Emmanuel Arceneaux

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

When I do pay any attention to the NFL it is for the Minnesota Vikings...that's where Joe Kapp went, so when I was old enough I supported the Vikes...and what a painful experience that has been...

I was just thinking about it this morning, and for a team that is 2-10, with a rookie QB, and probably the worst WR corp in the league, Arceneaux still hasn't gotten the call...and hey, I realize that Emmanuel is American, and his dream was to play in the NFL, plus the league minimum ($425,000US) salary is a top CFL salary, but he hasn't played...he isn't getting paid the league minimum sitting on the practise roster, and with the Vikings currently having the #2 pick overall, it is very likely that they will draft a WR early (probably with their 2nd round selection), and also sign one through FA...they already have Percy Harvin, and he isn't going anywhere, and they like the possession game that Michael Jenkins gives them with his size and hands.

So the chances of things getting better for Arceneaux before they get worse are slim and none....plus Arceneaux is not a youngster...he has only so many years within which to perform before he starts to lose physical attributes, such as speed, which he doesn't have a lot of...

Also, I am aware that if we re sign Arland Bruce there isn't really any place to put Arceneaux, but I thought it was worth pointing out with such a focus on Lion's players heading to the NFL...it can be a double edged sword...see Casey Printers...he needed to play to get better, and he didn't...his bad habits got worse and when he came back here, his leash was shortened...the same will be true to Emmanuel if he ever decides to come back...and remember, Arceneuax had a propensity for dropping footballs...if he loses a step, and drops a few, with his higher CFL salary, he could find himself "one and done" in this league...

Just a thought.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
joe kapp22
Legend

Good thinking MexicoCity, but Manny is not making the NFL minmum, he is making practice squad money, about 190k.

And yes, he should have seen the field by now for a bad Vikings team who has had turnover at Wr.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Is there a time limit on how many seasons a player can be on a NFL practice roster? Also, how many seasons on an NFL roster is needed to qualify for a pension?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

i) 3 seasons on the practice roster

ii) 4 seasons
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Double post
Last edited by TheLionKing on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Oops!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Yeah, if Justin Blackmon declares, as I expect he would, he'll likely be the first WR selected in 2012.
Blitz
Team Captain

If Arsenault really wanted to return to B.C. (and he wouldn't be getting NFL roster practice roster money) he could compete with Kierie Johnson for the shortside import receiver spot...although he would cost more for us under the SMS in that scenario. We also have Taylor on the practice roster and he could compete next year with Johnson at training camp for that import spot as well.

Hope we sign Arland Bruce..there was some question whether we had Bruce for one more season under his contract or whether he is a free agent.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:plus Arceneaux is not a youngster...he has only so many years within which to perform before he starts to lose physical attributes, such as speed, which he doesn't have a lot of...
He's 23.. doesn't get much younger than that
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sorry, the stat check I did showed Arceneaux at 27...at 23 he certainly has time on his side...but his dropsy issue won't get any better sitting on the bench...thanks for pointing that out.

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:If Arsenault really wanted to return to B.C. (and he wouldn't be getting NFL roster practice roster money) he could compete with Kierie Johnson for the shortside import receiver spot...although he would cost more for us under the SMS in that scenario. We also have Taylor on the practice roster and he could compete next year with Johnson at training camp for that import spot as well.

Hope we sign Arland Bruce..there was some question whether we had Bruce for one more season under his contract or whether he is a free agent.

And that is not going to happen Blitz...that import spot on our roster we could not possibly afford to pay more than $100.000 a year...and Arceneaux won't return for that kind of money.

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Manny was an absolute game breaker for the Lions.

Would love to have him back. Ya never know. The fact that he is getting no time with the Vikings gives us a bit of hope.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Arceneaux might well consider a return to the Lions depending on one factor - how much does he want to play? Arceneaux would be well positioned on a Lions team that has two slots who may well be in the last years of their careers. Geroy is coming back next year but what about the year after? Bruce is a bit of a wild card. He seems to run out of goodwill on whatever team he is on after time. I love the way he plays but this is now his 4th team. Is he still a team fav next year? He too is getting close to hanging them up regardless. The purrfect place for a receiver to be waiting in the wings. If EA doesn't get more of a chance by next season, he should consider coming back. If he can't make a gawd awful Vikings team, then how likely is it that he would make the active roster on any team in the NFL. That isn't meant to be a slight on his abilities, we have seen many athletes who didn't make it in the NFL who were better that many who do. Just seems the way of it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

That's true SP...Manny is sacrificing playing time and skill development for sitting on the bench, collecting an American paycheque, and being a victim of the numbers game. As I mentioned earlier, the Vikings are going to address the WR position in a big way this coming off season, likely through both the draft and FA...pushing EA back even further...and teams like the Vikings don't keep the same players on the practise roster forever...if you can't make the squad after one season of prepping, then they jettison the player for fresh meat...

I think Manny will come limping back to the CFL, wanting big dollars, and still possessing a case of the dropsies...

Albert Einstein
cat_daddy
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:Yeah, if Justin Blackmon declares, as I expect he would, he'll likely be the first WR selected in 2012.
I agree w/ Justin Blackmon being the first WR selected in the NFL draft. I'm an Okla State fan and have had the pleasure of watching him play the last two years. Very good player, even better person.