by the big right winger, whose highlights and clips have been blaring across television screens.

Eventually, though, the Canucks' new forward will fade into the background. The team boasts all-world talent in Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa and Roberto Luongo, to name just a few, so the spotlight will inevitably shine elsewhere.

Kassian will be just fine with that.
"I kind of want to fly under the radar here," he said Saturday before facing his former team, the Buffalo Sabres. "You don't want to come in and try to be a world beater. There's enough great players in here already. I just want to do my little piece, work hard and play my role.

"They've welcomed me with open arms. I'm just real excited to get the opportunity to play here. They've got a great team here, and I'm just going to try to be a small piece to a big puzzle."
:thup:
He's eager to prove he belongs and helped make his case by recording a goal and an assist during the third period of Buffalo's 5-3 win in Rogers Arena. He scored with 2:46 left to pull the Canucks within 4-3.

The 21-year-old was shocked by Monday's trade that sent him to Vancouver along with Marc-Andre Gragnani in exchange for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer. He wants to show the Canucks they made the right move and remind Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier why he was Buffalo's No. 1 prospect.

"I have something to prove to the Sabres and Vancouver," Kassian said. "As a young player in this league, you have to make a name for yourself. Me being traded away from Buffalo, I obviously want to play well and kind of show them what I could have been. Vancouver has high hopes for me and obviously I want to play well and show them they didn't make a mistake.

"Hockey's a business. If he feels that was the right move, Darcy, so be it."
Kassian's role with the Canucks is well-defined. Coach Alain Vigneault sat him down upon arrival and outlined the plan.

"Just crash and bang, be a physical presence, strong on pucks. If I get the chance to score, bear down," Kassian said. "Obviously, anyone that gets traded to a contending team, and they're first in the conference, is going to do exactly what's told of them. I'm more than excited to be here. I feel honored to even get the privilege to play, so I'm just going to work hard, take it day by day, and hopefully, like I said earlier, be a small piece to a big puzzle."
"crash and bang" LOL Yup ... "more than excited to be here" Cool. "honored to even get the privilege to play" :thup:

"so I'm just going to work hard, take it day by day, and hopefully, like I said earlier, be a small piece to a big puzzle." :thup:
There may have been a mixed message to the forward in Buffalo. The 6-foot-3, 228-pounder entered the organization widely regarded as a hitter with a scoring touch. This season, the physical play had diminished. He said he was trying to concentrate on skill because the physical side would always be there.

Then, in evaluating the trade, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said his only curiosity about Kassian's potential is whether the player's physical game will develop.

"I think here it kind of resparked my career," Kassian said.
Dunno why Ruff did not play this kid. Maybe Ruff wants all new players to bow and scrape at his image until they get a real chance to play. Dunno.

As for the physical game, Kassian has had that from Day 1, even before he made it to the NHL. D'oh ...
Gragnani is also thrilled for the new opportunity. He sat for Buffalo in 13 of 14 games heading into the trade deadline, but he has played in two of Vancouver's three games since the deal.

"I'm happy," Gragnani said in Rogers Arena. "It's the best team. Who wouldn't want to be here?"
Well, the answer to that might be Hodgson. The center, who was playing less than 13 minutes a game for the Canucks, has repeatedly dodged questions all weekend about whether he or someone close to him requested a trade out of Vancouver. Adding to the intrigue is the fact his agent, Ritch Winter, initially wrote on Twitter that he "never demanded ice-time or trade" then deleted the post when chatter increased.

"Like I told many guys beforehand, I was as shocked as anybody," Hodgson said about the trade. "But I don't want to go back. Even when I played here the whole time I never went back and thought of readdressing old issues and that kind of stuff. I just wanted to go play, and that's what I want to do now. I've got a new team with Buffalo and good guys, and hopefully things will work out."
The deal has the potential to work out for both teams. Hodgson is the two-way, playmaking center the Sabres desired. Kassian adds bulk to a team filled with scorers.

