No margin of error for D-line - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news ... 5c353596da
No margin of error for D-line

Lions' front four can't afford any more injuries

Lowell Ullrich, The Province Published: Sunday, August 14, 2011
Aaron Hunt, who was a communications major in college, put it succinctly. "It's sickening," he said.

Khalif Mitchell, who also once had a similar career path, got his point across concisely too. "Scary," he concurred.

The two defensive line stalwarts on the B.C. Lions were not talking about the number of losses absorbed in the early going by the CFL team, but feeling they get when they see a teammate on the line lost to injury.
It was a feeling they hoped to avoid when they took on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Saturday at Empire Field, because when it happened earlier during the season, the Lions came close to hoisting a white flag.

The changing look of the Lions' defence this year has not always resulted in a corresponding addition in personnel along the defensive front.

Despite off-season suggestions that the Lions would sport more of a three-man look up front, that hasn't been the case on roughly six out of 10 plays this year.

The Lions have been a fourman defensive front in a fiveman rotation - and an effective one at that - though they took subordinate billing Saturday alongside the Bombers.
But defensive coordinator Mike Benevides has taken to dressing an extra linebacker in order to provide different coverage looks. Coach/GM Wally Buono calls linebacker Joe Henderson an extra defensive lineman, but at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, he hardly looks the part.

It's made the guys who are big enough to do the job show signs of concern.
"I'd much rather be four [down linemen] than three," Hunt said before Saturday's game.

"I understand why we have to be three at times, but no way we can get hurt; no way we can get tired. We don't have backups. When it happens, it's sickening. It's hurtful, because of the simple fact we're going to be overmatched somehow."
The worst feeling for Mitchell was watching fellow tackle Eric Taylor get hurt, which happened twice this year, but being unable to help out of uniform.

"The last time it happened [in Edmonton] I knew they didn't have anybody else," said Mitchell, who got the start for Taylor Saturday. "

I knew they were just going to run the ball, and that's what they did."
The Lions devised an off-season plan to use the quickness of Henderson and fellow linebacker Adam Leonard, but both have been injured.

Hunt, Mitchell and Taylor have adjusted to the added inside work. Keron Williams, Brent Johnson and newcomer Khreem Smith have given a nice push from the outside.

"I like it as a four-man rush," said Williams. "Both Khalif and [Taylor] are solid and it creates a chance for me, Khreem and [Johnson] to get after the quarterback."
But Benevides said playing defence can be like walking a tightrope.

"The quickest way to lose is if you don't have an extra cover guy in the lineup. It's the same as Wally's philosophy on offence [using] an extra offensive lineman," Benevides said. "Rosters evolve. You come out of camp with a philosophy but once you see how opponents play you there has to be change. And our [defensive linemen] are as good as anyone in the league right now."
There may have been an understandable dose of selfinterest when he spoke, but though he wasn't around to see it happen, Mitchell was accurate when he talked about the last time the Lions had a fearsome foursome.

"I heard [B.C.] won a Grey Cup [in 2006] with four down linemen," he said.

Any less may not be best.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No margin of error for D-line

Lions' front four can't afford any more injuries

Lowell Ullrich, The Province Published: Sunday, August 14, 2011
I have long thought that we need to suit up 6 D Linemen. Hardest position on the field to play, IMO. Gotta fight off the hogs. Gotta cover the field. Gotta chase down QBs. Gotta chase down running backs.
Aaron Hunt, who was a communications major in college, put it succinctly. "It's sickening," he said.

Khalif Mitchell, who also once had a similar career path, got his point across concisely too. "Scary," he concurred.

The two defensive line stalwarts on the B.C. Lions were not talking about the number of losses absorbed in the early going by the CFL team, but feeling they get when they see a teammate on the line lost to injury.
If one of our guys gets nicked, we have no depth.
It was a feeling they hoped to avoid when they took on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Saturday at Empire Field, because when it happened earlier during the season, the Lions came close to hoisting a white flag.

The changing look of the Lions' defence this year has not always resulted in a corresponding addition in personnel along the defensive front.

Despite off-season suggestions that the Lions would sport more of a three-man look up front, that hasn't been the case on roughly six out of 10 plays this year.

The Lions have been a fourman defensive front in a fiveman rotation - and an effective one at that - though they took subordinate billing Saturday alongside the Bombers.
So much for the 3.4 mis-experiment. The guys up front get gassed. No depth behind them. No pass rush.

I expect Wally is wanting more guys back in coverage. Gotta stop those embarrassing long TDs. Let the guys up front make do with an undermanned lineup. They will have to suck it up.
But defensive coordinator Mike Benevides has taken to dressing an extra linebacker in order to provide different coverage looks. Coach/GM Wally Buono calls linebacker Joe Henderson an extra defensive lineman, but at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, he hardly looks the part.

