Lions part ways with Casey Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions Communications
Starter

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that quarterback Casey Printers has been released.

Click here for the full story.
Blitz
Team Captain

I didn't anticipate this until the end of the season.

It's a shame, because Casey Printers is a very talented quarterback who gave us the best chance to compete successfully but he self-imploded.

I have been a loyal Casey Printers fan. I not only loved his play in 2004, respected it in 2005, but also saw what he was capable of in 2009.

However, Casey Printers caused this himself. He was playing well overall, until his game and a half stretch where he suddenly coughed up the football way too often. However, he had another opportunity against Winnipeg. He played well overall during that fourth quarter, going 4/6 and making some clutch second down throws. Hampered by a knee injury since early in the season and attempting to play within Chap's offensive framework, Printers did not look comfortable a lot of the time, however.

The interception he threw was unfortunate. Printers didn't lose the game for us but it was the last play remembered. Instead of just going to the sidelines in remorse, he blistered Wilson and both got into it.

Casey Printers forgot that no other CFL team wanted him last season, including our Leos. However, when things got desperate, Wally knew his talents and signed him. With injuries piling up, Printers got an opportunity to play that was a very fortunate set of circumstances and Printers showed some of his old magic..the ability to extend a play, break down a defense, and make big plays.

Chap was never a Printers fan..he doesn't fit into Chap's vision of a quarterback...its always been Wally who saw his Printers abilities....Printers stock had already gone down a lot. He didn't need to throw the interception but what really finished Printers was the blowup with Wilson, the throwing of his helmet, etc.

Wally also needed to send a message to his team and this is the way he's chosen to do it. I would have waited unti the end of the season. Printers still provided us with depth.

It should have and could have been a great story. Casey Printers could have been a quarterback star in this league for years to come. He's only 28 but I doubt another CFL team will touch him. A combination of a knee injury, a lot of pressure to execute an offence that is not designed for him or any quarterback to shine, his fumblitis, and his interception all hurt. But in the end. Casey Printers did the last thing he could afford to do...he showed immaturity and a lack of leadership, in the adverse situation in Winnipeg.

Disappointing for Casey Printers, our B.C. Lions, and the many fans of Casey Printeers. I hate seeing talent wasted..its not a happy story.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

I hope Casey gets on with another team, and honestly I can see him burning us. Within the right system, Casey is one of the top QB's in the league. Wally was just too stupid to move on from the crap Chapball we've employed. :bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson .... ohhh our QB depth used to be an embarrassment of riches. :sigh:

Had so much hope especially after what he showed when he returned late last season. Don't get me wrong, I like Lulay and he seems to have a tremendous attitude but this is the first time in Wally's tenure he's hitching his wagon to a QB that really has proven nothing in this league.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Who's in charge around here?

Team Turmoil.

Does any of this stick to Teflon Wally?

When Casey was winging it last year, he looked like the guy from 2004. With Training Camp and indoctrination this year, he was not the same guy. Too much stuff in his head. In the pocket he was torn between running or staying, meanwhile trying to go through his reads. Then in his uncertainty he was holding the ball like the loaf of bread.

This reflects poorly on the team. And he is a scapegoat. Wally sending a message to the team, and to the football world: I am in charge, and I do not tolerate .... hmmm what does he not tolerate? Messam breaking Jackson's jaw? Sanchez having a tantrum and giving Winnipeg that crucial point? Mitchell blowing the game with a punch to the opponent's gut? Just a message is all it is. It is not really something that will give the team discipline.

It is a shambles ...

For a team to behave like this for a coach with a lesser record, it would be one foot out the door for the coach, perhaps both feet.

But Wally now has his scapegoat, and it will direct the heat away from him, onto Printers, who is obviously the cause of all the Lions' problems.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Should make for some some fun today at 1 at the Surrey facility.....hmmm, wonder if I can get a refund on my Printers jersey?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Should make for some some fun today at 1 at the Surrey facility.....hmmm, wonder if I can get a refund on my Printers jersey?
I expect some players will be looking around to see who else might be missing.