"Cody's a great player and he's going to be good for them, but I can't worry about Buffalo," Kassian said. "I've got a great chance ahead of me here to make a name for myself."

Said Hodgson: "Obviously, I was shocked initially, but the more you think about it, it was just a hockey trade. They got some good players and they're helping them win, and hopefully I can do the same in Buffalo. That's all I'm focused on."
For me, I'm liking the trade. Looks like Kassian is off to a great start with the Canucks.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Many new players on a team score in their first games - then go back to the type of play that got them traded in the first place.

Trade looked bad in the first loss with Luongo getting lit up for three. This guy was -2 in the first period?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Raymond IMO is a peripheral player. Lacks the necessary toughness to go to the front of the net. His speed is his biggest asset
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Raymond IMO is a peripheral player. Lacks the necessary toughness to go to the front of the net. His speed is his biggest asset
Agreed. Raymond is very marginal.

For a lightweight, who does not score, can't take the body, often falls down, he is a liability.

Come playoffs, I would rather see Bitz or Wiese on the 4th line, Raymond in the press box.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/business/fp/ ... story.html
Canucks continue to experiment with Kassian on second line

By Ben Kuzma, The Province
The Vancouver Canucks coach wants to know how his NHL trade deadline ingredients — Zack Kassian, Sami Pahlsson and Marc-Andre Gragnani — will react when mixed with the staples and he's got 16 games to draw the right kind of conclusion from this experiement.

In that respect, keeping Kassian on the second line with Ryan Kesler and David Booth on Tuesday against the Dallas Stars isn't that surprising. Either is demoting the struggling Mason Raymond to the fourth line — while also keeping the winger on the second power-play unit — and giving Gragnani a longer look on the back end to get his game in order with Aaron Rome. But Kassian's quick transition from curious to contributor in just three games has given the Canucks a combination that may create an explosion for all the right reasons.

"They've got speed, size and skill and two of three have a little edge," said Vigneault. "If it works out, it's a good line. Our scouts felt really highly that Kassian has the potential to be a top-six forward and get there fairly quick. How long that's going to take, I'm not quite sure. He has obviously caught our attention as far as the skill level and the physicality that he can bring. Like any young player, can he maintain it and will it continue? Those are the questions we're going to get answered."

The Kid could still be playing junior. :shock:

"skill level" "physicality"

"demoting the struggling Mason Raymond to the fourth line" Or to the press box.

"struggling"? ... As in can't score, can't body check, can't stay on his feet, can't avoid beaning his own goalie in warmup? Um Yeah.
Right now, Kassian is answering them all in stunning fashion. He could still be playing junior, but has played his way up from the fourth line in a hurry with a goal, an assist, eight shots, 16 hits and an even rating since being acquired from the Buffalo Sabres in a swap for Cody Hodgson. And when Kassian delivered a heavy hit in the neutral zone Saturday against the Sabres to spring Henrik and Daniel Sedin on an odd-man rush, it only added to his instant impact. Keep it up in this market and the budding power forward could become a Todd Bertuzzi 2.0 cult hero.
16 hits in 3 games, 2 of those goals against could hardly be attributed to him. Luongo was brain dead after being beaned by the sleep walking Mason Raymond in warmup.
"I didn't expect anything when I came here — I was just trying to get into the lineup, said the 6-foot-3, 214-pound Kassian. "I'm working hard because it can be taken away from you in a second and it's a privilege to play with those guys. I want to open up the ice as much as possible and give Kesler a little bit more time with the puck. My role is to be hard on the forecheck and create room and I'm just going to keep doing that."

:thup:
Kassian might best be suited as a two-way threat on the third line because he has good speed, is hard on the backcheck and a load to contain up front. Put him with Maxim Lapierre, who always seems to ramp up his game at this time of year, and Jannik Hansen and that's a line that could create havoc in transition and been defensively sound. That would mean Sami Pahlsson would slip to a fourth-line role with Manny Malhotra and depending on the matchup, it would either be Raymond or a more physical presence in Dale Weise or Byron Bitz filling out that alignment.
Bitz or Wiese in. Raymond out. :thup:

It would be nice to see the Sedins break out of whatever funk they are in.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After hours with Zack Kassian and then Kevin Bieksa ...

