B.C. Place Roof In Jeopardy??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

A report on Global TV warns that provincial funding for B.C. Place's retractable roof may be in jeopardy. More is expected to be known perhaps as early as tomorrow, but cabinet minister Kevin Krueger admits the funding may be delayed....IF funding arrives at all. :bang:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Saw the report to Bosco ... unfrickin believable.

Have to feel sorry for the Whitecaps as much as the Lions. Can someone wake me up when this nightmare of a season is over. :bang: :bang:
Bosco
Team Captain

The speculation is that even IF funding is provided, the 2011 completion deadline will be no sure thing. :sigh:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

It sounds as though the project is as good as dead. I am disappointed to the point of disgust. Fiberals.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

From the BC Liberal website in March:
NDP Dishonesty Climbs to New Heights on BC Place Roof

March 2, 2009

NDP Dishonesty Climbs to New Heights on BC Place Roof

Because of the new retractable roof on BC Place, more events will be able to be hosted, and the positive economic impact climbs 50% higher versus going with a non-retractable roof. The NDP, after arguing FOR a new roof, now say that the plan should be scrapped. That’s dishonest, and it shows their incompetence in understanding the economic benefits of tourism.

Renovating BC Place and adding a retractable roof is creating almost 2,500 jobs
Because of the new roof, Vancouver will be able to attract more than 40 additional ‘high-margin’, major events per year – bringing almost $100-million additional dollars worth of economic impact to the region, including the 2011 Grey Cup.
Every additional night of events means additional business for hotels, restaurants, taxis, and other tourism-dependent businesses.

A$$HOLE$!
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Not trying to defend them as I'd like to see that new lid just as badly as any Lions fan. However economic times being as they are they rightfully have to leave no stone unturned in efforts to reduce spending. As much as the new roof is deemed an essential item for the Lions and Whitecaps it has to fall under the category of discretionary spending for the government today in Q3 2009. The Dome can operate quite nicely thank you for a few more years without that part of the reno. I work in an industry that has been decimated by the evaporation of the US lumber market and further hammered by a loonie pushing towards par. I'm now picking up a couple months work shuttering yet another mill in a long string of closures. Speculation is the mill will reopen, but anything before 2011 is likely wishful thinking. Even when the roof was being announced many in the industry were cautiously optimistic there would be signs of a slow recovery by now. Fast forward 2 years and now they're hoping things will turn in late 2010. When you work in the forest industry it's quite easy to see how government revenues can disappear in a hurry to the tune of hundreds of millions from one sector alone. I've seen enough tough decisions made in this sector that financially neuter whole communities. In that regard the roof being delayed for a few years is a minor inconvenience or irritant to a few sports fans, me included. The roof still has to be replaced eventually, but it sure isn't the end of the world or the Lions if the project is delayed for a year or two. Beyond that though then I'll get mad. :2cents:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Then don't make the promise in the first place.

Kerfoot must be livid; He can't build the stadium he wants, and won't play in the stadium he was promised.

That being said, perhaps it's now time to seriously look at blowing the thing up, flipping the land and looking at an alternative outdoor stadium for the Lions, Caps and other events.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Can someone wake me up when this nightmare of a season is over. :bang: :bang:
:violin:

The sun will come out tomorrow. The sky isn't falling. We have 10 remaining games, plenty of time to turn the season around.
nelson95
Legend

I would watch the Lions in Mundy Park

Roof doesn't matter although we had the great economy for a loooong time but we all know where the focus was in infrastructure
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Kevin Krueger...worst minister the Crown ever had. Hatchet man.

The New Dome is done...long live the old dome.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Can someone wake me up when this nightmare of a season is over. :bang: :bang:
:violin:

The sun will come out tomorrow. The sky isn't falling. We have 10 remaining games, plenty of time to turn the season around.
No the sky isn't falling but guess what direction their season ticket base is headed if they don't make a dramatic turnaround on the field and the new roof is scrapped?

The renovated stadium was something the franchise had to fall back on to sell tickets even if it was headed in a rebuilding mode.

F@#% the Liberals for this.
mrs.joesports
Rookie

We need some good news soon....doesn't look like any is on the horizon, though.

I understand that when the provincial govt is having to make cuts to health care, it wouldn't be prudent to be spending on a stadium roof. It's just so disappointing. :thdn:

Governments love to spend money and be the good guys...the finances in this province must be far worse than we can even imagine for the govt to be announcing all these very unpopular cuts within the past few weeks. Running out of parties to vote for in this province.

Sun Article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Place+roof+ ... story.html
This is OUR league...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The $300-million cost of the roof replacement was just an estimate prior to the tenders being called. I wonder if the bids came in higher than that? Here's a Province story:
New B.C. Place roof could be delayed
David
Team Captain

Do you recall our hard fought win in Regina in the West Semi-Final when we were firing on all cylinders? Consider all that has gone awry for the organization since then:

* 11/14/08: We walked into McMahon and should have beaten the Stamps after leading 12-2 in the first half. All those field goals however, proved our undoing as the Stampeders came from behind to edge the Leos 22-18.

* 1/19/09: Cam Wake leaves for Miami. Not unexpected, but a player like him comes along only once in a decade....

* 2/9/09: Stefan Logan surprises the club by bolting for the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers. Hard rock LB Jamall Johnson signs with Tampa Bay but is later released. We couldn't come to terms and he signed in Hamilton where he's flourishing.

* No fewer than 5 familiar and popular faces leave the Lions' Den in the off-season including: Jason Clermont, Rob Murphy, Otis Floyd, Ty Williams, and Kelly Bates. We're assured that their time is up (except for Murphy who signed with Toronto as a free agent). The fact that their contributions to their new teams thus far is negligible bears that out. But the moves weren't popular with the fan base and it couldn't have helped the off-season ticket drive. So far, their replacements haven't exactly lit the league on fire (except perhaps Jackson for Clermont).

* 5/2/09: The organization was giddy after selecting 3 top-notch prospects in the 1st round of the draft. However, Jamall Lee still hasn't returned from his NFL tryout with Carolina, and Hamilton plucked WR Matt Carter from our practice roster. The fact the club didn't seem too perturbed indicates it might not have been the right choice from the outset.

* 6/6/09: NFL veteran Martin Bibla who was pencilled in at Rob Murphy's LT position walks out on the club after the first day of camp. He's proving to be a sage.

* 6/23/09: Looking flat and uninspired, the Leos conclude their pre-season by going 0-2. A portent of things to come?

* 8/21/09: The Lions are off to a disasterous 3-5 start including two blowout home losses by a combined score of 85 - 20. Last year we didn't have a single home attendance less than 30,000. Thus far? Only one crowd above 30,000. Fans are disillusioned, season ticket holders are pissed off, and the club is getting hammered in the media.

* 8/25/09: To add insult to injury, the retractable roof the club was counting on to entice future season ticket holders and appease current ones could be cancelled.

I'll let the Four Tops take over from here....

[youtube][/youtube]
Roar, You Lions, Roar
almo89
Legend

I feel sorry for Kerfoot more than anybody else. Even with no roof, the Leos still have a place to play. Kerfoot can't even build his own stadium with his own money and now this.