It's made the guys who are big enough to do the job show signs of concern.
LOL So, Coach/GM Wally Buono calls linebacker Joe Henderson an extra defensive lineman, huh? Well, I don't see Joe Henderson as being anywhere near big enough to take on an offensive tackle or guard.

Perhaps Wally is not seeing what he thinks he is seeing with Henderson. 6'2" 220 is not 250 or even 240.
"I'd much rather be four [down linemen] than three," Hunt said before Saturday's game.

"I understand why we have to be three at times, but no way we can get hurt; no way we can get tired. We don't have backups. When it happens, it's sickening. It's hurtful, because of the simple fact we're going to be overmatched somehow."

Good for Hunt and Mitchell for speaking out. "no way we can get hurt; no way we can tired. We don't have backups."

It is a head shaker.
The worst feeling for Mitchell was watching fellow tackle Eric Taylor get hurt, which happened twice this year, but being unable to help out of uniform.

"The last time it happened [in Edmonton] I knew they didn't have anybody else," said Mitchell, who got the start for Taylor Saturday. "

"The last time it happened [in Edmonton] I knew they didn't have anybody else," said Mitchell.

"didn't have anybody else" ... A head shaker.
The Lions devised an off-season plan to use the quickness of Henderson and fellow linebacker Adam Leonard, but both have been injured.

Hunt, Mitchell and Taylor have adjusted to the added inside work. Keron Williams, Brent Johnson and newcomer Khreem Smith have given a nice push from the outside.

"I like it as a four-man rush," said Williams. "Both Khalif and [Taylor] are solid and it creates a chance for me, Khreem and [Johnson] to get after the quarterback."
"devised an off-season plan" Hmmmmm ... Virtually abandoned now.
But Benevides said playing defence can be like walking a tightrope.

"The quickest way to lose is if you don't have an extra cover guy in the lineup. It's the same as Wally's philosophy on offence [using] an extra offensive lineman," Benevides said. "Rosters evolve. You come out of camp with a philosophy but once you see how opponents play you there has to be change. And our [defensive linemen] are as good as anyone in the league right now."
"extra cover guy"? So, go with an undermanned D Line? D'oh.

Blather from Benevides.

IMO the quickest way to lose in the CFL is if you don't get pressure on the QB. It starts up front.

"It's the same as Wally's philosophy on offence [using] an extra offensive lineman" ... Yeah, that is Wally all right. Play it conservatively. But Benevides is mixing up his comparison, when he says an extra O Lineman is like having an extra guy for coverage. ... Another head shaker.

"You come out of camp with a philosophy but once you see how opponents play you there has to be change." - Benevides. Oh yeah. The opposition sees what you are trying to do, and they force you to admit that you do not know how to run a 3.4, and that you do not have the personnel for it. If Wally had his way, he would have 9 men on deep coverage, with an undermanned 3 man D Line, to avoid embarrassing long TDs.
Rammer
Team Captain

You would think that Wally would learn from last year going in with only 5 DL and then having one go down, only to lose the game as a result. To see it again in the Eskimo game was just mind boggling, but this time I was more prepared for how devastating it would be, and as well as the boys filled in the rest of the game, they just didn't have game by the end. The only beneficiery of the limited DL is Aaron Hunt's body building challenge with Valli. :popcorn:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Anglophone
All Star

Sorry, this article is no longer available.
Wait, figured it out. Your first post has an error in the link.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Anglophone wrote:
Sorry, this article is no longer available.
Wait, figured it out. Your first post has an error in the link.
The link in both the posts works for me.

Here it is again.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another example of mismanaging personnel. Why dress Paris Jackson if all he's going to do is special teams ? Take him out and insert a backup lineman. If need be, Jamal Lee can fill in as backup receiver if need be.
Anglophone
All Star

No, I really did figure it out this time. My computer is having... issues. It works fine on the other.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Another example of mismanaging personnel. Why dress Paris Jackson if all he's going to do is special teams ? Take him out and insert a backup lineman. If need be, Jamal Lee can fill in as backup receiver if need be.
PJ was in civvies on Saturday.

Steve Williams I heard made two sacks for the Patriots but got cut. What about him.

