Wally Buono talks with Ed Willes about now and the future

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Buono ... story.html

Good article by Ed Willes ... some excerpts ...
"If I believe I'm ineffective, then I'll have to step aside," said the Lions head coach and general manager. "I'd be a hypocrite and I'd be dishonest if I didn't. You know. Believe me, you know. You're not reaching the coaches. You're not reaching the players. You're not reaching anyone. At that point, you have to step aside. I know my time is coming to an end. I'm not saying it's today or tomorrow. But I know my best years are way behind me."
Last year was not a good one by the standards set earlier in his time here. Anyone who has coached a few years in any sport, for any age group, at any level, has known the good feeling of a team functioning well, and has known the helpless feeling of a group that you just cannot get going the way you want.
The Leos, as their following is painfully aware, are coming off the worst year by far of the Buono era. The 8-10 record was bad enough. But what's more disquieting was, for the first time, Buono seemed powerless to overcome the considerable adversity he faced throughout the campaign.
The ship was listing. Rudderless. I would say some rust had crept in. Some old habits had persisted, but were becoming outdated, and too well known by the opposition. The opposition itself had changed the game for the better, with a new infusion of coaching ideas and energy (Trestman, Hufnagel, Miller's crew) ... IMO ...
"When I went to Hawaii (for his annual vacation around Christmas) it wasn't fun," he said. "I couldn't let it go. The season was upsetting. It was disappointing. It was dysfunctional."
One thing about Wally: he is a survivor, in the best sense. As comfortable as he might have become with old approaches, and aging systems, he could see that change was needed.
"We've talked about it," answered Lions defensive coordinator Mike Benevides when asked about the team's line of succession. Benevides is widely presumed to be Buono's heir apparent. I think he's going to coach for a lot longer. People don't realize how competitive he is. He didn't like what happened a year ago. That's put a burr under his saddle. I think he sees a challenge."
Personally I am not sold on Mike Benevides as successor. His resume is rather thin on accomplishments, IMO ...
"You know what really helped," said Buono, answering a question that hadn't been asked. "The Olympics. You just couldn't help but get excited about things. When you're in sports, you live in that world. Maybe not to that level but the adrenalin and the excitement are the same."
For sports fans in the Lower Mainland, in B.C., and across the country the Olympics were inspirational.

Buono has certainly earned the loyalty of David Braley, and has given Lions' fans the longest sustained respectability in their franchise's history. His efforts since last season's sad finale, have already shown signs of a turnaround. It is very, very early to assume the Lions can challenge once again for the Grey Cup, but it does look clear to me that the energy, motivation and commitment are back with the team. If Buono can truly bring the team back to the top level, I would have to say it is as great an achievement as he has had in his long career.