BC Lions or Vancouver Lions?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

With this year's slogan being "The Pride of All BC", I was really hoping that the team would be doing more things in the Interior, on the Island-you know....ALL BC. So I was kind of excited to see that they are launching a game day BC Lions donut at some Tim Hortons locations: http://bclions.com/article/tim-hortons- ... ut-supreme. Now as it turns out, it's only at select LM locations. This is just the last in a long string of things where fans in the rest of BC are left out. I think it's time they reverted to the old North Shore Lions name from way back when, or just the Vancouver Lions. Would make more sense.
Real women wear orange!!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

If we could go back and start it over again they really should have been called the Vancouver Lions; they are after all are Vanouver's team. They belong to the city and only play in the city. But oh well I'm used to the name now even though it's not accurate. So I'm fine with it.. but, it doesn't mean that Vancouver's team should be trancing around the province doing special things...
the-real-hugo
Rookie

I guess if I have to go to Vancouver to watch a Lions game, I"ll have to go to Vancouver to get a yummy doughnut...not fair but watcha gonna do :sigh:
ps - keep it as BC Lions!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

those poor wpg fans would have a hard time chanting "Vancouver sucks".

It would be interesting to hear half of them trying to do so while the other half stuck with BC sucks :wink: :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:With this year's slogan being "The Pride of All BC", I was really hoping that the team would be doing more things in the Interior, on the Island-you know....ALL BC. So I was kind of excited to see that they are launching a game day BC Lions donut at some Tim Hortons locations: http://bclions.com/article/tim-hortons- ... ut-supreme. Now as it turns out, it's only at select LM locations. This is just the last in a long string of things where fans in the rest of BC are left out. I think it's time they reverted to the old North Shore Lions name from way back when, or just the Vancouver Lions. Would make more sense.

Can't be everywhere during the season, but the Lions do make inroads with other communities in the off season and TC has been spread around recently and in the past.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:If we could go back and start it over again they really should have been called the Vancouver Lions; they are after all are Vanouver's team. They belong to the city and only play in the city. But oh well I'm used to the name now even though it's not accurate. So I'm fine with it.. but, it doesn't mean that Vancouver's team should be trancing around the province doing special things...
Well they don't do that now anyway, so....no difference. It would be a nice streamline for you guys. Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Lions. Seamless.... :cool:

The transition could even apply to the fight song:

...from the mountains to the sea
you are the pride of the GVRD

See? It works! And you could shorten it to the GV Lions for the poor Bomber fans ;)

And I'll spend $300 to go to a Lions game, but damned if I'll spend $300 for a donut.
Real women wear orange!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

and they should change BC Place to Vancouver Place as well :wink:
Spud387
Champion

Do you think the Florida Panthers represent all of Florida? There is another team in Florida (Tampa Bay)

Do you think the Carolina Hurricanes represent both North AND south Carolina?

Minnesota Wild?

[insert one of many NFL teams]

etc etc

The only time I feel this is an issue is if the province/state has more than one team.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I prefer the BC Lions. IIRC, home field crowds used to chant B....C....B...C... That chant really sounded awesome when a teenager fan (me!) would listen to BC Lions games on the BC Lion radio network....Sounded like the team was our provinces team, not just Vancouver.

That being said, I wish it made sense financially for Timmy's to sell the Lions donut at all BC locations (I'm guessing sales # is why they only sell in the lower mainland, but who knows...). I live in Vancouver and I still haven't gotten around to trying one yet.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Forget the donuts people... they are loaded with trans fat and are extremely unhealthy.

Now on the other hand we have gin ' n ' tonic... now there's something worth thinkin' about. :beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've long wanted to know the geographical breakdown of Lions season ticketholders. I suspect there's a majority from outside the city of Vancouver, with many of us from south of the Fraser River. Since the team is based in Surrey, maybe it should be called the Surrey Lions. :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I could go for Canada Lions :cool:
QB Club 63
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:I could go for Canada Lions :cool:
I think Translink already has that one under copyright. :wink:

CatsEyes, I hope your tongue is well-planted in your cheek, because getting riled up about something Timmy's is doing that is completely out of the team's control borders on treason! What's next? Will you be telling us you have Rider green jammies? :wag:

(BTW, my nephew says the sprinkles they use for the BC Lions donuts are exactly the same as the ones the use on their Hallowe'en donuts, so you should be able to find them at your local TH come October.) :beer:

EDIT: Oops! Sorry about that! When I wrote that last comment I hadn't yet gone to the link you provided to check out the new version of the Lions donut. That's vastly different from last year's and I'm not certain it will be better - yet. I'll get back to you... :roar:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Doughnuts? Thanks but no thanks — WADR I'll gladly support this other team sponsor in my Lions-related eating habits.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
Lionheart wrote:If we could go back and start it over again they really should have been called the Vancouver Lions; they are after all are Vanouver's team. They belong to the city and only play in the city. But oh well I'm used to the name now even though it's not accurate. So I'm fine with it.. but, it doesn't mean that Vancouver's team should be trancing around the province doing special things...
Well they don't do that now anyway, so....no difference. It would be a nice streamline for you guys. Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Lions. Seamless.... :cool:

The transition could even apply to the fight song:

...from the mountains to the sea
you are the pride of the GVRD

See? It works! And you could shorten it to the GV Lions for the poor Bomber fans ;)

And I'll spend $300 to go to a Lions game, but damned if I'll spend $300 for a donut.
Vancouver Whitecaps ? Who are they ? ??? I thought the name of Vancouver's soccer team is the Bells