important passport question

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

just found out my wifes passport expired last month - anyone know of a way to get into canada and back to usa again without a passport - a travel card or something that can be obtained reasonably within a few days?

steve
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:just found out my wifes passport expired last month - anyone know of a way to get into canada and back to usa again without a passport - a travel card or something that can be obtained reasonably within a few days?

steve
Are you driving Steve? If so, not sure from your side of the Border, but I believe that we have a Driver License for an extra cost that can be used, not sure of the timeline for getting it back. I think that you are going to find it difficult. Hope some of US membership can help you out, one game per season is all you get to see in Vancouver with Buck. Good luck. :thup: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
the-real-hugo
Rookie

not sure of your specific situation, but if you need that passport, they can turn it around in emergencies in 24 hours for an extra 70 bucks...
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/urgent.aspx?la ... ion=Canada
D
Team Captain

just bring as much ID as you can including that expired passport. They may question you but they will let you in :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
ziggy
Legend

Your biggest problem will be getting home. You would be wise to check with US authorities.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:Your biggest problem will be getting home. You would be wise to check with US authorities.
True. The U.S. and Canada both issue rush passports on short notice, for an extra charge. Pay it and get some peace of mind. Your wife may have to report in person to the nearest passport office, and I don't know how much of an inconvenience that would be. There is a 24-hour U.S. hotline to call for information.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:Your biggest problem will be getting home. You would be wise to check with US authorities.
I now see the problem. The renewal times in the US for Passports make it impossible to renew before your trip.
Does your wife have a valid Passport CARD from the US? That works as well.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_ca ... _3921.html

I now see that your best advice will likely come from (US citizens) who have driven up and back in recent times. I have just entered and exited the US via air since the tighter rules. One good thing is that you and your wife hardly fit the profile they'd be on the look out for.

This US website is pretty clear as to what US citizens require on re-entry via land (BUT passport is a must via Air.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements

"When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

American travelers are urged to obtain WHTI-compliant documents before entering Canada well in advance of their planned travel. For the most recent information on WHTI and WHTI-compliant documents, please see the U.S. Department of State’s WHTI website or the Customs and Border Patrol website.
One of the WHTI-compliant documents for crossing the land border is the U.S. Passport Card. The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. American citizens can visit The U.S. Department of State's website or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports. "

Entry to Canada is this: and if you go to WHTI website it says :Passport or Passport CARD .. not sure what the CARD means.

"A visa is not required for U.S. citizens to visit Canada for up to 180 days. ..

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity.

A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 18 must present proof of citizenship and identity."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MacNews
Team Captain

You can get a rush passport which is pricey, or buy a PASS card. That's a small drivers licence-sized card that allows you to cross into Canada by a land border only.

http://www.uspasscard.com/

I don't think California has the Enhanced Drivers Licence which can also be used to cross a land border, so the PASS card is your best choice.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MacNews.. his problem is the timeline. He wants to come for Aug. 13 game and even this passport card timelines are well beyond that.

Believe it or not but US passport timelines for Expedited passports exceed Canadian time frames for regular passports.

If they take a chance and bring the expired passport with them - they are travelling as husband and wife - they might get by okay.
MacNews
Team Captain

If I remember correctly, if you apply at a US Post Office instead of mailing your application, the processing times for Expedited service are even quicker.
bclions16
Champion

Border crossings got tough after 2001, and even tougher after 2009. Bottom line, DO NOT cross the border without the proper documents (as TV listed above). You must prove citizenship or official status to enter the US, period. Without a passport or one of the accepted alternative documents for land crossings, you can't prove your wife is a US citizen or authorized alien. A standard driver's license does not prove citizenship.

Of course they won't make you stand on the border forever. They have a database in which they can look you up and ask very personal questions about your life to prove who you are. I'm serious, I've seen this a few times. They'll ask about parents, high school, friends, jobs, income, etc etc. It's a big pain in the butt for them to do this, so don't expect service with a smile. AND if they suspect you knowingly left the country without proper return documents, expect a HUGE hassle and delay.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
mightybuck
Legend

i have checked into all the options and its not going to happen - cant believe i didnt check our passports a couple of months ago ..just didnt realize 10 years had passed since she got hers.. man...so disappointed

steve

i will make some phone calls but yes dont need the problem getting back in...my wife get confused easier with her life threatening surgery of 18 months ago so i dont need to make this a hassle for her..the last thing she needs is stress, hassle and questions at the border

thanks for all the suggestions and help ...looks like next year
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:i have checked into all the options and its not going to happen - cant believe i didnt check our passports a couple of months ago ..just didnt realize 10 years had passed since she got hers.. man...so disappointed

steve

i will make some phone calls but yes dont need the problem getting back in...my wife get confused easier with her life threatening surgery of 18 months ago so i dont need to make this a hassle for her..the last thing she needs is stress, hassle and questions at the border

thanks for all the suggestions and help ...looks like next year
You have to be happy with the way the Bombers are playing as well, tough one Steve, but now you can cheer for the Lions and Buck won't see you...:)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:Border crossings got tough after 2001, and even tougher after 2009. Bottom line, DO NOT cross the border without the proper documents (as TV listed above). You must prove citizenship or official status to enter the US, period. Without a passport or one of the accepted alternative documents for land crossings, you can't prove your wife is a US citizen or authorized alien. A standard driver's license does not prove citizenship.

Of course they won't make you stand on the border forever. They have a database in which they can look you up and ask very personal questions about your life to prove who you are. I'm serious, I've seen this a few times. They'll ask about parents, high school, friends, jobs, income, etc etc. It's a big pain in the butt for them to do this, so don't expect service with a smile. AND if they suspect you knowingly left the country without proper return documents, expect a HUGE hassle and delay.

Do they ask US citizens for their passports in the car entering Canada and when they go home? Or do they just select certain vehicles and people for checks?

I hardly think Steve and his wife will look like drug smugglers or terrorists. Will they even get asked for passports when they exit Canada or just where they have been and why? the old passport might work....