New conference re: Yonus Davis scheduled for 10:00am

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

The club will be announcing its decision regarding Yonus Davis's status with the club. Wally has done his due diligence and investigated as best he can. Trust me, Yonus is such an exceptional talent, I am sure they've tried every angle to be able to keep him. But given the magnitude of the charges, I am positive the club will sever ties today, or at the very least suspend him (but I'm guessing the former).

This is a major setback for the organization. He wasn't just a good returner, he was a game changer who got fans out of their seats. How many games did we win last year, principally because he tilted the field in our favour and we scrimmaged from the opponent's side of the field (does Calgary come to mind? Sure, many drives ending in field goals, but still....)? We may find an adequate replacement, but it's doubtful we can find such a dangerous threat every time he touches the ball - returning or out of the backfield. :sigh:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

It's official. He's been released. :bawl:

article here

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rodu
Champion

Not much you can do when a player can't cross the border
Gerry
Legend

It's the right decision for the club, but it sure sucks to lose that kind of talent.
Enough is enough.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Cue an Eskimos signing in 5, 4, 3, 2...... ;)
Real women wear orange!!
Big Time
Champion

Yonus made an incredibly foolish decision that left the Lions with no choice. I would not want him on the team after what he has done. Wally has to uphold the integrity of his team and he has always had a hard line about these types of indiscretions. He made the right call today. I have full confidence that Wally will be able to find someone who can replace Yonus as his track record on running backs and kick returners over the years has been outstanding.
kacbru
prospect

Big Time wrote:Yonus made an incredibly foolish decision that left the Lions with no choice. I would not want him on the team after what he has done. Wally has to uphold the integrity of his team and he has always had a hard line about these types of indiscretions. He made the right call today. I have full confidence that Wally will be able to find someone who can replace Yonus as his track record on running backs and kick returners over the years has been outstanding.
Robert Jordan? Ryan Grice Mullen? Stefan Logan and Yonus were outstanding, but I don't have the confidence that guys like that are as easy to find as you suggest.
Big Time
Champion

Joe Smith, Martell Mallett, Logan, Davis. Every year Wally finds somebody. Wally has always said that RB's are the easiest position to replace. His track record proves it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It is sad that so many of these young men get caught up in stuff that illegal. And of course it is sad to get our hopes up as football fans only to have them let down.

Yonus Davis was an exceptional talent. Anybody could see that, although ironically he was not given his chance with the Lions until Wally finally saw the light and gave up on Robert Jordan.

I don't know if I have ever seen such an explosive kick returner. And it looked like he could be much the same as a running back.

Gone now. Time to forgetaboudit.

Yes, Wally always finds a running back.

But IMO kick returners of note have been few and far between for our Lions in Wally's time here. And I would have to say kick returners in the CFL, with the big field, are game breakers. Ya gotta have one. Ya just gotta have a game breaker. IMO they are not that easy to find. Ian Smart was very, very good (ST player of the year). Yonus Davis was even better. I would count us fortunate if we can find someone even of Ian Smart's status.

Wally was enamored of Ryan Grice-Mullen, and seemingly with Robert Jordan as well. They got loads of opportunities to show some productivity. Personally I disbelieved in their potential from the get-go. We all have our first impressions. Ian Smart I liked right away: steady, not the greatest take it to the house guy, but steady. Yonus Davis was a threat to take it to the house any time he touched the ball.

Here's hoping Roy Shivers can find a gem for us.

Yonus, get used to them bars, Kid. You made some really bad decisions.

IMO ... even coaches get it wrong sometimes, let alone us fans.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Yonus was also a threat to fumble when he touched the ball...high risk, high reward. Most of us seem to forget how many times he put the rock on the ground

Regardless of talent, it was a must to release him with the baggage he now has. I doubt he plays anywhere else in the league, if ever again. What a waste.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
ziggy
Legend

If I remeber correctly Smart had some issues hanging on to the ball as well.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Davis was the type of player where you'd think he was going nowhere and then 'WHHOOOP' he's squirmed out and running home free. I know his teammates deserve some credit but Davis seemed to be a large part of our return game successes. Looks like he's gonna be tacked for a big loss due to some unfortunate choices. Regardless, it was still fun to watch him for the short time he was here. Definately IMO, the team did the right thing by cutting Davis loose.
Tighthead
Legend

Did they actually have a press conference to say "we are dumping the guy who can't come across the border and seems to have admitted taking delivery of 67 pounds of E"?

That seems like turning light work into heavy lifting. Tweet that.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

who found Davis... Shivers or WB? If this was a Shivers discovery, then I'd start to worry that there may be a few more bad apples in Leo land. Remember, Shivers seemed to have no qualms signing players of dubious character when he was in Saskatchewan....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:who found Davis... Shivers or WB? If this was a Shivers discovery, then I'd start to worry that there may be a few more bad apples in Leo land. Remember, Shivers seemed to have no qualms signing players of dubious character when he was in Saskatchewan....
Shivers is the bird dog. But Wally decides who comes to camp, who makes the team. I would not put the character issue on Roy so much, or even necessarily on Wally. A lot of these athletes from poor homes live on the edge. It is part of what makes them special as athletes.

I don't fault the Lions for the recruiting efforts. There will be some duds. And do not some of these guys deserve a chance? Roy and Wally would not know about any legal issues Davis had prior to his arrival with the Lions.

I'm not condoning bad character guys on the team. I just see this issue a bit differently than you. I don't fault Roy or Wally in this case.

Just IMO ...