Federer - World Class Class

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was just watching Wimbledon highlights and saw something worthy of note. Now I've never been a tennis fan nor bothered to watch it on TV. However on my last trip to the UK 4 years ago I had one last day and decided to go out to Wimbledon to see if I could get a ticket. I had no reason to go other than to add another notch on my belt for attendance at sporting events. After all was said and done I came away thomkig that was pretty damned cool.

Earlier today media tried to give Federer the easy way out by suggesting he just had a bad day. He quickly shot that down giving Tsongas full credit for the win as should be expected when you are down the the finals 8. What most impressed me about Federer was the wayhe conducted himself after he had lost. Instead of tossing his rackets into his bag and exiting ASAP he quietly put his gear away and waited for Tsongas to have.a bit of a pozt game celebration of his own. Then he walked off together with Tsongas. Only after Tsongas stopped to sign autographs did Federer continue on to the locker room. Total class.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I agree about Federer's total class act.

It is unfortunate for him that just when he was about to be annointed the best player ever, along comes Rafael Nadal. Nadal has just the right game to beat Federer. And Nadal has an unusual game. So fast. Such powerful ground strokes. So much character.

I started out kind of resenting Nadal's dominance over Federer.

But now I see Nadal as totally classy too. Always gracious to Federer.

Both men have gone a long way to transform the disgusting days of Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase, all of whom dragged down tennis to its lowest levels of class ever. IMO ... All great players by the way, but total brats.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I stopped watching Wimbledon when I was a teenager. I think at the time I loved seeing the meltdowns Connors and especially McEnroe would have. I have read some of McEnroe's recent comments about his tennis days and he regrets his attitude from those days. Blaming umpires, injuries, noisy fans etc... just let him off the hook. By looking for excuses he helped himself not take the steps to get better.

Federer does sound awesome in terms of classiness. All I know is the short blurbs you catch on the sportscasts. Hope he gets to win one more Wimbledon down the road.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Federer is classy but he was too modest in that interview in truth but he also didn't want to take anything away from Tsongas. Despite a good start he was like the announcers said - just not his usual self. It was not his best match ever as he was ever so slightly off his top game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy