Hats

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

So, I have a big head. No, not because of the passport, because I have a big head. A size 8 head. The only head I've ever seen, up close, that I can say is definitively larger than mine is Barry Bonds. He's an 8.5 easily. (And his teeth are purrfect).

As such, standard size hats, snapbacks and "One Size Fits All" flex fit hats don't fit me. As I do need to wear hats (outdoors, bald, you understand) I look for fitted hats.

This eliminates every BC Lions hat ever made by any manufacturer. Which is disappointing, because I'd wear a Lions hat until it fell apart.

As some of you may know, New Era finally got around to making CFL hats. The retros, unfortunately, were snapbacks.

But I held out hope that the 59fifty's would be fitted, and sure enough, they are.

Alas, no 8s. Or anything larger than a 7 1/2. Unless you're a Riders fan, in which case there's a 7 5/8ths out there.

I would imagine this was a problem if you had a small head as well. I have more than one friend who wears a 6 7/8ths, for example.

This is probably all just a vent on my part. I don't make this complaint relative to clothing/shirt sizes, because that varies by weight, and weight is my responsibility. Head size, unless you're on steroids, is much more of a genetic thing. And I'm certainly willing to pay a premium for just a couple of fitted hats that would actually fit my head.

Normally, I'd let this just sort of roll and move on without doing too much venting. Except that I can walk into the team store of a Class A baseball team that plays 20 minutes from my house, and buy a hat with their logo on it in an eight. I can drive 90 minutes to the team store of a Class AAA baseball team and buy one of their hats in an 8, or even an 8 1/4. Both are 59fiftys, made by New Era. So I know they exist, I can reasonably conclude that I'm not the only person on earth with an abnormally large head, and I know that they are manufactured in those sizes for markets and teams with a much smaller reach than any CFL team. I mean, would you even know who the Lake County Captains are without me mentioning it to you?

So I'm compelled to wonder out loud three questions:

1) Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me?

2) What exactly is the problem here?

3) Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can special order these in a size that might actually fit me? I'm not even that picky about brand or design at this point (black is preferred), I'd just like a couple of hats that fit, you know?