Jock Sanders - YouTube

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Lions will rush Sanders into action against Ticats

“If you don’t give him opportunities to do what he’s doing, you’ll never know: 1. If he knows what the hell he’s doing. And 2. If he can cope with the load he’s being given. I know he’s got the skill set,” Buono explained. “We had a guy like him two years ago -- Stefan Logan.”

Logan, a Pro Bowl alternate last year as a returner for the Detroit Lions, played one season for the B.C. Lions -- 2008 -- then signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a free agent. He set a Steelers’ kick-return yardage record in his rookie NFL season.

Sanders is a veritable cookie cutter clone of Logan, who is also five-foot-seven and four pounds shy of Sanders’ 181-pound playing weight. But while Logan caught on with an NFL team immediately, Sanders was cut loose after one training camp with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team which signed him as a free agent.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono must see something in Sanders he really likes. 4 practices and he's in the lineup leapfrogging Michael Smith who's been here most of the season.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Lions will rush Sanders into action against Ticats

“If you don’t give him opportunities to do what he’s doing, you’ll never know: 1. If he knows what the hell he’s doing. And 2. If he can cope with the load he’s being given. I know he’s got the skill set,” Buono explained. “We had a guy like him two years ago -- Stefan Logan.”

Logan, a Pro Bowl alternate last year as a returner for the Detroit Lions, played one season for the B.C. Lions -- 2008 -- then signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a free agent. He set a Steelers’ kick-return yardage record in his rookie NFL season.

Sanders is a veritable cookie cutter clone of Logan, who is also five-foot-seven and four pounds shy of Sanders’ 181-pound playing weight. But while Logan caught on with an NFL team immediately, Sanders was cut loose after one training camp with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team which signed him as a free agent.

Is it just me or does the two points Wally give seem rather contradictory of what we have seen since 2003. I hope that they verse him in the intricacies of the CFL P/K rules. Nothing worse than having the game on the line and the new recruit not aware of all the ways to score/prevent a rouge. At least this is something to look forward to in the game, that is if he is 75% of the comparison of Logan.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One of the things making the CFL a beautiful game is the abundance of talent available. It is very, very cool.

As Ken Miller noted, in his post loss rant, the talent in the CFL is about even everywhere. There is lots of it. It is the coaching IMO that makes the difference. Ummmm ... not so good on Miller.
joe kapp22
Legend

I'd thought Sanders was a clone of Logan, Wally is certainly moving with all speed to find out!

Great player in the NCAA, my goodness is he quick, but the different rules will be an issue for him imo.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Indeed, Sanders has been on their radar since he was placed on the CFL team’s negotiation list in 2008. After waiting that long, it’s perhaps not surprising that head coach and GM Wally Buono is giving him chance to start Saturday against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, even though Sanders has had less than a full week of practice with the team.
Still only 23, it seems he has been on the Lions' radar since 2008.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z1bKjOI5p2
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Indeed, Sanders has been on their radar since he was placed on the CFL team’s negotiation list in 2008. After waiting that long, it’s perhaps not surprising that head coach and GM Wally Buono is giving him chance to start Saturday against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, even though Sanders has had less than a full week of practice with the team.
Still only 23, it seems he has been on the Lions' radar since 2008.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z1bKjOI5p2

I like that he more or less embraces his height limitations and still displays an above average confidence level....
“I’ve been this size my whole life,” Sanders said. “But all I’ve done is make plays. That never bothered me, because I knew, once I stepped on the field, I was going to be one of the best players out there.”
Blitz
Team Captain

It will be interesting to see how Jock Sanders plays...and while you should always go with the best player available...I feel sorry for Michael Smith..who has been on the practice roster so long.

You hear about how players have to earn their way..eg: practices and special teams... and Smith has practiced for so long and yet Sanders comes in, practices four times and gets to start when Smith has patiently waited for an opportunity.

Hopefully Sanders will be the next Joystick...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hmmmm ... Looks so much like Stefan Logan.

A special talent. I can see why he jumped right up the depth chart.
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Hmmmm ... Looks so much like Stefan Logan.

A special talent. I can see why he jumped right up the depth chart.

Noel Divine as well as Pat White the Qb, though in Sanders' vid that is Smith or Brown at Qb, but Devine and White had the sort of game for the CFL, and I'd love to see them give it a shot.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

[quote="Blitz"]It will be interesting to see how Jock Sanders plays...and while you should always go with the best player available...I feel sorry for Michael Smith..who has been on the practice roster so long.

You hear about how players have to earn their way..eg: practices and special teams... and Smith has practiced for so long and yet Sanders comes in, practices four times and gets to start when Smith has patiently waited for an opportunity.

Hopefully Sanders will be the next Joystick...[/quote]

Hopefully when smith gets his shot he makes Wally look silly ala yonus Davis.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

When I heard Wally say on radio this morning "he's a lot like Tim Brown, just faster", my ears perked up. Then he said Sanders reminds him of Stephan Logan. I'm really excited to see this guy return a few on Saturday. Hopefully he busts his CFL cherry by returning one for a TD!
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:While Sanders obviously has speed and moves in the videos, I noticed he seems to be tackled very easily. One hand on him and he's down? :cr:
He did escape one tackle on the video, keeping his balance with his free hand pushing himself back up when he was all but down. That play reminded me of a play with Logan as well. Remember one thing, the CFL field size will be to his benefit when he is darting around like he can. :popcorn:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:[
He did escape one tackle on the video, keeping his balance with his free hand pushing himself back up when he was all but down. That play reminded me of a play with Logan as well. Remember one thing, the CFL field size will be to his benefit when he is darting around like he can. :popcorn:
True, the larger field can be a big advantage to a Logan-esque returner... but they have to understand how to use the bigger field in conjunction with their blockers. I think too often rookies to the Canadian game see how massive the field is and think they can simply run outside the coverage team as soon as they touch the ball, forgetting to use their blockers. To their surprise they end up getting tackled out of bounds after 5 or 10 yards. The big returns come when you the break the initial tackle or get a huge block at the start of the return. When that happens guys like Logan, Davis, Brown, etc. are off to the races on the expansive CFL field.