This Kid Kassian is an awesome young person. Full credit to his family for the way they hung together when the Dad died when Zack was just 8. :thup:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/324761-a ... an-bieksa/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was on the ASU golf course in Tempe when the trade came down. One buddy, a huge Canuck fan, is still bitter.......especially the next night when Kassian skated out wearing #9. :wink:

I thought it was a good deal. You hopefully fill needs be dealing from strength. Buffalo is woefully thin at centre. Vancouver is deep. Hodgson projects to a top 6 centre. With Kesler and Sedin being locked up long-term Cody would be relegated effectively out of position in the 3rd line slot unless he started playing the wing. In any draft there will be 3 or 4 Hodgson type players available. But big strong power forward type wingers who play with an edge come up maybe once every two or three drafts. While it would be foolish to think he will reach the same level I find an irony to this trade compared to another notorious Canuck deal a few years ago. Instead of dealing one away this time the Canucks acquired a Cam Neely style player for a highly regarded centre. The other part of this deal I think has been vastly overlooked by Canuck fans. Marc-Andre Gragnani is a nice addition providing defensive depth as well as solid offensive capabilities. If there is one thing the Canucks lacked outside of size and grit up front it was a d-man who can play the point on the PP. Turning 25 tomorrow Gragnani picked up 206 points in 263 career AHL games and had 7 points in 7 playoff games for Buffalo last year. With Sami Salo's ability to find a new way of getting hurt Gragnani could be damned handy. While all the talk has been about Kassian and Hodgson the Canucks actually filled two needs with this deal.

From Hockey's Future:
Talent Analysis - Zack Kassian

The 6'3, 205-pound right winger is a power forward prospect. He has imposing size and has shown a willingness to use it. While he may not have as much offensive upside as other forwards at the top of the draft order, Kassian's total package of size, checking, and energetic play make him an appealing addition to a club looking for a top-six forward who can open up the ice for other teammates. An ability to put the puck in the net adds to his value as he has proven he won't be an offensive liability with more skilled teammates.

Future

Kassian projects as an imposing power forward at the next level with good enough hands and hockey sense to potentially play on the second line someday. He uses his body effectively in the offensive zone and creates mismatches along the wall for opponents because of his strength. Kassian could ultimately end up anywhere from a fringe first liner to a scoring third liner depending on his development over the next few years.

Talent Analysis - Marc-Andre Gragnani

Gragnani is a well-rounded defenseman who plays with great tenacity. While he does not have one particular attribute that stands out, he is very capable and consistent. He is a solid passer, and plays with intelligence in the defensive zone. Though he is not an enforcer type, he is willing to sacrifice his body.

Future

After a stellar 2010-11 season that saw him win the Eddie Shore award as the AHL’s best defenseman, Gragnani will man the Sabres blue line in 2011-12. He signed a one year contract in August of 2011 and with a good showing could be in line for a long term extension by season’s end

From SLAM Sports:

Zack Kassian

ASSETS: Has tremendous size and strength, as well as the ability to dominate in the corners. Is aggressive, can fight and boasts a lot of scoring upside.

FLAWS: Is a questionable skater, which could hinder his ability to put up points at the highest level. Takes bad penalties on occasion.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Power forward with upside

Marc-Andre Gragnani

ASSETS: Skilled, he has a lot of offensive acumen from the blueline position, and is especially effective on the power play, where he moves the puck with aplomb. Has the makeup needed to log big minutes. Can also play forward if need be.

FLAWS: Lacks defensive polish and physicality. Also lacks consistency, which he will need in order to thrive at the highest level over time.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Offensive depth defenseman with upside.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Staubitz got the better of the kid tonight. Kudos to Kassian for coming to the aid of his teammates