More on Cam Wake's All pro Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

strait8
Starter

For those who want measurables on Cam Wake's domination of the Pass Rush Stats in NFL. please check out this article which digs a little deeper. Enjoy!
http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/12/8/ ... her-an-all
Willie Fleming is the Best Lion ever!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting article. We're fortunate to have him in BC for a couple of seasons.
Rammer
Team Captain

When you consider how often he was held without getting a call, you really have to appreciate his CFL time. I even see the occasional blatant hold in the NFL on him that goes uncalled. I think that his angle around the end contributes to the holding that has to be taken on him, as he is still able to power as he is nearly at a 45 degree angle. Special player, that has a lunch box mentality, a great combination.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

Happy for Cam, however I want BC to find the next Cam.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I recall at the time Wake was about to make the move to the NFL a Seahawks scout commenting that it was all very well for Wake to be dominant against CFL linemen but that he would be handled by NFL tackles. Wrong again, NFL scout.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thnx, strait.

Always happy to hear Cam's kicking ass down in the big ole No Fun League.
rb
Champion

ed_lunsford wrote:Happy for Cam, however I want BC to find the next Cam.
Don't hold your breath. A CFL team gets a defender like that about once every 45 years (Tom Brown, Cam).
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:I recall at the time Wake was about to make the move to the NFL a Seahawks scout commenting that it was all very well for Wake to be dominant against CFL linemen but that he would be handled by NFL tackles. Wrong again, NFL scout.
I recall reading a lot of Dolphin fan forums/blogs when he signed down there. Very few posters/bloggers pooh poohed his CFL accomplishments. In fact, most were tremendously excited to have him signed and optimistic about how his pass rushing skills could improve their defense. Ironic that those supposedly "in the know" could be so wrong on something like that, while "plain old fans" could get it right.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Tighthead
Legend

David wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:I recall at the time Wake was about to make the move to the NFL a Seahawks scout commenting that it was all very well for Wake to be dominant against CFL linemen but that he would be handled by NFL tackles. Wrong again, NFL scout.
I recall reading a lot of Dolphin fan forums/blogs when he signed down there. Very few posters/bloggers pooh poohed his CFL accomplishments. In fact, most were tremendously excited to have him signed and optimistic about how his pass rushing skills could improve their defense. Ironic that those supposedly "in the know" could be so wrong on something like that, while "plain old fans" could get it right.

DH
Lots of teams were interested in Wake. One Seahawk scout doesn't represent the entire NFL scouting community.
joe kapp22
Legend

David wrote:

DH

Well, fan forums were mixed on him, some Dolphins fans were just ignorant about the CFL, some were positive about him but they were in the minority from my point of view.

As for the teams that passed on him, Wake has said he targeted Miami all along and turned down competitive offers from other teams to sign with the Dolphins.

I credit Wake for turning me into a CFL fan and eschewing NCAA football.

Now Shivers and Wally need to find the next "Cam Wake" and it can be done especially this offseason.

All of the UDFA's, HBCU, Div II players who normally have cups of coffee in NFL training camps now will be looking for work elsewhere...come to BC... :beer:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

DH
For my part, I will give credit to the astute personnel skills of Bill Parcells.

I did not like him much when he won with the Giants.

Over time he became one of my all time favorite coaches. How many teams did he turn around virtually overnight?

Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins (still a work in progress in his absence).
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
David wrote:

DH
For my part, I will give credit to the astute personnel skills of Bill Parcells.

Over time he became one of my all time favorite coaches. How many teams did he turn around virtually overnight?

Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins (still a work in progress in his absence).
Not on this one Bro, Ireland learned to comb through every football league looking for talent from ex KC GM Carl Peterson, toss in his Assistant GM Murphy is the son of Winnipeg's Murphy and Jeff Ireland has made it a philosophy to heavily scout the CFL going back to his Dallas Cowboys days with Tay George.

Funny how the Seahawks tried to make up for missing on Wake by signing Ricky Foley.

And it is no accident that Miami is mentioned in the mix for a Manny A tryout.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: For my part, I will give credit to the astute personnel skills of Bill Parcells.

Not on this one Bro, Ireland learned to comb through every football league looking for talent from ex KC GM Carl Peterson, toss in his Assistant GM Murphy is the son of Winnipeg's Murphy and Jeff Ireland has made it a philosophy to heavily scout the CFL going back to his Dallas Cowboys days with Tay George.

Funny how the Seahawks tried to make up for missing on Wake by signing Ricky Foley.

And it is no accident that Miami is mentioned in the mix for a Manny A tryout.
Parcells loved Linebackers more than anything. I expect he was totally involved in bringing in Cam and in evaluating him. Just my take on it ... No proof of course.

Parcells brought Ireland over from Dallas along with Tony Sparano.

Just my take ... How could Parcells not have been involved in a major acquisition of a free agent?

I recall watching his Cowboys post practice press conferences (which were hilarious by the way for his crabbiness and contempt for most reporters' questions). He was asked about draft choices etc. He said he was in the talent acquisition business, including a healthy dose of free agents carefully chosen.

Just my take ...
Tighthead
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Perhaps some credit for Cam's success should go to Wally Buono and his coaching staff...who recognized a special talent in Cam as a Defensive End, not a LB as he had been playing. The Giants cut him without even an invitation to training camp. Even his current Miami coach Sparano cut down Cam's playing time late last season...complaining he had to work on his pass coverage? I guess that's what LB's do...but can't anyone but Wally figure out that Cam's a DE? :roar:
Do you think Wake should be playing DE in Miami?

Do you think he was foolish to sign with a team that wanted him to play linebacker?