LU is really banging out the stories this game and there are some very sharp barbs for the Lions braintrust of Buono, Benevides and Chapdelaine.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

Last yr, at this time,, we went to 1-6 after losing to the Riders 37-13, our worst loss of 2010.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Buono said in training camp they were switching to the 3-4 because they couldn't find a DE. Now, halfway through the season and the DL is still short-staffed? Doesn't make sense.
And all the guys they brought in as rush ends, found wanting. I think Buono and Benevides are operating on the premise that a guy as good as Cam Wake is what they want. Well, that guy ain't available. And so they go short staffed in the D Line. They mistakenly figure they can get by with Leonard/Henderson as kind of D Linemen from the 3.4. But they don't know how to make the 3.4 work.
...all the while the DL players are facing anxiety attacks because they have no backup? Makes no sense. :dizzy:
I also think Buono's greatest fear on defence is giving up the long ball. So he wants to make sure they have "the extra cover guy" available. A DB. We have loads of DBs on the roster. But to make them available we go short staffed on the D Line.

"The quickest way to lose is if you don't have an extra cover guy in the lineup." - Benevides

To me, this is fear outweighing practicality. To me, stopping the long ball, or even a march down the field, begins with pressure up front. It seems to me you need enough D Linemen suited up to keep them fresh. I've long wished for us to suit up 6 D Linemen, rotate them in.

To me, it is misplaced coaching priorities causing anxiety amongst our D Linemen. Drop one of our seldom used running backs. Drop Arakgi or Muamba, who get no reps on defence. Drop a receiver who gets no reps. Drop one of the seven O Linemen who gets no O reps.

I would rather see one less O Lineman, or running back, or receiver, or DB on the roster than a short staffed D Line.

"The last time it happened [Taylor getting hurt in Edmonton] I knew they didn't have anybody else," said Mitchell, who got the start for Taylor Saturday. "

To me, it is ridiculous to have a short staffed D Line. These guys, more than any others on the field, IMO, need to be fresh. You need depth to rotate them in. I think, for Wally, they are not the last line of defence, and that is why he tries to get by with a mimimum crew in games. Go with 6.

This is just one problem on the team, but I would say it is a big one.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Another example of mismanaging personnel. Why dress Paris Jackson if all he's going to do is special teams ? Take him out and insert a backup lineman. If need be, Jamal Lee can fill in as backup receiver if need be.
PJ was in civvies on Saturday.
Sorry, I was referring to earlier games
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Buono said in training camp they were switching to the 3-4 because they couldn't find a DE. Now, halfway through the season and the DL is still short-staffed? Doesn't make sense.
And all the guys they brought in as rush ends, found wanting. I think Buono and Benevides are operating on the premise that a guy as good as Cam Wake is what they want. Well, that guy ain't available. And so they go short staffed in the D Line. They mistakenly figure they can get by with Leonard/Henderson as kind of D Linemen from the 3.4. But they don't know how to make the 3.4 work.
...all the while the DL players are facing anxiety attacks because they have no backup? Makes no sense. :dizzy:
I also think Buono's greatest fear on defence is giving up the long ball. So he wants to make sure they have "the extra cover guy" available. A DB. We have loads of DBs on the roster. But to make them available we go short staffed on the D Line.

"The quickest way to lose is if you don't have an extra cover guy in the lineup." - Benevides

To me, this is fear outweighing practicality. To me, stopping the long ball, or even a march down the field, begins with pressure up front. It seems to me you need enough D Linemen suited up to keep them fresh. I've long wished for us to suit up 6 D Linemen, rotate them in.

To me, it is misplaced coaching priorities causing anxiety amongst our D Linemen. Drop one of our seldom used running backs. Drop Arakgi or Muamba, who get no reps on defence. Drop a receiver who gets no reps. Drop one of the seven O Linemen who gets no O reps.

I would rather see one less O Lineman, or running back, or receiver, or DB on the roster than a short staffed D Line.

"The last time it happened [Taylor getting hurt in Edmonton] I knew they didn't have anybody else," said Mitchell, who got the start for Taylor Saturday. "

To me, it is ridiculous to have a short staffed D Line. These guys, more than any others on the field, IMO, need to be fresh. You need depth to rotate them in. I think, for Wally, they are not the last line of defence, and that is why he tries to get by with a mimimum crew in games. Go with 6.

This is just one problem on the team, but I would say it is a big one.
IR reading an article that stated (LU IIRC) Wally's favourite part of watching the game tapes is the QB sacks. With that in mind, you would think that the DL would also be the area from which he would want to have the most strength from. With Wally some things don't add up, and if the talent doesn't greatly surpass the oppositions, his X and O's guys get exposed.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this. Success on defense is predicated on pressure up front.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this. Success on defense is predicated on pressure up front.

DH :cool:
Watching a defence that gets pressure up front is SURE FUN TO WATCH. Just like offence, the linemen get the grunt work done and often another player gets the glory. On offence they are called recievers, on defence the secondary........