Montreal Not out of MLS Race

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstdown45

Montreal now willing to pony up the $ 40 million to knock out Vancouver and enter the MLS:

It's from www.mls-rumors.net

Hello,

I'm writing you because much has been made about Montreal withdrawing its bid for this round of expansion. While that is true do not count Montreal out entirely. Rumor has it that at least one official from MLS will be present at a sold out Olympic Stadium for Impact de Montréal's CONCACAF Champions League fixture vs Mexico's Santos Laguna. This person also tells me MLS may be willing to let Montreal in at the price that the Impact offered to join, $40 million Canadian Dollars with the caveat that MLS for the first 4 years would take a greater share of their gate receipts. I can not tell you where I heard this other than it was from a credible source. Please keep my name anonymous and keep up the good work.

Indeed according to this article over on The Offside, over 42,000 tickets have been sold. Quite an impressive number for any MLS exec and certainly worth a closer look.

The Montreal Impact announced Friday it had sold more than 42,000 tickets for the quarterfinal game of the CONCACAF Champions League, on February 25, at Olympic Stadium against Mexican club Santos Laguna. The Cesar Millan backed club will be facing most probably the biggest crowd ever for a CONCACAF game in Montréal.

With this milestone, the Impact has established a new sales record for a CONCACAF game. In 2005, approximately 40,000 people had assisted to the Champions Cup final game between Pumas UNAM (Mexico) and Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica).
Last edited by firstdown45 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote::sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
:lol:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
firstdown45

well considering today is just a snoozefest for the Lions as they lost Murphy and didn't get Lloyd, I'd say this is big sports news

fine, go back to bed children
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

nelson95
Legend

42,000 in Montreal during hockey season is impressive

I assume most of them have never been in that dump(the big O that is)
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

There is no link or source given (standard fare for fd45) for any of the actual numbers.....they could have sold 42000 tickets at a buck a ticket for all we know.

Bottom line is Montreal has no impact anymore, much like any "fresh info" provided by db120/fd45
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
firstdown45

It's from www.mls-rumors.net

Not that anyone HERE would care.

Find it interesting they're expecting 55,000 for the CONCAF game at Olympic Stadium.

The Alouettes might be lucky to draw 25,000 for an Eastern Final.

But as I said, not that any CFL fan on here would care
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

66,308 at the Big O last November

57,125 in the 2002 East final
60,007 in the 2003 East final
51,296 in the 2004 East final
35,607 in the 2006 East final
38,132 in the 2008 East final

This is paid attendance, not CONCAF giveaway projected attendance.

Maybe you should post some facts rather than rumours. Or at least bring db120 back for attendance threads.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David Beckham wants out of the MLS. What does that say ? Over to you 120db
firstdown45

Tickets for the Montreal CONCAF game range from $ 10 to $ 50. It's not a giveaway.

I know this chokes you, but you really should think twice before posting utter garbage
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Yeah, 42,000 tickets, just like they “sell” 12,000 for every USL match, yet somehow the stadium is always empty. They give away tickets like they lose MLS bids. :lol:

I'd love to know what the revenue is from the gate....I would guess at least 20-30% under capacity.

Big difference between projected sales and paid attendance. But then you know that, remember that garbage about the Al's not being able to get more than 25K for an Eastern Final.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Bleddyn
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:David Beckham wants out of the MLS. What does that say ? Over to you 120db
It says that people who want to compete on the world stage can't do so in a summer league. His making public light of that is bad PR for the MLS. Anyone with a hope of making a World Cup or Euro contending national side won't go near the MLS now. His reasoning (publicly) is that with the summer schedule he is not playing right now, and he needs to be playing to keep fit, and be seen in good playing form so he can be nominated to team England.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Comparison time: (Both are CONCACAF Champions League games)
Montreal/Santos - median ticket price: $30 CDN ($24 USD)
Houston/Atlante - median ticket price: $46 CDN ($37 USD)

How can you claim that $10 seats are not essentially a giveaway?
How many of those 42000 are travelling to Montreal to see the game?

Reading and believing heresay from a site called MLS-Rumours is like tuning into 104.9 Clear FM for Lions football talk.