Empire Field after the glow

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Just read an interesting article on BCPlace on CFL.ca (http://cfl.ca/article/b-c-place-will-be ... h-grey-cup)

In the article it says that the Lions might lose money this year. Exact quote: "After several years of turning a profit, the Lions will be lucky to break even this year." And Braley goes on to explain "“We knew that was going to happen and we budgeted for it," Braley said.

“I didn't lose a lot of money. We have no idea at this point if we are going to be up $100,000 or down $100,000.”

From that, it doesn't seem too bad, but what I found interesting was this part: "Braley said the move cost him about 1,600-season tickets holders a game and three major sponsors."

ouch 3 major sponsors drop out because of a move to Empire? I really wonder what the rationale was for that? What major sponsor would be hurt by a move to Empire??? Let alone 3!!??

But this does have to be disconcerting to Skulsky and Braley: "The Lions drew under 25,000 five times and twice less than 22,000. The team averaged over 28,600 in 2009." However, I wonder what the difference is in operating expenses between the two fields for roughly 3,000 more fans per game?

And as a Lions fan you have to love this line from Hamilton boy Braley: "I love the Lions. I have orange blood in me. This is my team."
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
almo89
Legend

Hopefully moving back to BC Place get some of those lost season ticket sales back. I hope they spend all off season really hyping up BC Place. They need those butts in the seats once the new BC Place is ready to go.
Rammer
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:Hopefully moving back to BC Place get some of those lost season ticket sales back. I hope they spend all off season really hyping up BC Place. They need those butts in the seats once the new BC Place is ready to go.
I am not all that excited about having an open air stadium that has what amounts to a sun/moon roof. Worse is the shadow casting that it will give, at least the Lions had better choose their side of the field wisely this time around.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

For all we know the major sponsors would have pulled out regardless of the move to Empire or not.

Personally, I can't wait for them to get back to BC Place. Empire Stadium was perfectly adequate, but it was brutal for travel. The parking situation around the PNE is horrendous and the transit situation is just as bad. I also had a huge pole obstructing my view in my seats around the 15 yard line. Factor in the poor on field performance and I'm not surprised that a number of season ticket holders chose to stay home. Quite frankly, there were a few games this year where I would have preferred to stay home and watch it on TV. They can't get BC Place finished fast enough IMO.
Rammer
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:For all we know the major sponsors would have pulled out regardless of the move to Empire or not.

Personally, I can't wait for them to get back to BC Place. Empire Stadium was perfectly adequate, but it was brutal for travel. The parking situation around the PNE is horrendous and the transit situation is just as bad. I also had a huge pole obstructing my view in my seats around the 15 yard line. Factor in the poor on field performance and I'm not surprised that a number of season ticket holders chose to stay home. Quite frankly, there were a few games this year where I would have preferred to stay home and watch it on TV. They can't get BC Place finished fast enough IMO.
There were three worse games in 2009 at BC Place than anything the Lions offered up at tEmpire field. But that is mainly due to the Lions finding a D in 2010 and playing the most boring offence next to the Eskimos.
jerepeters
Rookie

Empire Field was great in 2010 not in win loss but the fricken view was awesome the mountains in the background I been a season ticket holder now 4-5 years would like to see it stay at Empire BC Place don't open till September does that mean the Lions will be playing @ Empire Field till September if David Braley can read this "your an awesome owner" don't sell the Lions sell the Argos and In BC the true BC Lions fans your all awesome sitting in section 217 was awesome it was loud at 1st but the fans were loud and proud BC Lions Fans :rockin:

as far as loosing some sponsors like some Lionbackers were saying what were they thinking was it the PNE anyway looking forward to a Lions win and an Eskimo loss and on to saskatchewan then to Edmonton for the Grey Cup :cheer:
BC Lions Fan & Season Ticket holder since 2006
Rammer
Team Captain

jerepeters wrote:Empire Field was great in 2010 not in win loss but the fricken view was awesome the mountains in the background I been a season ticket holder now 4-5 years would like to see it stay at Empire BC Place don't open till September does that mean the Lions will be playing @ Empire Field till September if David Braley can read this "your an awesome owner" don't sell the Lions sell the Argos and In BC the true BC Lions fans your all awesome sitting in section 217 was awesome it was loud at 1st but the fans were loud and proud BC Lions Fans :rockin:

as far as loosing some sponsors like some Lionbackers were saying what were they thinking was it the PNE anyway looking forward to a Lions win and an Eskimo loss and on to saskatchewan then to Edmonton for the Grey Cup :cheer:
Perhaps you touched on something. Maybe the PNE had other contracts with other sponsors that didn't jive with the ones coming over with the Lions.
LionSuperFan
Rookie

I noticed one major sponsor BC Ferries was gone and I would assume would return to BC Place what bothers me is they used empire as an excuse to jack up prices this year and now for next year seems like we have to fork out for the attendance drop. I used to sit in bronze in old Bc place now I sit in touchdown corner with my tickets going up $100 partly because of hst but works out to $7 a game with the salary cap not moving and a big tv contract on the way I feel a little beaten up as it's a tough economy for them to want more.
Bosco
Team Captain

I think that if the Lions had put together a 6 & 3 record at Empire instead of the other way around, the temp stadium might have been looked at as a great little home away from home.

Many gripes can be overlooked when your team is winning.
nelson95
Legend

I enjoyed the outdoor experience and still think the LIons were a worse club in 2009
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

On one hand I was disappointed in the attendance. On the other hand I wasn't surprised that people would stay away as the season slowly unfolded. The team's onfield performance was much better in the second half but the damage was done. The open air stadium was charming and cozy with great sightlines. However no matter which way you want to spin it the stadium was the lipstick on a location pig. The location was good for sentimental reasons but really not much else. Lack of mainstream rapid transit options made it a more difficult location to access from the vast majority of lower mainland locations. Obviously for some it would be beneficial but they would be in the minority. Losing major sponsors should not be shocking. There could be any number of circumstances leading to that. Knowing that the number of potential pairs of eyes or ears in attendance would be capped at 27500 would be a factor. Depending on the sponsors and their specific business the location may not have been conducive to maintaining those sponsorships. Those sponsors could be downtown businesses who benefit greatly from game day business and traffic. It might've made business sense for them to invest in a sponsorship at a downtown stadium but not one out in the 'burbs. Bottom line sports is a results based business or as Al Davis always said "Just Win Baby!" The location was going to cost the Lions some season ticket holders. It was going to cost them a lot of game day walk-up sales. It was going to cost them some sponsorships. Winning at a consistent basis earlier in the year would've overcome some of those things to a certain degree. But that didn't happen and the rest as they say is history.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Following up on Hambone's post, I am kind of curious if many businesses in and around BC Place noticed a drastic change in customers with the Lions gone? I'd be really curious to see some books on this and the impact the Lions had on downtown businesses. Granted it is only 10 games per season, but I would bet sales dropped significantly for some of the businesses. I'm thinking some of the pubs for sure, but the subway just up from Terry Fox plaza was always packed after a game.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

You are all too willing to leave out an important component of that equation. There are only nine home games. Nine. There are how many workers every single day for how long? Over a year?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The closure of B.C. Place for 16 or 18 months has removed more than nine Lions games from the area. Trade shows and special events that used B.C. Place have also relocated from the area and the site is now a fenced-off construction zone.