BC Lions @ Toronto Argonauts - Aug. 14, 2009 Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

The BC Lions (2-4) make the trip to Ontario for the second time in three weeks to take on the Toronto Argonauts (2-4) on Friday night. The Lions come off arguably their biggest win of the season last Friday night, defeating the Saskatchewan Roughriders 35-20, and now look begin the first of five consecutive games versus East Division opponents that will take them into late September before facing a division foe (Calgary – Sept. 25).

The Toronto Argonauts enter Friday’s tilt with a chip on their collective shoulder after a 25-0 drubbing at the hands of the Montreal Alouettes. The Argos remain tied with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at 2-4 and will look for a better effort at home.

The Lions have had the Argos’ number of late, winning nine of the last 10 meetings including the last eight in a row dating back to 2004. Last season, the Leos tamed the Boatmen 24-20 in Toronto and 55-32 at BC Place.

On offence, the Lions managed to absorb three first-quarter turnovers including an interception in the end zone to eventually put up 353 yards of offence and 28 of the team’s 35 points in the win. Quarterback Buck Pierce was good on 26 of 34 attempts for 215 yards and a TD and also helped himself out of some tenuous situations with four rushes for 33 yards. Pierce will now face an Argo defence that surrendered 465 total yards last week including 396 through the air.

Up front, the offensive line enjoyed a dominating performance versus the ‘Riders last week, opening the way for Martell Mallett to roll-up 99 rushing yards and a touchdown on 17 carries and a total of 138 yards on the ground. Mallett currently leads the CFL in yards from scrimmage with 656. The strong play in the trenches allowed the Lions to hold almost a 10-minute advantage in time of possession.

At receiver, Paris Jackson continues to enjoy a strong season and now ranks third among CFL receivers with 33 receptions for 408 yards. Jackson’s eight-catch, 92-yard performance led the Lions last week despite the rangy slotback missing parts of the second and third quarters while shaking off the effects of a hard hit over the middle. Geroy Simon sits in ninth spot among receivers with 20 catches for 311 yards but would love to have a break-out performance Friday. Rookie Emmanuel Arceneaux continues to be a steady contributor as he recorded six catches for 40 yards.

On defence, the Black and Orange rebounded from a disappointing outing in Hamilton two weeks ago to limit Saskatchewan to 83 yards on the ground. A telling stat in the club’s improved play in the trenches was ‘Rider running back Wes Cates having six rushes for three yards or less by late in the third quarter. The D also recorded four turnovers on the night (three interceptions, one on downs), including a Korey Banks pick that put the Leos inside the ‘Rider five yard-line in the first quarter.

Along the defensive line, Brent Johnson had one of his strongest performances in two seasons with three tackles and three sacks last week. Ricky Foley notched three defensive tackles as well as his fourth sack on the season with Aaron Hunt and Jeremy Gibbs rounding out the starting four with two stops of their own. Toronto has given up a league-high 26 sacks to date, but look for former Lion Rob Murphy to try and establish a physical edge for the Argos.

The linebacker position was a hot topic for fans and media last week after the signing JoJuan Armour. The return of Armour certainly didn’t disappoint as the edgy ‘backer helped get his teammates fired up in pre-game and proceeded to make a couple key tackles. Not to be outdone however, Javy Glatt picked up his second interception of the season along with two special teams tackles. Anton McKenzie picked up four tackles and a sack versus his former team and currently sits in fourth place overall with 32 stops on the year. The linebacker corps will need the support of the big bodies up front to keep Toronto’s Jamal Robertson in check.

In the secondary, Ryan Phillips and Korey Banks picked up interceptions with Banks’ contribution leading to a Lions major and Phillip’s pick ending the first half on a high note last week. Toronto’s Kerry Joseph has tossed 10 interceptions to date and may be replaced by Cody Pickett which will add a wrinkle to the Argos’ offence. He will also have a motivated former Leo in Cory Rodgers in his stable of receivers eager to make plays. First-year defensive backs Darren Toney and Trestin George continue to progress in the backfield – they had eight tackles between them last week. George also saw Saskatchewan’s Rob Bagg get in behind him for a 47-yard TD and he’ll likely get some attention on the corner this Friday.