Team Turmoil.
Centrum22
Starter

I think he will definitely get picked-up by another CFL team within the next week or so. The only issue is which team? I wouldn't be surprised if its Winninpeg. With Buck Pierce injured, and Alex Brink showing he is not even a reliable back-up let alone starter (for now), the Bombers have a dangerous gap in their quarterback depth chart, especially now that the playoffs are in play.

I could also see Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatchewan being interested.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Centrum22 wrote:I think he will definitely get picked-up by another CFL team within the next week or so. The only issue is which team? I wouldn't be surprised if its Winninpeg. With Buck Pierce injured, and Alex Brink showing he is not even a reliable back-up let alone starter (for now), the Bombers have a dangerous gap in their quarterback depth chart, especially now that the playoffs are in play.

Your crystal ball needs some adjustment.

calgary? sask? Really??

Toronto might be dumb enough. Dont think edmonton will.

If lemon isnt such a good thing right now, then the team must be winning as much as they are with chemistry. KC would only destroy that.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Centrum22
Starter

KnowItAll wrote:
Centrum22 wrote:I think he will definitely get picked-up by another CFL team within the next week or so. The only issue is which team? I wouldn't be surprised if its Winninpeg. With Buck Pierce injured, and Alex Brink showing he is not even a reliable back-up let alone starter (for now), the Bombers have a dangerous gap in their quarterback depth chart, especially now that the playoffs are in play.

Your crystal ball needs some adjustment.

calgary? sask? Really??
Well, we will see. Those two team's aggressive, gutsy, "bombs-away" offence is a good fit for Printers.
Last edited by Centrum22 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Bombers are about the only team in the league with a depth problem at QB. But Jyles won back the starters job. If he struggles again it won't matter because the Bombers will be out of the playoffs in that case. Neither TO QB is shooting the lights out, but neither are playing any worse than CP has shown of late. Every other team is is good shape at QB right now.

There were a lot more teams a lot more desperate for a QB last season, yet no one would give CP a sniff until the LIons finally had no other option. If CP plays professional football again this year (or ever) his only option is the UFL. But as neither a NFL has-been nor a promising future NFL player, he's not a very good fit for the UFL either.
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I hope Casey gets on with another team, and honestly I can see him burning us. Within the right system, Casey is one of the top QB's in the league. Wally was just too stupid to move on from the crap Chapball we've employed. :bang:
Well considering other teams already didn't want him I doubt things have changed. His past 3 games have also given the other teams no additional reasons to want to sign him.
The_Pauser
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I hope Casey gets on with another team, and honestly I can see him burning us. Within the right system, Casey is one of the top QB's in the league. Wally was just too stupid to move on from the crap Chapball we've employed. :bang:
Well considering other teams already didn't want him I doubt things have changed. His past 3 games have also given the other teams no additional reasons to want to sign him.
Same could be said about our other QB's...fact is Casey was the best of them under the worst offensive line and scheming in the league. Get this guy an offensive line, allow him to unleash his natural abilities, and he'll put up monster numbers.
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
Same could be said about our other QB's...fact is Casey was the best of them under the worst offensive line and scheming in the league. Get this guy an offensive line, allow him to unleash his natural abilities, and he'll put up monster numbers.
I love how everything with you is "if." Ever come to think, hey he couldn't get it done? Guess what... Buck and DD could tear up this league too and LAST FOR YEARS if they got all of the protection in the world as you claim CP needs. The fact is that ain't gonna happen and he couldn't get it done with what he had. (and BP, DD couldn't keep healthy for the same reasons)
The_Pauser
Legend

Spud387 wrote: I love how everything with you is "if." Ever come to think, hey he couldn't get it done? Guess what... Buck and DD could tear up this league too and LAST FOR YEARS if they got all of the protection in the world as you claim CP needs. The fact is that ain't gonna happen and he couldn't get it done with what he had. (and BP, DD couldn't keep healthy for the same reasons)
So why aren't JJ and Lulay cut too? They can't get it done with what they have either. Everyone keeps going on about how great JJ did in 07. Well, his numbers weren't THAT great, but his win percentage was. If you put CP on that team, I bet you he looks that much better as well. Since 07, JJ hasn't done much to show that he's a top notch QB in this league hence the reason he's been number 3 on the depth chart this year. And Lulay hasn't looked better than Casey at all this season.
Roar you Lions roar!