2011 Vancouver Canucks Season Stretch / Presidents' Trophy

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will the Vancouver Canucks win the 2011 Presidents' Trophy?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 12
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As they are finishing up their 40th season in franchise history, the Vancouver Canucks have never led the league with less than 1.5 months remaining in the regular season. Is this their season of destiny? For more than a number of times that I would care to count, the Canucks were struggling to simply get a playoff spot. And then in the last 20 years the team have won a few division titles but since the current playoff realignment in 1994, the Canucks have never finished higher than third in the Western Conference. And now with a 15 point lead winning the Northwest division is guaranteed and a 7 point lead in the Western conference the Canucks are in great shape to fininish first in the conference. Of course, the playoffs are another story altogether but obviously a good regular season always results in much hope and optimism. For the first time in franchise history, the Canucks are fighting for the NHL Presidents’ Trophy with the Philadelphia Flyers. Do you think the Canucks will win the Presidents’ Trophy?

Going with superstitions though, it looks like winning that trophy can give a sense of overconfidence and since that trophy was introduced in 1996, for many teams who won it for the FIRST time didn’t get passed the second round of the playoffs:

1986 – Edmonton Oilers
1988 – Calgary Flames
1991 – Chicago Blackhawks
1992 – New York Rangers
1993 – Pittsburgh Penguins
2000 – St. Louis Blues
2009 – San Jose Sharks
2010 – Washington Capitals

While the others first time winners lost in the conference finals with the exception of the 1990 Boston Bruins and 1995 Detroit Red Wings made it to the finals before losing the Stanley Cup final.

Good luck to Daniel Sedin in capturing these pair of trophies that his twin brother won last year.
ImageImage

Same thing to Ryan Kesler who deserves winning this one.

Do you think Mike Gillis will make any trades before the trade deadline? With all the injuries in defence, I’m sure he will to get a healthy defence man although it’s good that Sami Salo has returned. Hopefully Bieksa, Edler, and Alberts will be ready come playoff time. :cr:
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, how often in the last 20 years has a conference winner won the cup?

how often has both conference winner been in the cup final?

as the Canucks and the Flyers are my fav two teams, followed by Detroit, 0ne would expect great playoffs, but I am expecting them to be "upsetting"

But hey, there is always the Sharks, Coyotes, Bruins and Rangers to fall back on.

A canucks flyers final. Stuff that dreams are made of. :cr:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Anglophone
All Star

I think we will, and then, in true Canucks fashion, we will utterly destroy ourselves in the playoffs.
Don Miller
Legend

Yes when the going gets tough the Canucks will suck.. Philly and Detroit still have that Trophy in site. Luongo has yet to prove he is a playoff goaltender. NACFan. There are a lot of hungry teams who have been and will continue to play playoff hockey just to get to the playoffs. Hope my Hawks get to play them again even with all the changes they have had to make since the Cup win. Sometimes you don't want to get what you wish for..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Because of the stupid, unnecessary, lock out season, the Canucks are playing their 40th season. (not to get technical Robbie)

Looks like it's going to be pretty close on the President's trophy, I'm not a big believer of superstition, your either good enough to win it all, or your not.

I, like so many others here, have been waiting a long time for a Stanley cup champion in Vancouver, this season is shaping up to be one of their best chances. Losing Edler was a big blow, I just hope he is in game shape enough when he gets back.

One thing that worries me about the Canucks winning it all is that, looking at the past Stanley cup winners, most of them get to the finals, lose, then get back to the finals and win, not all ways but there are quite a few times this has happened. Hopefully this theory is wrong and they go all the way, like Tampa did a few years back.

This is the best Luongo has looked in years, so if the Canucks are healthy in the playoffs, look out.
Bighill is Badass
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

AC/DC Rocks wrote:
One thing that worries me about the Canucks winning it all
Nothing worries me about the Canucks winning it all.....40 years is a long wait and the tease from 1994 did not make it any easier.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I voted no. I think the Canucks have a better chance to go far in the playoffs. IMO, the Presidents trophy isn't a big deal.

Yes the Canucks have struggled at times throughout their history. But, how have their expansion siblings (the Sabres, IIRC) done in terms of making it deep into the playoffs. I loved the long 82 run and obviously the 94 run was a nailbiter. I really don't think the Canucks have done that badly. Of course, needing to win is probably why the Canadians, Rangers etc... are usually close. I'm going to enjoy these playoffs regardless of where the Canucks finish in the regular season.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

we're gonna eat someones lunch.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:we're gonna eat someones lunch.
that sounds revolting :puke:
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

it happens.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
AC/DC Rocks wrote:
One thing that worries me about the Canucks winning it all
Nothing worries me about the Canucks winning it all.....40 years is a long wait and the tease from 1994 did not make it any easier.
keep the faith Andrew ! (your not being facetious right?)
Bighill is Badass
Robbie
Hall of Famer

No April Fool's Joke, despite the poll indicating otherwise the Canucks have clinched the 2011 Presidents' Trophy! :rockin:

Way to go, ;canucks: !

With a comfortable lead in the scoring race, Daniel Sedin will likely with the Art Ross trophy which would usually bring him the Hart trophy as well. Maybe his twin can win the Ted Lindsay trophy that he missed out on last season.

And if Cory Schneider plays the remaining games, he and Luongo may be able to share the William M Jennings trophy.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

unfortunately, history has not been kind to presidents trophy winners.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

WHO CARES ! GET IT WHILE YOU CAN BECAUSE BEFORE TOO LONG IT'LL ALL BE GONE.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, I was wrong. I voted "NO" and the Canucks proved me wrong. I still don't know if they are going to go all the way and win. I'd love to be proven wrong again! I've been cheering for the Canucks since I was four!