After some key injuries early on in the season, Lions special teams have evolved from a question mark to an exclamation point with outstanding performances by kicker Sean Whyte and return man Ryan Grice-Mullen. Whyte, who hit all four of his field goal attempts last week and averaged 39.7-yards punting along with a 56.1-yard average on six kickoffs was named CFL Special Teams Player of the Week. Ryan Grice-Mullen was within inches of breaking at least two returns last week. The former standout at Hawaii is still learning the ropes but has Wally Buono’s full endorsement after notching a 25-yard punt return and a 36-yard kickoff return versus the ‘Riders to earn a runner-up nod behind Whyte.

The Lions have also done a good job of covering kicks downfield and have received great performances out of Jason Arakgi and James Yurichuk this season. Arakgi currently leads the CFL with 14 special teams stops with Yurichuk not far behind with nine. It’s Yurichuk, however, that leads the “advancing a fumble by way of foot” category and his heads-up play which led to a major score was the spark that ignited a Lions team in the second half of last week’s win.

At 2-4 the Lions remain in an uphill climb out of the West Division cellar despite being just a single win behind Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatchewan. Wally Buono, who sits just two wins from tying Don Matthews’ all-time mark of 231, believes his club is pointed in the right direction but only a win in Toronto will show whether or not they’re on the right track.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
dpoe
Starter

oooh, I like predictions... Based on intel from practices provided by members of this board, the info in the excellent post above, the momentum built in last week's game, and the fact that I am a shameless homer - let's start this off by saying:

BC 38

TOR 17

Looking forward to Paris Jackson having a huge game today.
ziggy
Legend

Lions by 17.
rareair
All Star

Lions 24 Argos 13
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
zark
Champion

rareair wrote:Lions 24 Argos 13
With rock'n' roll bagpipes behind us we can't lose. I love Rare Air.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
nelson95
Legend

38-5 BC

Murphy kicked out in 2nd quarter

Casey in Argoland next week
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Rammer
Team Captain

Anyone warming up their arm with a cold one yet?

Lions are going to see a different Argo O according to Cory Rodgers in today's Province. He seems to be the most bitter about his current status as a former Lion. Murphy wants to get under Foley's skin and anyone else who will listen, but that is just Murphy, and I haven't heard a peep out of Pottinger, who has to thank the Lions for the tutelage. Lions have a huge degree of success against the Argo's over the recent past, but this isn't the same Lions. Enjoy the game and Roar Lions Roar, let us prey.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Anyone warming up their arm with a cold one yet?

Lions are going to see a different Argo O according to Cory Rodgers in today's Province. He seems to be the most bitter about his current status as a former Lion. Murphy wants to get under Foley's skin and anyone else who will listen, but that is just Murphy, and I haven't heard a peep out of Pottinger, who has to thank the Lions for the tutelage. Lions have a huge degree of success against the Argo's over the recent past, but this isn't the same Lions. Enjoy the game and Roar Lions Roar, let us prey.
YEPPERS!! :rockin: :beer:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
LFITQ
Team Captain

Hoping this ?GOLF? ends soon...

Can't believe golf would bump the football game??!??
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Rammer wrote:Anyone warming up their arm with a cold one yet?

YEPPERS!! :rockin: :beer:
Golf! This is not good, where is the game? Second round golf, TSN get your act together.
Bobbyp
Champion

is this on TSN2 ?
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Rammer
Team Captain

Off to listen to the start on the TEAM 1040, please don't let me down.
Bobbyp
Champion

what hole are these clowns on
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Rammer
Team Captain

Bobbyp wrote:is this on TSN2 ?
No Tennis is repeating on that channel.